PDA

View Full Version : Coilover install

EVO GRIM
12-14-2004, 06:50 PM
Am I crazy trying to install and adjust height on coilovers? I know I will need an alignment after. Any advise is apreciated. Oh and what to set camber and all that shizzle for auto cross. Thanks guys

vtluu
12-14-2004, 07:12 PM
Keep in mind changing the ride height may affect your camber and/or toe. I'm getting coilvers soon and I think I'm going to try for something like 1" lower than stock. I really don't want to go crazy worrying about speedbumps and curbs and parking...

vtluu
12-14-2004, 08:12 PM
On a related note: I should have a set of coilovers by this weekend. However it does not come with camber plates or rear pillow ball mounts. (So, can you guess which coilovers I'm getting (or not)?)

Any recommendations for those? The Cusco ones are pretty inexpensive, are they decent? Or should I spend the extra $50 or so for the WORKS ones?

And what about the rears? If I don't install pillowball mounts now and put them on later, will I need to get the car aligned again?

I'd like to install them this weekend but I really only want to get the car aligned (and corner-balanced) once, so if I don't have the camber plates I may wait...

nebolic
12-14-2004, 08:29 PM
i would say go with the ones with pillow mounts and camber plates, might as well. Cause you'll end up spending more time later re-installing camber plates if you opt to. Save you some time and money in the long run.

Good luck on your purchase and post a review when you're done, you always do good write ups :)

Nebo

EVO GRIM
12-14-2004, 09:01 PM
Hey Tam you got pm.

EVO GRIM
12-19-2004, 04:42 PM
Well a 4 hour or so job. Wasn't in too big of a hurry. The d2's are nice eccept theres no spot to bolt the brake lines to. The ride is much smoother than stock as far as dampening. More info to come with more driving. Oh I lowered it 1" in front and 3/4 in back. Probably could go more.

http://www.norcalevo.net/gallery/albums/album126/DSC00601.sized.jpg
http://www.norcalevo.net/gallery/albums/album126/DSC00602.sized.jpg

vtluu
12-20-2004, 01:16 AM
Nice job! :thumbsup:

EVO GRIM
12-20-2004, 07:57 AM
I turned down the dampening last night because the wife was saying it was stiff, and I noticed some clicking sound going over sharp bumps in the pasenger front. Gonna turn it back up and see if it goes away. Any good alignment places closer to monterey area?

BluEvo
12-20-2004, 12:15 PM
looks good man.

EVO GRIM
02-05-2005, 12:52 PM
I had to send one of the front struts back to be rebuilt. After a month of waiting I got them back on today. They feel great! Time to get an alignment and auto X days in to see how they perform.

The spring seem too short on these struts, they are 8". Anyone have some 10" springs they want to get rid of? I need about 8k,6k. Or where can I find some good springs to put on these coilovers. Thanks!

Matz
09-03-2006, 11:22 PM
The d2's are nice eccept theres no spot to bolt the brake lines to.

Back from the dead!

Aren't the D2s the same as Apexi/Helix/Megan? Anyhow, how big of a problem is it if there isn't a place to bolt the brake lines to? Brings back bad memories of the zip tie controversy with the WORKS TKS lines (which I happen to have).

byt
09-03-2006, 11:28 PM
Dave, just helped my buddy install a set of stance coilovers and zip tied the lines to the body. Still plenty of travel so I don't think there will be any issues. The zip tie trick has been used on numerous vehicles. I don't see what makes an evo the exception..

Matz
09-03-2006, 11:33 PM
Dave, just helped my buddy install a set of stance coilovers and zip tied the lines to the body. Still plenty of travel so I don't think there will be any issues. The zip tie trick has been used on numerous vehicles. I don't see what makes an evo the exception..

Cool, thanks. I only brought that up because WORKS says not to zip tie the brake lines, but if there isn't a spot to bolt the brake lines, then I'll have to zip tie, I guess. Hmm... :?

So was the installation pretty easy? Once I get the last two bolts on the hub torqued properly, I plan to start on the fronts... My schedule freed up, so I'm hoping to get the car on the road in time for the 9/23 GGLC autocross.

byt
09-03-2006, 11:36 PM
The install was very easy and straight forward. The front brake lines are attached to a stud on the stock shock bodies via metal brackets. I suppose you could zip tie those brackets instead of the lines if you were really paranoid about it.

MarkSAE
09-04-2006, 07:37 AM
Yeah, I'd zip tie that metal bracket to the strut.

I've seen a picture in a japanese magazine of a brake line mount that looks like a hose clamp. It just clamps around the strut w/ a bracket sticking out of it for the brake lines.

Just make sure there is plenty of slack on the brake lines at the extreme steer angles. You definitely don't want to induce any "pulling" action on the lines.

Matz
09-04-2006, 08:06 AM
Sounds good. I was actually thinking about hose clamps, too. We'll just have to see what happens once I pull off the stock struts.

KareBearPowa
09-04-2006, 09:57 AM
Dave, if your coilovers are truely copies of the Apexi's I have then you have the brake line attachments.

Matz
09-04-2006, 10:18 AM
Dave, if your coilovers are truely copies of the Apexi's I have then you have the brake line attachments.

I should just go and look. :oops: I think I'll have to disconnect the brake lines to route them through of the brackets? I'll go and take a look now cuz I can't remember what it looked like. On the stock struts, I recall that the brackets have a hole, and not a U-shaped cutout. I hope I'm wrong.

EDIT -- ah okay, duh. The bracket bolts onto the strut. My DNAs seem to have something to accomodate the bracket. Sweet!

EVO GRIM
09-04-2006, 04:32 PM
Man 2004. I was a newbie back then. D2's were crap in the end. I blew 2 of them but the shop gave me store credit for them but I had them on and off way too many times. If your coilovers dont have break line attachments dont buy them. Thats probably not the only thing they overlooked.

Matz
09-04-2006, 07:28 PM
Man 2004. I was a newbie back then. D2's were crap in the end. I blew 2 of them but the shop gave me store credit for them but I had them on and off way too many times. If your coilovers dont have break line attachments dont buy them. Thats probably not the only thing they overlooked.

hehehe... thank goodness they have those. I got the front coilovers in today, but unfortunately somehow mismeasured before installation. After I dropped the car, I was treated to a sweet 3" front gap. :oops: Had to redo the whole thing, and now I can get about 1 finger in between the tire and the wheel well. I'll post pics later in a new thread.

AreSTG
09-04-2006, 11:45 PM
drop it like it's hott, you know you can't be ghost riding a monster truck

EVO GRIM
09-05-2006, 06:49 AM
difference is prob the sping rate dave. Remember 500lbs on a 500lb/in spring compresses an inch. On a 250lb/in spring its 2 inches.

Matz
09-05-2006, 10:09 AM
difference is prob the sping rate dave. Remember 500lbs on a 500lb/in spring compresses an inch. On a 250lb/in spring its 2 inches.

Excellent point... thanks, Marshall.