PDA

View Full Version : First CEL (Updates from trip to dealer today)

delkat
02-09-2008, 01:14 AM
I through a CEL tonight after about 550 miles on the X.Â* I really haven't run the car hard because of the break in period.

I noticed the idle jumping aroung from 500-1K rpm when I would restart the car warm the other day.Â* It even stalled a couple of times after about 5-10 seconds of running when the idle was jumping around.Â* I'm not sure what's up but I'll probably have to wait until Monday to find out.

earlyapex aka jack ass
02-09-2008, 01:16 AM
Does it seem to drive fine other than the CEL and the odd idle?

Unowned
02-09-2008, 07:09 PM
i rarely get that same jumpy idle you describe as well, but it recovers well (or else i notice and push the throttle a bit) and never quite stalls out. unfortunately nothing will connect to the can bus yet so we could read your Cel code ourselves :(. No CEL on mine so far. I've run the car hard many times now :)

player67
02-09-2008, 08:34 PM
oh damn *subsribed

greasemonkey
02-09-2008, 09:16 PM
If the cel is on. You should be able to check codes with a OBD II scan tool regardless if it has a CAN

SavageEvo8
02-09-2008, 10:19 PM
sounds like they might need to issue a TSB with a reprogram of the ECU...? not good that the locals that own these already experience similar problems

delkat
02-10-2008, 01:52 AM
The car runs fine other than the erratic idle and occasionally stalling on hot re-start (sometimes). The power delivery under full throttle feels a little jumpy also at times. It doesn't feel smooth and progressive; almost like the ECu is pulling timing. It may be the super rich fuel map.

I'll take it in on Monday and let you know what they find.

SavageEvo8
02-10-2008, 09:23 AM
The car runs fine other than the erratic idle and occasionally stalling on hot re-start (sometimes). The power delivery under full throttle feels a little jumpy also at times. It doesn't feel smooth and progressive; almost like the ECu is pulling timing. It may be the super rich fuel map.

dude, you can not say "other than that the car is running fine". that is a huge problem. im sorry to hear your car has the hick-ups. please post a diagnostic report when you get out of the dealership. good luck to you and your ride

nebolic
02-10-2008, 09:25 AM

noticed that too but i haven't thrown a cel. I think I have a fix for it to smoothen the power pull and stop the erratic idle. PM me.

nebo

warpspeed
02-10-2008, 08:04 PM
It's deja vu of the '03 Evo VIII with the P0300. I thought Mitsu. would learn from it.

delkat
02-12-2008, 12:50 AM
I made it to the dealer today and the CEL is P1320 - Retard Ignition Timing Fail.Â* As you know catalytic converters don't do much when they are cold so evidently the new ECU is suppose to retart the timing when the water temp is between 45 and 97 degrees F.Â* This creates more heat in the cylinder and heats the cat up faster.Â* If the ECU senses less than 3 degrees of retard for more than 10 seconds, it throws a P1320.

The tech wasn't sure what was causing this so he called Mitsu central intelligence (?) and they were aware of the issue.Â* It's a false CEL and a known problem.Â* They will be shipping a re-flash in mid April to fix it.Â* It seems to get triggered when you turn the key on but don't start the vehicle or some sequence of ignition key events.

Anyway, no worries.

PANGES
02-12-2008, 12:55 AM
Sigh. Damn first year production vehicles. =/

Hope over the next year or two, the X doesn't have like a billion TSB.

tam@xperformance
02-14-2008, 09:46 AM
Lemme know if you need your CEL reset, I haven't had the chance to check out the X. 8)