PDA

View Full Version : Tranny Problems

mister
03-20-2008, 04:22 PM
5th & 6th gears are shot. Any recommendations on what to do next. Whether i should go do a dealership or a shop. How much am i looking @.......darn

cezber23
03-20-2008, 04:32 PM
on my experience, if you have lots of mods just pay for it. if you have little mods, put your car back to stock and claim it on your warranty.

smack
03-20-2008, 04:54 PM
get a hold of planglie. he should be able to help you out if you're paying for this yourself

mister
04-04-2008, 05:44 PM
whose planglie???/

DoggDicker
04-04-2008, 05:59 PM
PM him...Paul Langlie (planglie)...owns Lee's Transmission Shop...

DD

earlyapex aka jack ass
04-04-2008, 06:03 PM
whose planglie???/

I would highly recommend Paul Langlie @ Lee Myles transmission.

Hands down the best Mitsubishi transmission I have felt in over 10 years of rowing through mitsubishi transmissions.

Lee Myles of Oakland California
2943 Broadway,
Oakland, CA. 94611

Paul Langlie
510-834-2222

slimdatwelve209
04-04-2008, 06:23 PM
i got an extra mr 6th speed tranny for sale pm me if your not thinking of a rebuild

tanK
04-05-2008, 01:35 AM
whose planglie???/

I would highly recommend Paul Langlie @ Lee Myles transmission.

Hands down the best Mitsubishi transmission I have felt in over 10 years of rowing through mitsubishi transmissions.

Lee Myles of Oakland California
2943 Broadway,
Oakland, CA. 94611

Paul Langlie
510-834-2222

Bryan just wondering....

Would you recommend these guys over say, Shep or TRE? I understand you've had a somewhat lukewarm experience with John@TRE on your 6 speed...

earlyapex aka jack ass
04-05-2008, 10:09 AM
From what I have seen and felt so far yes, the 5spd in his evo that we used at the time attack this last weekend feels and shifts tons better than my TRE rebuilt 6spd.

It is the best 5spd mitsu trans I have ever used.

The biggest advantage is that he is local and also answers his phone the first time you call...

steevo8
04-05-2008, 10:18 AM
+1,000,000,000 for Paul..... I believe that most of the bay area shops that were using shep have now switched to using paul. Not only does he do great work but hes not going to try and sell you snake oil like some other shops do.

jbfoco
04-05-2008, 10:20 AM
+1
pauls the man !!

Give him a call he'll be able to help you out

planglie
04-05-2008, 10:38 AM
Thanks for the props. guys. I'll be the first to admit that my shop doesn't have as much experience w/the six speeds as we do the five speeds.......that being said, there is no smoke and mirrors in this business and we would be happy to take a look at your trans. if you would like to remove it and bring it in for an inspection. Pricing would be based on what components your trans. would need plus any upgrades that we feel would be necessary.

Paul Langlie

mister
04-10-2008, 05:26 PM
Thanks paul.... By word of mouth your the one to go to. But would you recommend either i rebuild my MR tranny or consider a much stronger more efficient 5 speed. Only if the 6th speed were more reliable than itd be my weapon of choice.

planglie
04-10-2008, 05:45 PM
You have to be willing to change a few of the components in the car to make the 5-speed compatible.....it can easily be done as guys do it all of the time, it just depends on what your needs are and what you do with your car. I think that the 6-spd can be made to work well w/a street car, but for track beatings, the 5-spd will handle the abuse more readily.

I would really like to put a 6-spd in my car. I just haven't taken the time to try and perfect the 6-spd enough, let alone get the shifter and cables, etc. that are needed for the change over.

Hope this helps,

Paul

earlyapex aka jack ass
04-10-2008, 05:51 PM
really? I like your 5spd WAY better than my 6spd. Although the revs seem a bit higher on the hwy in your 5spd.

whtrice
04-10-2008, 05:59 PM
I know the VIII 4 th gear mod for my IX is something I am considering. Would it be hard to change the 5th gear of my 5 -speed to say a 6-speed OD equivalent ratio? This would help freeway cruise allot.

really? I like your 5spd WAY better than my 6spd. Although the revs seem a bit higher on the hwy in your 5spd.

earlyapex aka jack ass
04-10-2008, 06:02 PM
yea paul has the Evo 8 4th in his Evo 9 trans.

I heard the Evo 8 5th is taller than the Evo 9 5th.

whtrice
04-10-2008, 06:06 PM
This alone sounds like the best of both worlds. In lieu of a 6- speed that is.

yea paul has the Evo 8 4th in his Evo 9 trans.

I heard the Evo 8 5th is taller than the Evo 9 5th.

mister
04-10-2008, 06:26 PM
Hey y not trade with mine!!!

planglie
04-11-2008, 09:43 AM
The only reason that I would say I would like the 6-spd is due to the freeway cruise RPM.Â* I hate taking long drives - like Vegas - where the engine is up at 4K for the majority of the trip.Â* Bryan, I could tell immediately that your 6-spd had a real deep O/D compared to my 5-spd.

Unfortunately, I am not aware of a 6-spd ratio'd 5th gear for the 5-spd. (.69).Â* The gears are not interchangeable themselves between the two units.Â* As far as the VIII 5th gear being taller, yes it is(.72 vs. .76).Â* Both the VIII 4th & 5th gears are taller by 5%.Â* This equates to about 190 rpm if your IX cruises at 3800. The 6-spd 6th gear would be about 300 rpm lower given that specific speed.

Paul

steevo8
04-11-2008, 10:08 AM
Hmm I wonder what that would equate to on the front straight at thill if both a 8 and 9 had relatively the same power? Paul your a drag racer, hows that bench race play out?

planglie
04-11-2008, 10:52 AM
Assuming you shift out of 4th gear at 7500 RPM, the VIII would be traveling at approx. 121 & IX approx. 115 due to gear ratios. If both cars can pull the tall 5th gear to say 5500 RPM with stock height tires, theoretically, the VIII will be traveling approx. 128 and the IX would be traveling 121.Â* The problem w/these #'s is that there is an acceleration factor based on the gear ratio's and the power the vehicle is making.Â* With the shorter ratio, the IX should theoretically reach the shift point sooner (easier for the engine to accelerate due to the shorter gearing).Â* What does this all mean.Â* I don't know.Â* It has to be tested.Â* I put the VIII 4th gear in mine because w/a raised rev. limit I can grit my teeth and run 4th gear all the way down the T-hill straight, only rolling out a bit before the flagstand and letting the vehicle scrub some speed w/the engine decelleration.Â* My problem is I am a puss and don't like to make the 5-4 downshift going into 1!Â* If I just had that 8500 RPM power curve everything would work out great....no need for 5th!

Paul

steevo8
04-11-2008, 11:24 AM
so in theory who slides up the hill to the water tower on turn 1 first is going to come down to who has the biggest balls lol

planglie
04-11-2008, 11:38 AM
Totally OT:

I am NEVER looking forward to that "journey to the top of the hill". That turn scares the crap out of me. It's amazing how many muscles in your body can tense up when the car starts to slide and you don't think there is enough curbing on the outside to keep you in the ballpark... :shock: :shock: :shock: That is really a 7/10ths corner for this kid.

Paul

dabaysevo
04-11-2008, 12:11 PM
IX 4th gear FTL. When I was stock I could go over 9, and 12-13 without shifting. Since the tune I have to half throttle it going through those turns otherwise I'll bounce off the limiter. I just ride redline until I can get the car straight enough to shift without worrying about upsetting the car. Not to mention not being able to ride it out in 4th going into one.

I have one of three choices. Either shift into 5th for a few hundred feet, enough to get a few MPH, and worry about tranny wear. Ride 4th out and lift enough to keep it from bouncing of the limiter and keep it there from well before the starter stand all the way into the braking markers, and worry about the prolonged wear of keeping it hanging at 7600rpm. Then I could just simply granny shift early or lift way off through the front straight and be super depressed.

I remember on my VIII the taller 4th gear gets you into the 120mph mark easily. Which is what I normally get to before the brake marker at T-1. Even if I made more power, I could just raise the limiter and ride it out to almost 125. That should be plenty enough. When/if the tranny goes then I'm getting the VIII 4th for sure.

typhoon 28
05-07-2008, 06:15 PM
Thanks for the props. guys. I'll be the first to admit that my shop doesn't have as much experience w/the six speeds as we do the five speeds.......that being said, there is no smoke and mirrors in this business and we would be happy to take a look at your trans. if you would like to remove it and bring it in for an inspection. Pricing would be based on what components your trans. would need plus any upgrades that we feel would be necessary.

Paul Langlie

Cool, I might have to take you up on that inspection. always grinds 5th.

triple L
06-26-2008, 12:03 AM
yea imma newbie!! i was referred here by "slimdatwelve209"...first of all i just bought an evo8 from Fremont CA for $16500...the cars in good shape with few dings on hood and bumper but overall im satisfied.. i have few questions.. when i rev all the way to redline its really hard to shift into upper gear kinda grinds before goin in but if i shift at 6000 it goes in smooth and pulls stronger..i noticed that it pulls stronger around 4-5000 rpm but after that you dont feel it pull.. is it because of tranny??

AreSTG
06-26-2008, 03:46 PM
yea imma newbie!! i was referred here by "slimdatwelve209"...first of all i just bought an evo8 from Fremont CA for $16500...the cars in good shape with few dings on hood and bumper but overall im satisfied.. i have few questions.. when i rev all the way to redline its really hard to shift into upper gear kinda grinds before goin in but if i shift at 6000 it goes in smooth and pulls stronger..i noticed that it pulls stronger around 4-5000 rpm but after that you dont feel it pull.. is it because of tranny??

the pull is from the boost genersted by your turbo... it peaks somwhere in 3300 range, and up in the 5k range it starts to taper down because the turbo isn't producing enough boost to keep up. When the boost starts falling so does your torque, hence it feels weaker to you. I'm not even gunna pretend i have a clue on transmissions

triple L
06-29-2008, 12:41 PM
any ways how to get more top end power and money-wise best bang for the buck??

steevo8
06-29-2008, 03:07 PM
this is not the thread for these types of questions. Just search around a bit. Also make sure you do your homework before just going off someone's word here. Your best resources for parts and tuning are going to be GST and SpeedElement, if you need your trans rebuilt Planglie would be the guy.

slo10
07-02-2008, 12:15 PM
Yes, do you research before you pay too much for same things you can get at 1/3 of the price at other places. Also trans should be rebuilt by a shop that does manual transmissions only.