PDA

View Full Version : Suspension advice

Evo442
12-12-2004, 04:55 AM
I'm looking into upgrading the suspension on my evo w/in the next 6 months or so. Have been looking mainly at the Zeal and Ohlin setups with Works.

I'm also very interested in a JRZ double or triple adjustable setup. Does anyone have this on their evo? Any comments or advice?

chrisw
12-12-2004, 09:49 AM
I have the ohlins.

These struts are amazing....

RT
12-12-2004, 11:17 AM
Since you’re a regular WORKS customer just give ‘em a call on Monday, they’ll have you set-up with whatever you want by Tuesday!

Evo442
12-12-2004, 11:33 AM
Since you’re a regular WORKS customer just give ‘em a call on Monday, they’ll have you set-up with whatever you want by Tuesday!

Yes... just exploring other options and wanted to get some opinions. There are a lot of BMW and Porche race cars set up with these but havent seen any evo's with them...

Susurrus
12-13-2004, 02:10 PM
dyuyeno if you want some info on the JRZs talk to Sharky. He has JRZs on his Porsche, he may be able to help you with your Evo.

Sus

vtluu
12-13-2004, 02:24 PM
Shouldn't someone ask him what he wants to do with the car driving-wise?

Okay...

What do you intend to do with the car, driving-wise? Track/auto-x/daily driving (or how much of each)?

garrick70
12-13-2004, 02:39 PM

Okay...

What do you intend to do with the car, driving-wise? Track/auto-x/daily driving (or how much of each)?

hey GOOD question Vtluu!! :D

Evo442
12-13-2004, 11:08 PM

Okay...

daily driver plus track. Mostly daily driver

AutoRnD
12-15-2004, 10:02 PM
For a mostly daily driver I would think that these options are a bit overkill. What is the price of a complete JRZ system with uppermounts front and rear in double adjustable configuration? Do you have a picture of them?

Thanks, Rishie

Evo442
12-15-2004, 11:15 PM
For a mostly daily driver I would think that these options are a bit overkill. What is the price of a complete JRZ system with uppermounts front and rear in double adjustable configuration? Do you have a picture of them?

Thanks, Rishie

Absolutely right, overkill; like I said, I've been looking at Ohlins or Zeals with works, but then got to talking with a guy about the JRZ's. I havent heard of anyone with JRZ's on their evo and I was fishing around to see if anyone had any experience. I was also hoping to hear a little bit about how they felt/performed vs the Ohlins or Zeals.

No, I do not have a picture nor do I have an exact price although it would be significantly more money than the Ohlin or Zeal setups I was looking at...

jstockdale
12-16-2004, 08:56 PM
Well, I just went to the Function-V6's from Zeal for my daily driver ... :paranoid:

I'll admit that it may be a bit of overkill, but oh well. I wanted the option of tracking my car at some point in the future, while having an awesome daily driver setup :drool:

Can't wait to get some miles on them so I can give a good review to everyone.

-S ...

Evo442
12-17-2004, 06:29 AM
Nothing wrong with some overkill.... better too much than too little!

Looking forward to hearing your thoughts about the zeals

warpspeed
12-17-2004, 12:01 PM
Tam beat me to it. It all depends on your intention for the car. I know some buys the expensive ones for the bling factor and some buys them for weekend warrior type of set up. My suggestion is to buy the set up you will decide when you are actually going to do alot of weekend warrior racing. Don't buy them early and plan on racing while you have them on for you daily driving because by the time you actually start racing,with all the daily driving mileage you put on, it might be time to get them rebuilt.

Hey jstockdale, what ever happened with the run in with the Stanford cops?

hagakure
12-17-2004, 01:05 PM
dyuyeno,

Unless money is just no object at all, I'd consider putting the $$ into getting some track time under your belt, and you will have a good idea of what you need. In my opinion, I would not waste the $$ on a coilover set-up just for street driving. I have the Works stage 2+ suspension, which is works ride springs, camber plates, rear shock mounts, and a fairly aggressive allignment, plus the rear swaybar set to full stiff, and it is GREAT on the track, and not too horrible on the street. But, I'm planning between 12-15 track days in 05, so, it really does depend on your needs.

Percy

hagakure
12-17-2004, 01:06 PM
By the way, you are welcome to drive my car and check out this set-up for comparison.
Percy

Evo442
12-20-2004, 08:19 AM
dyuyeno,

Unless money is just no object at all, I'd consider putting the $$ into getting some track time under your belt, and you will have a good idea of what you need. In my opinion, I would not waste the $$ on a coilover set-up just for street driving. I have the Works stage 2+ suspension, which is works ride springs, camber plates, rear shock mounts, and a fairly aggressive allignment, plus the rear swaybar set to full stiff, and it is GREAT on the track, and not too horrible on the street. But, I'm planning between 12-15 track days in 05, so, it really does depend on your needs.

Percy

Percy - good ideas.. and money is always an object! :D

Track time is currently a goal of mine - I'm getting the car prepped for the track in the near future (tuneup, brake pads, etc), The works setup you have I'm sure would be more than adequate for my track needs (heck the stock setup is more than adequate) - but the coilovers will provide me with a more refined ride and more flexibility as well. I'm also worried that if I get a new set of springs that I may not be able to get the damn car up my steep driveway. Coilovers will give me more flexibility. Also, I'm pretty sure I'll be getting coilovers somewhere down the road, and although the upfront cost is high, I'd prefer to not buy parts that I'll have to discard in a few months.

Good food for thought though. I may take you up on the offer to drive ur car since you're in Sac too.

Thanks!

MarkSAE
12-20-2004, 01:07 PM
The thing w/ coilovers is, that once you get your ride height set, you need to leave it alone unless you plan on aligning your car often. Toe changes with ride height.

dyuyeno, do you plan on raising and lowering your suspension often?

Evo442
12-20-2004, 02:38 PM
The thing w/ coilovers is, that once you get your ride height set, you need to leave it alone unless you plan on aligning your car often. Toe changes with ride height.

dyuyeno, do you plan on raising and lowering your suspension often?

Good point, thanks.

I dont plan on changing the ride height often but would like some flexibility. Even if the Works "preferred settings" clear my driveway, what happens when I add a lip or a different front bumper etc. I'm just looking for some flexibility to accomodate potential (but likely) future changes, thats all.

jstockdale
12-20-2004, 03:48 PM
Hey jstockdale, what ever happened with the run in with the Stanford cops?

Still working on sorting it out. When I went to the referee they not only refused to certify or approve the GFB, but then said that they wouldn't pass a turbo timer either (!!!).

I'm working on getting a lawyer and then sorting this out in the first week of January ... I'll update y'all after I get it sorted.

:bandhead: :yuckfu: :ahnold: :cop:

Peace,

-S ...

Evo442
12-20-2004, 07:14 PM
Geez. Nice to know where our tax paying dollars go to. good luck!

Evo442
01-05-2005, 10:48 PM
By the way, you are welcome to drive my car and check out this set-up for comparison.
Percy

Thanks for the offer... i may take you up on that!