PDA

View Full Version : Next round of mods to come

JDMevoBOOST
02-25-2008, 03:22 PM
Well like many others, I have a fascination with seeing how far I can push the stock turbo with bolt ons and tuning. :P

Here is the next round.

WOT ported IM
WOT ported TB
WOT ported 10.5 hotside
GM boost solenoid
Cams and gears
Headstuds
Valvesprings and retainers
Upgraded clutch and SS line
Lighter FW

This is about 3K worth of parts and hope to be making some more TQ and better throttle response. :lol:

After I roll around with these new toys for a while I'll probably switch the green in for my 30K mile celebration. :D

JDMevoBOOST
02-25-2008, 04:20 PM
Not sure what cams to go with...so many options available. I know that Bryan is more familiar with Cossie and HKS, but part of me wants to try something different (Tomei or Kelford)

As for the gears, I am hoping that I can still buy some of those non-slip guaranteed cam gears (the ones that lock into place)

And as for the clutch, I am looking into ATS stuff. I was very impressed with their FD on my ITR and I wanted to give their evo clutch a try. Looking into an FD and gearset as well, not sure if they make them.

player67
02-25-2008, 09:10 PM
Shouldnt matter too much which cam gear you use, good luck! I wanna see how far you can get

JDMevoBOOST
03-17-2008, 04:09 PM
Ooops change of plans. Well seeing how hard it is to get a green I am just going to go for it while I can get it.

So March Madness Mods are as follows:

-FPGreen 10.5 ported
-sending the FPgreen hotside to MIL.SPEC for porting
-Koyo radiator
-Samco Radiator Hose
-ARC bling I/C pipe (got it used :P) CVR flaked on me....no pipe
-GM Boost Solenoid

Then April "420" Izz A Celebration BitcheZ! Round
-Cosworth M2 Cams or GSC S2
-Supertech Ti valvesprings and retainers
-Power Enterprise Timing Belt
-HKS Cam Gear
-L19 head studs
-MIL.SPEC 65mm TB
-MIL.SPEC ported intake mani
-Hondata I/M gasket
-New valve cover gasket
-Powdercoated valve cover (undetermined color)

Then Comes the "G/F bday month gotta get myself shit too yanno" Round of mods
-Exedy Stage II 4 puck street clutch
-Lightweight F/W
-275-40-17 RA1's for the Volks

After that I need at least three different maps

1) 91 street duty tune
2) 91 low boost HPDE tune
3) 100 octane street whiplash tune
4) if I'm feeling lucky 110 octane pissmypants tune

earlyapex aka jack ass
03-17-2008, 04:19 PM
very nice. :)

The fidanza gears have issues. I would go HKS personally. Been running them on my personal evo for over a year. Whtrice also uses a HKS gear on his 9.

whtrice
03-17-2008, 04:31 PM
Nice updated list. Not to sway you one way or the other but it would be nice to see results
with the GSC S2 cams. I have the Cossies and can't complain but the GSC specs look good too.
Personally I don't think you can go wrong with one or the other.
Either way keep us updated...Inquisitive modders need to know. :)

JDMevoBOOST
03-17-2008, 04:32 PM
Hahah I got some advice saying to stay away from 3-bolt cam gears as well ROFL....so what 5-bolt gear is okay to use??

player67
03-17-2008, 04:35 PM
I think imma go with an HKS gear too just to squeeze out some extra juice

whtrice
03-17-2008, 04:41 PM
HKS is a light setup too. Less rotating mass.

player67
03-17-2008, 05:02 PM
Can the exh gear be ordered seperately?

whtrice
03-17-2008, 05:07 PM
Yes it can

earlyapex aka jack ass
03-17-2008, 05:10 PM

Gear is a gear. Either one works for in/ex

You can just order one.

steevo8
03-17-2008, 05:17 PM
Nice list...... Im not sure what clutch line you plan to do but along with the upper line I would HIGHLY recommend you get the AMS lower clutch line. Jbfoco did one and reported much better feel and even Bryan noticed it when he pulled it on the dyno.... Put mine on yesterday and drove it today for the first time. Dont ask me how or why there is such a massive difference over a hardline thats only 6-8inches long but there is... I guess it flows more fluid or something, but either way its WELL worth the $25.

player67
03-17-2008, 06:01 PM

Gear is a gear. Either one works for in/ex

You can just order one.

Thats what I thought...until I see people sell them and theyre like INTAKE CAM GEAR ONLY etc so then I was like damn it must be diff...thats coo then

PANGES
03-17-2008, 07:49 PM
I have Cossie M2 cams for sale for Evo 9! :)

DoggDicker
03-17-2008, 08:55 PM
Looks good...can't wait to see some #'s...

DD

player67
03-17-2008, 09:13 PM
Shut up pangy! jk IHRTU

JDMevoBOOST
03-18-2008, 08:59 AM
Yah I would buy your cams Eugene, but I can't be havin no cursed parts. I wanted to buy everything new for these next two rounds haha.

Hmmm is it also true that the HKS gear doesn't have a mark at TDC, but instead has it at 3 o clock and 9 o clock?

JDMevoBOOST
03-18-2008, 01:10 PM
I just ordered my other two VOLK's as well for the front 17x10+15 Mag blue ce28's....car is going to be in it's complete stage before summer.

Then on to thinking about a new toy, hopefully a N/A boxer motor and german :) cough...GT3RS...cough

I have two bronze 17x9 +35 w/ rt-215 azenis just sitting here if anyone wants to buy them as spares or whatever.

JDMevoBOOST
03-20-2008, 11:31 AM
A-spec 30mm wide fenders coming in as well. Gonna get my buddy to throw some paint on there. Need to get my trunk fixed and bumper/lip repainted as well.

earlyapex aka jack ass
03-20-2008, 11:37 AM
Hmmm is it also true that the HKS gear doesn't have a mark at TDC, but instead has it at 3 o clock and 9 o clock?

This is untrue. Why would they do that?

The fidanzas and some other cam gears are machined for both DSM and Evo's so they have two dowel pin holes, which would probably something like you are describing. I think you are mixing the two up.

HKS work 100% without any fuss or weirdness. I've used them for years on DSM's and Evo's.

earlyapex aka jack ass
03-20-2008, 11:37 AM

This is untrue. Why would they do that?

The fidanzas and some other cam gears are machined for both DSM and Evo's so they have two dowel pin holes, which could look like something like you are describing. I think you are mixing the two up.

HKS work 100% without any fuss or weirdness. I've used them for years on DSM's and Evo's.

earlyapex aka jack ass
03-20-2008, 11:40 AM
Fidanza:

Notice two holes in center:

http://www.norcalmotorsports.org/users/bryan/mods/EVO/tech/silvercam1.JPG

HKS:

http://www.norcalmotorsports.org/users/bryan/mods/EVO/tech/HKSCamgears.jpg

JDMevoBOOST
03-20-2008, 01:58 PM
You got any in stock? :D

JDMevoBOOST
03-20-2008, 01:59 PM
Just ordered my Deck Mechanical front lip as well since my garage decided to hate on my SE lip.

JDMevoBOOST
03-20-2008, 02:05 PM
http://i59.photobucket.com/albums/g315/updoc21/Randomized/Picture005.jpg

This one look okay Bryan? If not I will buy a new one. The teeth on this one look a little messed up.

whtrice
03-20-2008, 04:47 PM
Are the teeth dinged up or something? Better pics needed.

player67
03-20-2008, 05:39 PM
Dontbegaybuynewshit :lol: :P

earlyapex aka jack ass
03-20-2008, 06:59 PM
Looks like a old DSM style one. The new ones have the adjustable ring and the teeth ring flush with each other. Reference the photo I posted above.

JDMevoBOOST
03-20-2008, 08:14 PM
Yah i am checking around, but apparently they are on back order everywhere.....AEM is another option

JDMevoBOOST
03-20-2008, 08:16 PM
Trying to get my ITR running as well hahah....too many toys....too little time to enjoy them

player67
03-21-2008, 01:16 AM
Mess with your evo first :D

JDMevoBOOST
04-08-2008, 10:06 AM
Going under the knife Thursday

-FPgreen w/ upgraded actuator
-Milspec ported FPgreen hotside
-Milspec ported exh mani
-Koyo Radiator
-Samco Radiator hoses

Ben
04-08-2008, 03:58 PM
Trying to get my ITR running as well hahah....too many toys....too little time to enjoy them

Two project cars it sounds like? Which one is your daily.

DoggDicker
04-08-2008, 04:12 PM

-Milspec ported exh mani
-Koyo Radiator
-Samco Radiator hoses

Nice...

DD

player67
04-09-2008, 10:31 AM

-Milspec ported exh mani
-Koyo Radiator
-Samco Radiator hoses

you forgot 2.4 :(

JDMevoBOOST
04-09-2008, 11:42 AM
Haha...yah I have three cars right now

Daily whip - the evo
Track whip - The ITR
Project Car - 914 (given to me by my dad, I want to resto-mod it eventually and give it back to him)

Ben
04-09-2008, 12:36 PM
Haha...yah I have three cars right now

Daily whip - the evo
Track whip - The ITR
Project Car - 914 (given to me by my dad, I want to resto-mod it eventually and give it back to him)

So you have three project cars lol. Sounds like a nice stable you got there! ZOMG I used to hella want a 914!

DoggDicker
04-09-2008, 01:43 PM
You got a parking garage for all your projects...

DD

JDMevoBOOST
04-09-2008, 03:05 PM
Hahaha...that's something I am working on. Currently everything but the evo is stored at my mom's house. I park the evo in my g/f garage and her accord that i drive sometimes sits unwashed and uncared for on the street :P

player67
04-09-2008, 03:14 PM
Hahaha...that's something I am working on. Currently everything but the evo is stored at my mom's house. I park the evo in my g/f garage and her accord that i drive sometimes sits unwashed and uncared for on the street :P

Thats how its done. I remember my ex when Id spend the night at her place Id take her car out of the garage and park my evo in it :lol:

Evo > all

JDMevoBOOST
04-10-2008, 08:42 AM
Car is sitting at SE right now.

Took the stocker turbo off and so all we need to do today is install, oil change, refill coolant and then boost leak test and start her up.

B won't be able to tune me until next Friday, so until then I'm just going to let me car sit at home for another week. At least then I can make sure everything is solid before I go tune again.

Then it's off to complete the cam install part list.

bdking57
04-10-2008, 09:02 AM
Do NOT buy the fidanza gears...... first of all, not sure it was the gears problem or the install..... I had some serious timing issues after the fidanza gears, Paul was looking at them, and basically saying they were complete crap.. I had 3 of the 6 bolts on the gears break.......they used home depot bolts on the gears, when I called fidanza about this they were generally like "there are no problems with our gears"... the bolts also broke on evo grims original car with the same gears, and you have to reinstall to fix the issue. The possible benefits of running adjustable cam gears can not justify the issues they can cause IMO.

very nice. :)

The fidanza gears have issues. I would go HKS personally. Been running them on my personal evo for over a year. Whtrice also uses a HKS gear on his 9.

JDMevoBOOST
04-10-2008, 09:11 AM
I went with HKS gear per Bryan's recommendation. When I do the cams I will talk with him more on it to see whether the gains are worth it.

whtrice
04-10-2008, 12:32 PM
Worked for me... Yea hit up Bryan, He's got the scoop.

I went with HKS gear per Bryan's recommendation. When I do the cams I will talk with him more on it to see whether the gains are worth it.

JDMevoBOOST
04-10-2008, 09:51 PM
All the parts are in and on the car thanks the SE.

They even went and fixed the guages that another shop never installed properly. No more fuc%ing beeping FTMFW

player67
04-10-2008, 11:54 PM

They even went and fixed the guages that another shop never installed properly. No more fuc%ing beeping FTMFW

were you hitting peak all the time :lol:

earlyapex aka jack ass
04-11-2008, 12:09 AM

Woohoo now I don't have to listen to that high pitched shrill anymore! :)

JDMevoBOOST
04-11-2008, 09:59 AM
Yah dude, Bryan....honestly the first few times you tuned my car I felt BAD for you. I knew you were trying your best to adjust the tables with that beeping noise going off and on. That shit drives my CRAZY!!! I knew it must be driving you nuts as well.

And having to reset my settings every time I turn the car off was just getting REALLLLLY OLD after a year and a half.

The funny thing is...I had told this shop repeatedly....it's the mofuckin constant....it's the constant.....ITS THE CONSTANT DAMNIT.

They told me..."we did it right"...."we installed plenty of these before"....."yours is the only one with problems because they are used guages"....blah blah...friggin blah.....

That shop had my car for one WHOLE DAY initially and didn't get it right. Brought it back TWICE for 3 + hours each. Even had their wannabe ass "experts" come and look at it. What did that get me? It got me 350 bucks out of my wallet and an annoying ass beep that probably took a year off my life from the sheer annoyance.

Only Bryan really knows the pain of that Defi beep. It burns a hole in your brain.

Ben
04-11-2008, 03:43 PM
Who's the shop?!

JDMevoBOOST
05-08-2008, 03:48 PM
since it's a vendor I dunno if I'm aloud to say, but it's already on your guys list of places not to go. So no worries. I shoulda known not to let some kids work on my car.

Going in soon:

MILSPEC TB
MILSPEC Ported I/M
JAM Non-ticking Lifters
Supertech valvesprings/retainers
HKS cam gear
Cossie M2 (still undecided)
Hondata intake mani gasket
Works TB seals
ARP head studs
new valve cover gasket
Carbing oil catch can
1 Step colder Denso plugs
fix FORGE actuator preload
clean intake filter
Tomei BOV

I am hoping that letting the intake side breathe more will reduce or fix my surging. If it does not then I will just have to get used to not mashing from low rpm. ROFL

player67
05-08-2008, 08:35 PM
sweet!

DoggDicker
05-19-2008, 10:25 PM
Nice list of goodies...

DD

L8eight
05-26-2008, 02:16 PM
very nice list of goodies indeed!!!

JDMevoBOOST
06-22-2008, 06:21 PM
Uh oh......it's time to start planning for the next round since I'm done grabbing all the stuff for this one! :P

-SparkTech or TMWorks COP (would be selling my HyperForce)
-Devo light driveshaft
-100 octane retune

earlyapex aka jack ass
06-22-2008, 06:29 PM
I would personally save your money on the COP if you are sticking with the FPgreen.

You really don't have to worry about ignition until you start pushing biggie boost on the biggie turbos.

JDMevoBOOST
06-22-2008, 06:33 PM
Hmmm I was thinking it might cure any high boost grumpiness for the 100 tune.

BTW Aby is sending me the parts tomorrow, so once I get the tracking number I can see if I can schedule in a tune. Hopefully whatever day we pick ain't super hot like it has been every other day :P

DoggDicker
06-22-2008, 11:00 PM
100 t00nage FTW...

DD

JDMevoBOOST
06-24-2008, 02:01 PM
Yay I finally get to take the car out to an HPDE. Prob gonna run 100 and lower the boost due to high heat conditions.

Haven't been out there in a while....and going out there with 1200 more lbs and double the power should be interesting to say the least. I'm gonna take it REAL EASY until I can get a feel for the car and it's limit.

MarkSAE
06-24-2008, 02:49 PM
Make sure you use some race pads to stop all that power...

JDMevoBOOST
07-14-2008, 06:50 PM
Yep. Well. Until I sort out the motor and whatever is going on with it, everything else is on standby.

JDMevoBOOST
08-10-2008, 11:24 AM
So my car is making 330 again. The only change being..........THE WHEELS.

I mean if it was just heavier wheels that made me lose, you'd think that there would be more proof of this sitting around everywhere. I remember Buschur dynoing rotors and such and saw differences, but I thought he was full of #$%^.

So is this true??? I am so curious that I feel like bringing two sets of wheels to the dyno day and doing some back to back pulls with two sets of wheels on the same tune. :p

Ben
08-10-2008, 11:33 AM

I mean if it was just heavier wheels that made me lose, you'd think that there would be more proof of this sitting around everywhere. I remember Buschur dynoing rotors and such and saw differences, but I thought he was full of #$%^.

So is this true??? I am so curious that I feel like bringing two sets of wheels to the dyno day and doing some back to back pulls with two sets of wheels on the same tune. :p

Lol wow that was it?! I say bring it to the dyno day!

earlyapex aka jack ass
08-10-2008, 01:49 PM

I just didn't like your other wheels so I detuned your car until you put the ones I like back on. ;)

whtrice
08-10-2008, 01:54 PM
Jeez...Alignment guys..Thats the speed secret... Instant 20whp gain. Didn't you see Bryan's wheel grading chart
on his lap top? :)

I just didn't like your other wheels so I detuned your car until you put the ones I like back on. ;)

Ben
08-10-2008, 05:51 PM

ROFFLES I knew it!

JDMevoBOOST
08-15-2008, 09:06 AM
OK...so now that my car is performing the way it used to I can move on to some other stuffs that isn't power related. Here go the mods for exterior/interior that I have lined up.

-UV Tint
-Sueded/blacked out interior
-Install JDM heads with protective film
-Install JDM tails with protective film
-Install Recaro SPG's with Bride Rails
-Getting CE's painted - Painted Timberland Effect Green
-VOLK CF Centercaps w/ RAYS black Valvestems
-Install Deck Lip
-Get CF trunk painted black
-paint extra oem valve cover same green as wheels
-C-west Double carbon Louvered Hood

Prepping for E85 Time!!!