PDA

View Full Version : Tsuchiya test drives EVO X MR in SCC

JDMevoBOOST
03-20-2008, 04:33 PM
Well he basically said that the upshifts and downshifts were the best he has ever experienced from an automatic. He said also that this is the first evo he would consider buying.

Someone post the artical :P

overdrive
03-20-2008, 04:36 PM
Someone post the artical :P

+1!

DirectorSe7en
03-20-2008, 04:40 PM
...quit being lazy, go find the article. :lol:

Well he basically said that the upshifts and downshifts were the best he has ever experienced from an automatic.

Thank you, now someone go get those SST haters in here...

whtrice
03-20-2008, 04:52 PM
Uhh..Did they fix the torque limit? :D It is a badass auto just, " Where's the torgue rating?"

DirectorSe7en
03-20-2008, 05:03 PM
300 pound-feet of torque is stock, I don't know what that is at the wheels. :?

JDMevoBOOST
03-20-2008, 05:04 PM
I have the artical in my hands im just too lazy to try and scan it.

jdmSpecMR
03-20-2008, 05:11 PM
...quit being lazy, go find the article. :lol:

Well he basically said that the upshifts and downshifts were the best he has ever experienced from an automatic.

Thank you, now someone go get those SST haters in here...

sst hater, checking in. best auto he has driven. its still a POS :lol:

DirectorSe7en
03-20-2008, 05:18 PM
sst hater, checking in. best auto he has driven. its still a POS

Yea yea yea, I was wondering when you'd chime in...

I have the artical in my hands im just too lazy to try and scan it.

lol, oooooh, I was searching Google for the longest. :oops:

jdmSpecMR
03-20-2008, 05:22 PM
i wonder if he has messed with bmw SMG. cause i would say the germans should have a better tranny than the SST, but who knows. i would rather still buy manual, over that.

DirectorSe7en
03-20-2008, 05:36 PM
i wonder if he has messed with bmw SMG. cause i would say the germans should have a better tranny than the SST, but who knows. i would rather still buy manual, over that.

Let me ask you something and answer honestly. Why do you like Manual?

jdmSpecMR
03-20-2008, 05:42 PM
well i like manual for the sole purpose of it being a whole lot better to race with on the track and what not. But if your in to just be a daily driver then by all means go auto or sst (same shit) cause when it comes to traffic, its obvious who will be happier :lol:

DirectorSe7en
03-20-2008, 05:56 PM
Thanks for the honesty.

<----Never going to track, just trying to DD.

jdmSpecMR
03-20-2008, 06:04 PM
Thanks for the honesty.

<----Never going to track, just trying to DD.

then by all means bro. go SST. just a shame they cant hold down much tourqe.

DirectorSe7en
03-20-2008, 06:07 PM
True that, and in any case, 300wtq/350whp isn't bad.

And who says it can't be fixed somehow ya know?

jdmSpecMR
03-20-2008, 06:08 PM
yup. just got to wait and be patient :lol: which sucks ass like russback mountain.

AWDrift
03-20-2008, 07:14 PM
yeeeah..

DirectorSe7en
03-20-2008, 07:26 PM
Yup.

Ben
03-21-2008, 01:21 AM

Let me ask you something and answer honestly. Why do you like Manual?

Driving manual is fun. The driving experience just seems more engaging. It's nice to be in control of what gear you are in.

Don't let people see you're bothered by the auto thing and no one will poke fun.

DirectorSe7en
03-21-2008, 09:48 AM
lol, I'm not really bothered by it. I just feel like it's a fad around here and wont crumble to it. And since I already know it's just a matter of preference I wanted to see what peoples reasons are.

Jay
03-21-2008, 10:06 AM
Its just a matter of you not being able to handle the sure awsomeness of a EVO.

DirectorSe7en
03-21-2008, 10:12 AM
Of course, and that's exactly why I towed my VIII to every meet I went to.

JDMevoBOOST
03-21-2008, 10:27 AM
Well to be honest. The thing that has annoyed me most about these auto-stick cars in the past was the lagginess between the shifts. If what Tsuchiya is saying is correct it would seem that they have corrected it on both ends.

I remember in 01 I test drove a Prelude with that auto stick and it was a huge POS. You would click the + and like a second and a half later it would shift. With no lagginess I think this would be the best of both worlds. I know there are times when I wish I wasn't driving stick. The commute accross the Bay Bridge comes to mind.

DirectorSe7en
03-21-2008, 10:32 AM
I know there are times when I wish I wasn't driving stick. The commute accross the Bay Bridge comes to mind.

+1. CharlesJ of EvoM, wrote a review of the X MR and stated;
"the X MR'S gearbox shifts faster then anyone you know in a Manual gearbox".

I believe him to, since it pre-selects the next gear it needs to be in, there should never be a delay.

Jay
03-21-2008, 11:18 AM

past tense, exactly ;)

DirectorSe7en
03-21-2008, 12:03 PM

past tense, exactly

Of course it's past tense, had I said, "which is why I will tow" it would be more of an agreeance with you and a plan to start towing as opposed to sarcasm. Plus it would insinuate that I still own an Evo and have the ability to tow a car I no longer own....

.... :?

$$Wino$$
03-21-2008, 12:10 PM
I've always been sort of a auto/paddle shift pessimist....I don't think I ever doubted that ultimately they would shift faster than I ever could..My problem with them has always been more when it comes to the downshifting being a little strange/hard to manage...Also that's a pretty substantial price hike which is always something I weigh in. Part of the reason why I like Evos so much is because when you get a nice stripped down one like my VIII was (because there weren't a whole lot of options anyways) or my new one (which is the totally base model)....you get a kickass car with great power, a nice suspension, awd, and 4-doors...for a darn good price.. $31k for that car seems pretty good to me....When I start to think about the NAV system, the fancy stereo, the body kit with the bigger wing and another inch or so all around, and then whatever comes with the MR I start thinking about it maybe being a $40something car or close to it. Some people are going to like the SST more than the manual transmission...who knows maybe i would even be one of them...But I'm pretty sure I don't like it $6k-$8k more even though I could still afford the car fine.

DirectorSe7en
03-21-2008, 12:24 PM
^True that. If the VIII had Navi+Nice interior I would've kept it. But I wanted more then a quick Econo-box.

I feel like the X offers the same power, if not more, with the same modding potential (see EvoM), still looks good (to me), with a more luxurious interior compared to the VIII/IX for not much more....

nightwalker
03-21-2008, 12:26 PM
every time I put my VIII through some twisty roads, or auto-x with it, I'm reminded how much I abhor it's weight. Automagic X with more weight? ...I'm saving for an Elise :D

DirectorSe7en
03-21-2008, 12:29 PM
every time I put my VIII through some twisty roads, or auto-x with it, I'm reminded how much I abhor it's weight. Automagic X with more weight? ...I'm saving for an Elise :D

Weight reduction is always an option. Someone on EvoM has already shaved 200 pounds by removing the factory sub, spare tire, etc....

You can easily get down the weight of a stock VIII with some interior subtractions.

AWDrift
03-21-2008, 09:04 PM
^ its still no elise :lol:

and sitting in the X..i see no real improvment of interior. seriously, all they did was make the a/c ducts more rectangular and moved the instruments around. the steering wheel blows too :lol:

DirectorSe7en
03-21-2008, 09:06 PM
Really? I personally like the steering wheel better, but I guess it's a person-to-person basis.

What would you have suggested they change?

AWDrift
03-21-2008, 09:10 PM
nothing..i like the ct9 interior.

the wheel is definately something people either hate or love. theres no clutter on the ct9 wheel (no buttons and what not). plus its a momo wheel, which makes cooler than the average wheel.

but yeah, i just dont want a bunch of buttons all over the steering wheel. its also on the big side isn't it? the steering wheel looks kinda big?

nightwalker
03-21-2008, 09:11 PM
I hate the way thick steering wheels feel. I've wanted to change the one in my Evo for a long time, but it's a street car, so I'm just going to deal with it.

There is nothing as sublime as taking corner after corner, through off camber switchbacks and increasing radius turns with a <2500lb car. Elise=2000lbs? Yes please!

AWDrift
03-21-2008, 09:13 PM
you think the VIII wheel is too thick?

nightwalker
03-21-2008, 09:15 PM
yep, and the X feels thicker :?

chuynh207
03-29-2008, 01:32 AM
I like the 5spd over the SST. Only because I love shifting and having more "direct" control over the car. Having a 5spd as a DD isn't bad for me cuz I don't work/live around traffic, and if I'm ever gonna be stuck in it, imma pull over and watch some movies!!!

DirectorSe7en
03-29-2008, 10:05 AM
Where'd you get your X from? Pics?