PDA

View Full Version : Congrats to Robi! Shootout Champ!

wilson1
12-05-2004, 10:28 PM
See, i know robi would be the one to beat!!!!!!!!!!!

What i said before!

:arrow: :urock:

evo_dadi
12-05-2004, 10:49 PM
man robi scared the snot out of me on the track ;) got a ride with him this sunday and all i can say is track racing is sooooo much fun.too bad we couldnt go all out since the time we ran the track was kinda full so we always ended up catching to some other cars and hounding them down ;) im gonna be signing up some of track days soon also just to fill in a new addiction :)

wilson1
12-05-2004, 10:54 PM
man robi scared the snot out of me on the track ;) got a ride with him this sunday and all i can say is track racing is sooooo much fun.too bad we couldnt go all out since the time we ran the track was kinda full so we always ended up catching to some other cars and hounding them down ;) im gonna be signing up some of track days soon also just to fill in a new addiction :)

Yeah, for reals.

:wink:

JanSolo
12-05-2004, 10:57 PM
I took a spin with Jamie around the track and he was pretty damn good, passing up a 350z and a Boxster with ease. He was doing pretty good, till we spun out a little before the skid pad.

robi
12-05-2004, 11:02 PM
Cut and paste from EVOm

Ok back from the track.
Fastest time on the TOYO 255/40/17 "Trampino" 888 "GGG" compound (middle hardness) 125.12 in Qualifing (would have WON the day for those counting). First "timed session" track temp up 18 degrees (any one else checking the ground temps?) from qualifing and overheated the SWEET Toyos (many thanks to Greg V @ Toyo) and slowed down 8 tenths. Wondering why??? I checked the 888's and on inspection the outer edge had just a hint of cording (read worn out after two test days and this event) So I switched to the Goodyear GS-CS DOT legal racing rubber (Call Caroll Shelby's and ask for Darryl) With Toyos blessing (Smoggie it went "does it say goodyear on the side of your car? Just go out and kick their collective A*S*S") This tire has been around for a while in the showroom stock SCCA classes and for higher speeds and heavier cars has a great record running against Hoosiers. Fastest time of the day was a 124.336. IF the Qualifiying had counted, or IF the 888's hadn't worn out, (third full track day) I feel confident the 888's had the speed in them to have WON the day. It's nice to know that Toyo will soon have a tire to run against the "mighty hoosiers" and give you 3+trackdays of wear to boot (your lucky to get 2 from the hoosiers)
Thanks to:
RRE for UNBELIEVABLE support (Mike I OWE you! and Tony,Honda,Lad,Ty and the RRE"crew" )
Buschur Racing for parts I can BOLT ON my car and make BUCKETS of USABLE power.
Scot Grey the Jedi knight of the AEM world.
John for the peptalk and ORDERING ME, "Fire the 580" (for this track) and to drive your own car (and for the Muellerization)
DMS for trusting me to take the time to test and tune their NEW roadracing spec (low flat and fast) EVO double adjustable 50mm suspension.
Toyo for "cheating ba*ta*d Japanese racing rubber" (SPAM THEM WITH REQUESTS FOR THIS TIRE OVER HERE) yes I'm yelling
APR= more AERO grip than any other EVO (again)
Nin (FRP DOORS= 400 pounds weight OFF THE CAR)
GT-Fabrications for those SEXY WIDE carbon fiber fenders
ROCK @ RRM for the Carbon headlight covers (no more getto tape jobs for me ;-)...)
The Race Shop for a cage to let me use the FRP doors.
Slider for taking it easy on an old(er) man ;-).
SPARCO for having problems
This needs some explaining. Sparco did everything right this time. They went to the C-west bumper/canard /splitter for THE CLEANEST/FASTEST aero bumper package (yes go ahead and laugh about my C-West fetish). Went to RRE for the "works" on their suspension setup (figured the only EVO who gives them the most trouble uses RRE's setups). Brought one of the best EVO "shoes" in the business (whew Emile didn't kick my butt AGAIN). All this and they still ran headfirst into "Racing Luck" (the bad kind). imho SPARCO WAS THE CAR TO BEAT (as usual) My effort was blessed with the other "Racing Luck" (the best kind). I make this comment because no matter the depth of your preparation this is RACING (I know John it's not wheel to wheel) and things go wrong to the BEST efforts.

Side notes
RRE supported 7 cars directly or indirectly and had ALL SEVEN CARS in the top EIGHT!!!!!!
Buschur/RRE combos placed 1st and 4th (Dieter du sollst nicht so schnell fahren).
STITHIS using a Stock Buschur Racing Stage IV with RRE Mullerization/JIC'S (my OLD ONES!)
placed 4th kicking alot of BIG TURBO A**.
EVERY ONE HAD A BLAST!
Thanks are due to
Aaron and KK for a great event.
2nd Fastest EVO at the SCC/SS time attack
Winner SCC USCC Roadrace
2,Firsts +a Third @ EOC Time Trials
Power=AEM-EMS Buschur BR 500 stage V. Control=RRE+DMS"50's Muellerized"
Brakes= Stoptech&PF "97" Pads
Mods = Sparco seats, Vivid Racing, APR, GT-Fabrications and NIN (love my carbon Fenders/hood/Bumper/Undertrays/Splitters/Cannards,GT wings and FRP Doors)

lancerboy
12-05-2004, 11:02 PM
did anyone take a video or some pix?

JanSolo
12-05-2004, 11:14 PM

The pics start here.

http://www.norcalevo.net/forums/viewtopic.php?t=2072&start=60

I tried to bring a video camera into Jamie's car using Marcel's mount, but the track folks would have none of it.

lancerboy
12-06-2004, 01:08 AM

The pics start here.

http://www.norcalevo.net/forums/viewtopic.php?t=2072&start=60

I tried to bring a video camera into Jamie's car using Marcel's mount, but the track folks would have none of it.those were nice. thanks!

SouthernCrane
12-06-2004, 08:09 AM
Congrats Robi :afrocool: :urock:

vtluu
12-06-2004, 08:44 AM
Yup, congratulations! Time to rip out that dash, acid-dip the body panels and increase your margin even more. ;)

garrick70
12-06-2004, 08:48 AM

We need to start a NORCAL version of the EOC. We could call it the NCEOC!! :D I know that there are quite a few of us that have had an opportunity to track the car once or twice, and it would be fantastic if we could get a group going to Thunderhill.

hagakure
12-06-2004, 08:53 AM
I'm totally game...
Meanwhile, interested folks check out the NCRC page. They will be running t-hil feb 26-27, sat and sunday. Would be great to get a good-sized group to go up there. I'm already signed up.

Peace.

Percy

garrick70
12-06-2004, 09:27 AM
I'm totally game...
Meanwhile, interested folks check out the NCRC page. They will be running t-hil feb 26-27, sat and sunday. Would be great to get a good-sized group to go up there. I'm already signed up.

Peace.

Percy

My foot should be ready to go for that event. I will sign up right now. :D Hey Evodadi! Sign up for this event!! Lets get a big group of newbies out with Evos!! You too southerncrane!! I know you have been thinking about it!! I know we don't have to twist vtluu's arm... :D

I want to be like Robi!! 8) (sung to the tune of "I want to be like Mike") :D

Garrick

EVO GRIM
12-06-2004, 06:08 PM
Nice work!

I would like to see specific stats on this car. Got a website robi?

evo_dadi
12-06-2004, 08:44 PM
hey pery got any links for the track day? so i can start planing on it ;)

garrick70
12-06-2004, 09:08 PM

Hey Marcel,

Here is the info. from the site. It is not open for registration yet, but its a start!! I will be registering for this event!!

http://www.ncracing.org/events.html

robi
12-06-2004, 09:52 PM
Nice work!

I would like to see specific stats on this car. Got a website robi?

Nope but cliff notes
BR500 stageV with Stage III head 272's Magnus intake stock throttle body (one of these days Pete will give me a works version I hope)
good for 440 at the wheels at 23 psi on 110 WAY conservitive tune to keep the power very usable and so I can flog it and never have to look at the gauges.
Interior STRIPPED
Fiberglass racing doors.(but have the A/C and a sunroof so about 2900 lbs)

Keys to speed
Usable power (I was down 130 HP on some of these cars)
DMS 50mm double adjustable (bump and rebound) suspension with progressive barrel springs
Take tire temps and adjust the corners to even out the temps
Know your tire compounds and the track(ground) temps they work best at
TEST TEST TEST TEST TEST!!!!! did I say TEST dammit?

hagakure
12-06-2004, 10:49 PM

Hey Marcel,

Here is the info. from the site. It is not open for registration yet, but its a start!! I will be registering for this event!!

http://www.ncracing.org/events.html

Hope we can get more folks to come out as well.

Percy

dohcvtec
12-07-2004, 01:10 AM
i'm an ncrc member and a nasa member. but i only track my honda del sol :P not tracking the evo for a while. :) i dont think i'll be hitting the track until january though, my motor needs to be retuned. hopefully you evo guys would let a honda hang with you in the pits? hehe

garrick70
12-07-2004, 09:04 AM
i'm an ncrc member and a nasa member. but i only track my honda del sol :P not tracking the evo for a while. :) i dont think i'll be hitting the track until january though, my motor needs to be retuned. hopefully you evo guys would let a honda hang with you in the pits? hehe

So bring the Del sol , and come run with us!!

robi
12-07-2004, 04:15 PM
As usual I left someone out. Many thanks to Tuning Technologies in Colton for dyno time late at night (11:00 to 03:00 so I could still keep working my day job ;-). Thanks Chris and Al. For evweryone else this is a shop who stays till the job's done..(nice to have when your next day is a competion). Check them out 909-783-1200.

chrisw
12-07-2004, 05:45 PM
Robi,

Those DMS struts, were they the run of the mill DMS 50 Street length struts? Or were they custom tuned/built for this race?

I used to run DMS 50's on my WRX. I had a set with the early seal design, so they required constant maintenance to work on a daily driver. I hear they fixed that problem, and when they work, they are just as good as my current Ohlin setup.

Oh yeah, where did you get them? (and how much???)

vtluu
12-07-2004, 05:47 PM
The story I've heard about DMS is that it's basically one guy who makes them. They used to be pretty cheap but the guy didn't want to make so many anymore, so he just jacked up the price until only hardcore race/rally teams could afford them.

robi
12-07-2004, 06:19 PM
These are the new "Tarmac Roadrace/Street" version 25mm shorter than "regular" Ralley Tarmac this has the advantage of getting full suspension travel at the "extream" low ride heights we are using with the JIC setup. I rased the back of my car over the course of the day 3/8" and found a better balance... AND more grip...(and lost another second off my time)

vtluu
12-07-2004, 06:24 PM
http://www.dmsnorthamerica.com/cgi-bin/ec.cgi?opt=2&org=1&pid=228&a=dc

SRP on the road race coilovers is $4825. :shock:

robi
12-07-2004, 07:07 PM
Let the suspension wars begin!!!

robi
12-07-2004, 07:11 PM
Robi,

Those DMS struts, were they the run of the mill DMS 50 Street length struts? Or were they custom tuned/built for this race?

I used to run DMS 50's on my WRX. I had a set with the early seal design, so they required constant maintenance to work on a daily driver. I hear they fixed that problem, and when they work, they are just as good as my current Ohlin setup.

Oh yeah, where did you get them? (and how much???)

San Rafael Mitsubishi, Evotuner.com, or RRE are the closest dealers to us
Because these are so new I got them direct through Mark Moore at DMS North America via an introduction by Mike at RRE
These are a test set like the quaife and I don't own them but I get to use them :-)

GokuSSJ4
12-07-2004, 07:38 PM

We need to start a NORCAL version of the EOC. We could call it the NCEOC!! :D I know that there are quite a few of us that have had an opportunity to track the car once or twice, and it would be fantastic if we could get a group going to Thunderhill.
why not meet half ways like Buttonwillow ??
we can all meet up there (instead of T-hill ) since is near 7.5hrs away for the socal folks :?

robi
12-07-2004, 09:48 PM
Thanks for the post Wilson...I thought you were coming down.

wilson1
12-07-2004, 11:08 PM
Thanks for the post Wilson...I thought you were coming down.

Hey robi,

Again, congrats for such an awesome job, beating out all the super-hot evos ever assembled!

I was all ready to come down, and i got sick as a dog!! :cry:

I can't wait to see everyone in action again, and wants to take another ride in your evokiller!

wilson1
12-07-2004, 11:12 PM

we can all meet up there (instead of T-hill ) since is near 7.5hrs away for the socal folks :?

Hey Garrick, Percy, or anyone interested,

You want to be the point-man in starting the NorCal -EOC?

That would be truly awesome.

We can't let socal have all the fun.

WE can have robi, Goku on our team representing the north!
And then we can have a north vs south competition. :wink: :shock:

chrisw
12-08-2004, 09:33 AM
San Rafael Mitsubishi, Evotuner.com, or RRE are the closest dealers to us
Because these are so new I got them direct through Mark Moore at DMS North America via an introduction by Mike at RRE
These are a test set like the quaife and I don't own them but I get to use them :-)

Mark Moore is a great guy! Mark was able to help me when no other DMS dealer in the US was able to help (this was before Lachute became the North american distributer for DMS) I would definately recommend buying DMS struts through Mark.

These struts you tested sound similar to what I used on the WRX. Those were only around $2600 for a set. On the WRX, that includes PDE camber plates, not sure about the EVO.

chrisw
12-08-2004, 09:40 AM
http://www.dmsnorthamerica.com/cgi-bin/ec.cgi?opt=2&org=1&pid=228&a=dc

SRP on the road race coilovers is $4825. :shock:

That's in Canadian dollars, not US :thumbsup:

vtluu
12-08-2004, 09:41 AM
Oh, cool, so that's like what, $10? :lol:

garrick70
12-08-2004, 09:58 AM
Oh, cool, so that's like what, $10? :lol: :lol:

garrick70
12-08-2004, 02:10 PM

We have a common problem up here in Sac. It is a 4-5 hr. drive to Buttonwillow. Thunderhill is just 2 hrs to the North. I think it would be about a 3-4 hour drive for the Bay area folks to Thunderhill. Correct me if I am wrong..

smack
12-09-2004, 01:41 AM
last time i went to t-hill i drove up the morning of and i think it only took
a little over 2 hrs. from san rafael. also taking the 505 to cut across to
the 5 and not going all the way up to sac to get the 5.

has anyone run both button and t-hill. i thought t-hill was a better track.
can't hurt that scca owns it.

sean

leif
12-09-2004, 02:25 AM
thunderhill cant be 2 hours from sac, its 2 hours from my place in walnut creek. wut about sears point?

vtluu
12-09-2004, 03:00 AM
thunderhill cant be 2 hours from sac, its 2 hours from my place in walnut creek.
Depends how fast you drive. :sneaky: :cop:

hagakure
12-09-2004, 11:19 AM
last time i went to t-hill i drove up the morning of and i think it only took
a little over 2 hrs. from san rafael. also taking the 505 to cut across to
the 5 and not going all the way up to sac to get the 5.

has anyone run both button and t-hill. i thought t-hill was a better track.
can't hurt that scca owns it.

sean

I've run buttonwillow as well. Like T-hill more, but buttonwillow is more difficult and challenging.

Percy

garrick70
12-09-2004, 11:47 AM
thunderhill cant be 2 hours from sac, its 2 hours from my place in walnut creek. wut about sears point?

1 hr. and 50 min. according to Mapquest. Of course thats going the speed limit. :wink: It makes an excellent track for NorCal members. It would really be great if we could get a large group going.

dohcvtec
12-09-2004, 02:45 PM
i love thunderhill, most favorite track so far :)