PDA

View Full Version : Evo X article, interesting quote

Kings Fan
03-12-2008, 08:58 PM
Check out Edmunds article on the new Evo X FQ 360:

http://www.edmunds.com/insideline/do/Drives/FirstDrives/articleId=125124?tid=edmunds.il.home.photopanel..1 .*#2

The official output for the FQ-360 engine is 354 hp at 6,500 rpm, and the torque production is an even more impressive 363 pound-feet at 3,500 rpm. "An output of 360 hp is about the most that's feasible from this engine," says Brigden. "If you start targeting 380-390 hp, you need to introduce new con rods and pistons, which adds dramatically to the cost."

According to the article, the bottom end can only handle about 400hp??? Yikes, I hope this is inaccurate.

DirectorSe7en
03-12-2008, 09:02 PM
Wow. Good thing I don't plan on any higher.

So what about AMS and TurboTrix who've already made 400+whp? Something is adding up in my noodle.

dabaysevo
03-12-2008, 09:11 PM
Quote aside, I like the lip on that X. It's missing something though to make the look complete.

Mister_Pants
03-12-2008, 09:15 PM
The "FQ" series of cars are sold by Mitsubishi UK at the dealership level. They even come with a powertrain warranty, keeping that in mind it's not difficult to see why engine reliability is a huge concern when releasing a "tuned" car to the general public. The previous generation FQ-400 didn't have stock internals, which is why is was so much more expensive than the other "FQ" models.

Mister_Pants
03-12-2008, 09:22 PM
Think of it like the "VQ" series nissan engines in the 350Z and G35. There are plenty of turbo/supercharger kits out there for those engines and the general consensus among tuners is that if your going to boost one of those engines its best to get new rods and pistons (the stock internals were purposely made as lightweight as possible to give a crisp responsive feel to the engine.) Now even though it is best to change out the internals not everyone does, and not everyone's car blows up. But some of them do. Honestly who here feels they have really stressed their engine with driving (not with poor tuning/modification/lack of maintenance) Anyone ran their car up to redline in fifth/sixth gear and held it there for a hour?

RgistRdShowoffIX
03-17-2008, 02:28 AM
so they added VG's to the X now. I thot the body design was optimized so it wouldn't need them anymore? :?

DirectorSe7en
03-17-2008, 10:07 AM
so they added VG's to the X now. I thot the body design was optimized so it wouldn't need them anymore? :?

Yea, but it's become a fad.

AWDrift
03-17-2008, 04:54 PM
this is exactly what i was getting at about the new aluminum block and its limits. guess my question has been answered :lol:

earlyapex aka jack ass
03-17-2008, 05:00 PM
That article also has this quote:

"Liberating an extra 30 horses means going to work on the fuel mixture. "We lean the mixture ahead of the spark," explains Brigden. "The turbo boost pressure has actually been reduced from 11.8 psi in the standard car to 10.3 psi in the 360." This has a negative impact on fuel consumption and exhaust emissions, but a positive effect on the power output."

me thinks that has to be a misquote. They probably meant AFR instead of PSI.

AWDrift
03-17-2008, 05:06 PM
so just as well, the limits of the bottom end could be a mis-print?

leaveit2bevo
03-17-2008, 09:10 PM
so just as well, the limits of the bottom end could be a mis-print?

that would be a pretty crazy mis-print, "I really meant you dont need new con rods and pistons which doesnt add dramatically to the cost." :lol:

AWDrift
03-17-2008, 09:31 PM
true, the one bryan pointed out is pretty minor compared to that lol.

JDMevoBOOST
03-18-2008, 08:54 AM
Ummmm I think you guys are forgetting that honda's have been boosting aluminum blocks for a long time. It's nothing new.

If Honda's can run around boosting with 10.6 compression ratio I think the X should be able to handle it fine.

But a good statement to make would be it can make above 360, but it doesn't mean that Mitsu wants you to. Especially if they are footing the bill if it breaks.

steevo8
03-18-2008, 09:24 AM
Wow. Good thing I don't plan on any higher.

So what about AMS and TurboTrix who've already made 400+whp? Something is adding up in my noodle.

you better hope they are wrong cause there 360 is only like 320ish or less to us..

I highly doubt they are speaking factually though since the motor seems to have all the makings to push decent numbers with very little... Ie compression, fuel system etc

JDMevoBOOST
03-18-2008, 09:34 AM
Yah me thinks they are trying to scare those crazy europeans out of modding it. Basically trying to say that it comes in it's optimum form already and that nothing more needs to be done....bahah....

Boostd4
04-01-2008, 07:55 AM
Yah me thinks they are trying to scare those crazy europeans out of modding it. Basically trying to say that it comes in it's optimum form already and that nothing more needs to be done....bahah....

I think they are also trying to sell the idea that the FQ is the "ragged edge" of the Evo X. It allows them to make $$$ from the fools that believe their marketing.