PDA

View Full Version : heads up! CHP is getting new unmarked dodge chargers

chrisw
02-24-2008, 08:06 AM
http://telstarlogistics.typepad.com/telstarlogistics/2008/02/undercover-dodg.html

http://telstarlogistics.typepad.com/photos/uncategorized/2008/02/20/chpnewcharger.jpg
http://telstarlogistics.typepad.com/telstarlogistics/images/2008/02/20/newchargers_2.jpg
http://telstarlogistics.typepad.com/telstarlogistics/images/2008/02/20/chpchargers3_2.jpg

this is how the parking lot is supposed to look
http://telstarlogistics.typepad.com/telstarlogistics/images/2008/02/20/chpcrownvics.jpg

http://www.autoblog.com/2008/02/23/california-speeders-beware-chips-getting-new-unmarked-chargers/

mtsevovii
02-24-2008, 08:53 AM
nice

MR EVO 8
02-24-2008, 08:56 AM
Does it have a Hemi?

chrisw
02-24-2008, 09:23 AM
Does it have a Hemi?

https://www.fleet.chrysler.com/fleetcda/fleetus?pageid=1295

Most available horsepower and torque (5.7L 340hp, 390 lb.-ft of torque)

brochure
https://www.fleet.chrysler.com/fleetcda/files/site1/type5/1830_en_e_bflt08_028_police_flyer.pdf

uhoh_evo
02-24-2008, 10:48 AM
Tracy PD has been using chargers for about a year. Maybe only two er three. But I think it's dumb since there's no need for the speed in town.

But driving home will definitely be a pain because now we have another car to be paranoid about!

Bagsik_EVOVIII
02-24-2008, 10:50 AM
wow..CHP too...fremont already have a couple with all black undercover...

m3thodman6
02-24-2008, 11:36 AM
Alameda county sherrifs have 15 brand new ones well pretty soon all police dept will have chargers cuz ford is getting rid of the crown vics Highway patrol have the srt8 engines

Unowned
02-24-2008, 11:52 AM
The question is are they going to have any markings at all? You don't have to stop for an unmarked car and you're supposed to call 911 to get confirmation or else you could get raped.

DirectorSe7en
02-24-2008, 12:29 PM
Is that seriously the law Matt? I don't wanna keep driving only to find out I'm supposed to pull over, lol.

Huys evo
02-24-2008, 01:26 PM
i saw some marked one in sacramento and elk grove

mtsevovii
02-24-2008, 01:39 PM
ive got pics of my evo with East Palo Alto PD and their chargers :p it was posted up sometime last year.

fiaevo.com
02-24-2008, 02:04 PM
Crown vic dies next year and chevy impala is ghey. The sad part is, that all of this BS effort are to stop speeders..... cause I know that the drug trade, murderers and the rapist are still flourishing... but damn straight they will protect the public from my loud exhaust.

player67
02-24-2008, 04:31 PM
Crown vic dies next year and chevy impala is ghey. The sad part is, that all of this BS effort are to stop speeders..... cause I know that the drug trade, murderers and the rapist are still flourishing... but damn straight they will protect the public from my loud exhaust.

Seriously...

masurie
02-24-2008, 04:38 PM
The question is are they going to have any markings at all? You don't have to stop for an unmarked car and you're supposed to call 911 to get confirmation or else you could get raped.

they should have marking......otherwise everyone with chargers can just get one of these

http://www.projectresponder.com/police-lights.htm

and start doing prank.....

i will never stop for an unmarked one.....

mtsevovii
02-24-2008, 04:54 PM

they should have marking......otherwise everyone with chargers can just get one of these

http://www.projectresponder.com/police-lights.htm

and start doing prank.....

i will never stop for an unmarked one.....

how can you tell at night if its marked or not?

DoggDicker
02-24-2008, 05:05 PM
I can out run them too...hahahahahahahahahahahahahahaha...

DD

player67
02-24-2008, 05:10 PM
This sucks my eye is so trained to look out for crown victoria body styles (mercury etc) over the years and no I gotta look out for chargers toooo

mtsevovii
02-24-2008, 05:16 PM

DD

cant outrun planes/helicopters/ and the radio ;)

DoggDicker
02-24-2008, 05:21 PM

DD

I is more faster than Superman...haha...

DD

mtsevovii
02-24-2008, 05:22 PM

DD

I is more faster than Superman...haha...

DD

oh damn thats stupid fast! :lol:

DoggDicker
02-24-2008, 05:23 PM
That's me...:lol:...

DD

Sfkn2
02-24-2008, 05:59 PM
Oh wow.

bricel24
02-24-2008, 06:18 PM
This sucks my eye is so trained to look out for crown victoria body styles (mercury etc) over the years and no I gotta look out for chargers toooo

+1 those headlights on the crown vics are so distinct, I mistaken taxi cabs for popos too lol

Positron
02-24-2008, 06:27 PM
iono, i wouldnt run from unmarked police. They are plainclothes cops/dectectives with police vests driving it and they mean business when they put on the lights.

DirectorSe7en
02-24-2008, 09:52 PM
So how which counties will be getting these? I need to know where to be looking.....

SilverStreak
02-26-2008, 05:18 PM
Didn't NYC get some chargers already?

I don't like the idea of having them unmarked at all...but whatever

Not too worried since I drive mildly anyways.

I guess I can keep an eye. Supposedly the CHP near Sac has volvo's in it's fleet. In addition I read a story somewhere that various counties are getting Mustang Cobra's and modded 350z's to deal with "illegal street racing"

nebolic
02-26-2008, 05:22 PM
In addition I read a story somewhere that various counties are getting Mustang Cobra's and modded 350z's to deal with "illegal street racing"

why... they still won't be able to keep up ;)

nebo

SilverStreak
02-26-2008, 05:27 PM
LOL...true...but hey, I'm sure any department would take on extra funding and an extra fleet of cars just by saying they have a "street racing" problem.

DirectorSe7en
02-26-2008, 05:29 PM
all of this BS effort are to stop speeders..... cause I know that the drug trade, murderers and the rapist are still flourishing... but damn straight they will protect the public from my loud exhaust.

That should be a T-Shirt quote.

Omar@FIA
02-26-2008, 06:01 PM
Last week I saw a white chp dodge charger completely stock looking and it had white vinyl stickers that said CHP but it couldnt be seen due to the fact that the car was all white. It had the CHP seal but instead of having the big one on the door it was a very small one on the 2 front fenders. The antennas werent beigger either. It was 2 small black boxes, kind of like the satellite radio things, on the roof. The lights were not visible either. They were very thin and inside the car. He pulled over someone who was on the carpool lane because the guy was driving by himself. The guy didn't even notice it was a CHP. Oh yeah, I saw this 2 days ago at 9:30AM on the 580 near the Asbhy Exit heading towards San Francisco.

Edit: Correction this happened last week.

PANGES
02-26-2008, 06:33 PM
In addition I read a story somewhere that various counties are getting Mustang Cobra's and modded 350z's to deal with "illegal street racing"

why... they still won't be able to keep up ;)

nebo

That's what I was thinking. :lol:

hbplayaz
02-27-2008, 06:34 AM
I am glad to know that hard earned tax dollars are better spent on a bunch of people who probably do as much real police work as the crew from reno 911 so they can burn up gas and endanger more people do to their inferior driving skills (ie: look up ANY high speed pursuit as it generally yields little benefit considering the amount of risk they put everyone in)...I find it ironic how much the state of CA complains we need to be more green but we will allow law enforcement to drive anything but economical cars...there are at least 3 navigators and 5 ford trucks with the V10 in them in Napa alone...gotta love this state

DirectorSe7en
02-27-2008, 10:40 AM
^Well said.

mr2030
03-16-2008, 09:28 AM
there is 2 or 3 Chargers For Fremont and it's marked traffic div, And East PaloAlto PD had the first Chager around the BAY.

DirectorSe7en
03-16-2008, 11:46 AM
Yup, when I worked in EPA I'd see them all the time, only the Sheriffs got to drive them.

Becuase of this thread, everytime I see a Charger, I slow waaaay down.

sprytsi
03-16-2008, 01:10 PM
Sheriff Charger in Martinez, saw it at Walmart yesterday and keep seeing them on the freeway (4).

Did anyone notice the standard engine is the V6? 250hp/250tq FTL. The article says they paid an average of ~$22k for each one, sounds like the V6 to me...

I wonder how long before a rookie wraps a Hemi charger around a tree. They had problems with that with the old 5.0 police cars.

I slow down for taxis sometimes too, they use retired patrol vehicles!

Ben
03-16-2008, 01:45 PM
Sheriff Charger in Martinez, saw it at Walmart yesterday and keep seeing them on the freeway (4).

Did anyone notice the standard engine is the V6? 250hp/250tq FTL. The article says they paid an average of ~$22k for each one, sounds like the V6 to me...

I wonder how long before a rookie wraps a Hemi charger around a tree. They had problems with that with the old 5.0 police cars.

I slow down for taxis sometimes too, they use retired patrol vehicles!

I had one of those Chargers fly by me two weeks ago. I couldn't even tell it was a cop. I was getting on from Center street and was already past 100 getting onto the freeway and I see some lights in the far distance closing the gap to be really fast. I slowed down but was telling my friend it's probably not a cop but I get nervous when someone closes the distance between us that fast..sure enough it was a cop. I had slowed down pretty good and he did a ricer fly by on me.

mbrickner
03-22-2008, 12:28 PM
Any confirmation to what engine they have?

I think it's BS our tax dollars are paying for this.Â* Because speeders are the most dangerous thing out there and need to be caught, not gun wielding gangsters.

Oh and in the brochure:
SELECT STANDARD police equipment
3.5L High Output V6 engine with 250 hp @ 6,400 rpm
and 250 lb-ft of torque @ 3,800 rpm (based on midgrade
unleaded fuel)

So they boast the 350 hp, but it's not standard..

evoredy
03-22-2008, 12:57 PM
I think it's BS our tax dollars are paying for this. Because speeders are the most dangerous thing out there and need to be caught, not gun wielding gangsters.

dude, you got it all wrong. gun wielding gangsters, rapists, murderers, thieves, etc ARE speeders, and thus we need better equipment to catch these speeders/car enthusiasts which clearly fall under this red flagged category. :lol:

on the plus side, they do get better gas milage than the crown vics if they are v6's. as much as the law enforcement educational category coencides with gameshow host and railroad brake operator, i still agree with them that they need to change/dump some aging aspects too--like crappy v8 boats. this might be just a beta test anyways...

coffeecandy
04-06-2008, 12:34 PM
Vehicle and Uniform Used by Officers

40800. (a) A ( )1 traffic officer on duty for the exclusive or main purpose of enforcing the provisions of Division 10 (commencing with Section 20000) or 11 (commencing with Section 21000) ( )2 shall wear a full distinctive uniform, and if the officer while ( )3 on duty uses a motor vehicle, it must be painted a distinctive color specified by the commissioner.

(b) This section does not apply to an officer assigned exclusively to the duty of investigating and securing evidence in reference to the ( )4 theft of a vehicle or failure of a person to stop in the event of an accident or violation of Section 23109 or 23109.1 or in reference to a ( )4 felony charge, or to an ( )4 officer engaged in serving a ( )4 warrant when the officer is not engaged in patrolling the highways for the purpose of enforcing the traffic laws.

Amended Sec. 18, Ch. 682, Stats. 2007. Effective January 1, 2008.
The 2007 amendment added the italicized material, and at the point(s) indicated, deleted the following:

1. “Everyâ€
2. “of this codeâ€
3. “soâ€
4. “anyâ€

http://www.dmv.ca.gov/pubs/vctop/d17/vc40800.htm

mbrickner
04-06-2008, 03:31 PM
They are painted black and white though, so how does it apply?

coffeecandy
04-06-2008, 05:30 PM
http://www.bayarearidersforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=167813&highlight=unmarked Good read....if you are trying to get pulled over by an unmarked vehicle do so in a manner that isn't evading such as speeding then call the police station (311 or 911) to verify that is a police officer.