PDA

View Full Version : EvolutionM Tests Evo X MR, Evo X GSR, & STI

DirectorSe7en
03-22-2008, 01:10 PM
This is a long read, but a really good & informative one.
--------------------------------------------------------------

http://i185.photobucket.com/albums/x295/DirectorSe7en/ZZZZZ.jpg

Day 1, Arrive and Dyno
Despite the early flight and the kid who incessantly bombarded my seat with his feet, I was excited about the weekend ahead. I would soon meet Ali (SPT) and James Tate (Author of “The Inevitable Evolution”) out in California to test 5 very different cars. Well, ok, three were Lancer Evolution X’s and the other two were ’08 WRX STI’s, but it wouldn’t take long to discover how diverse of a group it really was. Ali had arrived earlier and acquired the stock STI from the Subaru facility. Shortly thereafter he picked me up from John Wayne Airport and after the long flight, lunch was the first priority of the day. After we ate it was time to head over to Mitsubishi, where we finally got our hands on the stock GSR and the new MR. We were introduced to the two cars and almost immediately we recognized the GSR was the same media trackwhore used by many magazines in the industry. Glad that we got a car that was finally broken in it was time to set off to XS Engineering to get dynoed.

One by one, we got the cars strapped to the outdoor Dynamic Test Systems Dyno. We dynoed the GSR first and it put down 268 AWHP, near what was expected on this particular dyno. Next up was the Subaru, which pulled 273 AWHP, besting the Evo. Finally, we tied down the MR, which read a mere 246 AWHP. We were surprised at first with the low consistent number from the MR. After consulting with Mitsubishi about the issue, it was concluded that the ‘too-smart for the dyno transmission and half-dozen ECU’s determined that the front and rear rollers (not connected) were spinning at different speeds and interpreted this difference as an absence of traction, subsequently dialing back power. Even with the low numbers, our experiences over the rest of the weekend suggested the MR had the same amount of power as the GSR.

After our long day of travels and dyno pulls, it was time to hit the sack early for the big day tomorrow.

Day 2, On the Street
Eyes still half closed, we met James at a gas station on California Highway 2 just before 6:00am. This location marked the entrance to a twisty and sometimes treacherous stretch of canyon road outside LA better known as Angeles Crest. For us, it was an all too convenient shortcut to our Speed Ventures track-day at the Streets of Willow. As we headed up the hill it seemed as good a time as any to get used to the different cars in a careful, but spirited, manner on the canyon run.

http://i185.photobucket.com/albums/x295/DirectorSe7en/zzzzzzzz-1.jpg

Evo X GSR
Although the Evo VIII and IX were great cars, the new GSR stood apart from its older brothers. It was heavily refined and it felt better all around. It still lacked the interior finish typical of other cars within its price range; however, the recent changes are a marked improvement. The suspension was firm over bumps but not jarring and the noise was reduced from previous renditions. It was noticeably louder than the MR due to a lack of a 6th gear and 16 lbs less sound deadening. The stereo had respectable bass response, which is a compliment for any stock audio system. The 4B11T engine was responsive but lacked some bottom end grunt. When the boost-induced torque came on, it was noticeable, but not earth shattering. When on it, however, the extremely free-revving 2.0L inline 4 had smooth predictable power delivery all the way to its 7k redline.

Aside from being heavily fortified, the new 5-speed manual of the GSR had a good positive feel and position. Shifting was not laborious and the clutch was medium-light. Pedal position was slightly more spread apart as compared to older Evo’s, possibly to accommodate drivers with wider feet. As in the MR, the mechanics of the car were reinforced by traditional and satisfyingly crisp “Evo” steering. The brakes were what one would expect and provided excellent linear stopping power, exceeding the needs of anything you would encounter on a public road. Unless you get yourself in a sticky situation, you will probably not overtly notice the AYC (Active Yaw Control)/S-AWC(Super All Wheel Control) on the street. The car felt incredibly well executed and whether at 20 or 65, the chassis, steering setup and drive train seem to beg you to go just a little faster and turn in a little harder.

http://i185.photobucket.com/albums/x295/DirectorSe7en/zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz.jpg

Evo X MR
In the MR, the subtle outward differences with the GSR were obvious. The MR was finished off with dark grey accents and chrome trim, while the 18x8.5” BBS wheels were a great fit that few would complain about. The new MR upholstery and trim upgrades brought the interior to a whole new level. The seats were firm and provided fantastic lateral support. The base stereo in the GSR was more than adequate, but the premium stereo/navigation in our MR put out sounds the previous model could only have dreamed (easily the best out of our OEM trio). While it does take a hefty hit on the wallet, the price seemed a tad more justified with the extra refinement. The navigation system was quick and intuitive. It worked flawlessly throughout the entire weekend, however, could be further improved by incorporating the existing phone system’s voice recognition.

When driven docilely, the MR was comfortable and quiet. The upgraded Bilstein/Eibach suspension was taught and proved more comfortable than the GSR and on par with the STI. If anything, I wouldn’t have minded a bit more growl from the exhaust.

http://i185.photobucket.com/albums/x295/DirectorSe7en/zzzz.jpg

Get stuck in traffic and the full automatic mode on the SST transmission will have you thinking that you’re driving a regular slush-box sedan. This was ideal for urban areas and proved useful in traffic. Decide that you want to have a little fun, flick it into manual mode and move into “sport” and you call all the shots. Through the hills of Angeles Crest, manual mode shined strong on the SST. Sure, it was hard to replace the sensation of a good heel-toe shift, but Mitsubishi did their homework and came up with a great alternative. Matching the transmission, steering and suspension were so precise that I got the sense of what the car was going to do before it happened. That level of predictability made the Evo X MR an incredibly easy car to drive. When combined with the adequate power that it shared with the GSR, the Evo X MR handled most situations on the road with drama-free ease. The MR was truly a multi use car that anyone can drive. If it were not for the laughably small trunk (slightly bigger than that of a Miata), this could arguably the best compromise of all worlds.

08 STI
Outfitted with silver BBS wheels and beautiful graphic grey metallic paint the STI’s new exterior had a more muscular look. We all agreed that the new design took the win for best appearance out of all 3. The interior also got the nod for highest quality and most improved color scheme. Grey alcantara and black leather replaced the econo-racer black and blue of the past. Additionally, the dash design and materials made huge leaps possibly exceeding that of the Evo X. While the new STI hatchback didn’t seem particularly large from the outside, the deceptively large boot swallowed up the three large carry-ons at the airport with room to spare, without folding down the 40/60 split rear seats. All weekend, we marveled at the STI’s remarkable daily utility. The backseat had even been enlarged to comfortably fit adults. Like the rears, the front seats were more comfortable, however were severely lacking in lateral support. By far the biggest interior downside was the optional navigation system (ours was a preproduction model). To use one word to sum up our Navigation experience, “grueling” would come to mind. In addition to freezing up completely a few times, it was particularly picky about how a destination address was inputted. Nevertheless, the all new STI was clearly the most suited and comfortable for daily use.

The chassis on the STI was completely revised and strengthen to accommodate the increased performance. Inside the large rear flares resided a completely new double A-arm rear suspension which both improves comfort and the camber curve to maintain the maximum contact patch. More poised and comfortable over uneven surfaces, the STI no longer seemed bothered by mid corner bumps making it extremely stable. While the steering weight felt decent through the canyon switchbacks, the feedback was still a bit lacking. A quicker steering ratio as well as increased feel would provide a more intimate driving experience.

Rolling onto the right pedal, we noticed the power band had been slightly increased due in part to the new dual AVCS (variable cam timing). The potent flat-four’s power is still delivered through the stout 6 speed with a tight precise shift pattern.

Before we knew it our canyon run was over all too soon. Luckily, we were only a few minutes from the track.

http://i185.photobucket.com/albums/x295/DirectorSe7en/zzzzzzzzzzz.jpg

Evo X GSR (On Track)
The GSR was completely in its element; engine, chassis, brakes, steering, and cockpit layout all complimenting each other. Around the first corner I quickly realized that the AYC was less than discreet. I tested the system by running too fast into a medium-tight lefthander (causing the car to go wide) at which point AYC kicked in by allowing the rear to push out in a controlled fashion. It felt as if someone gently picked up the rear of the car and set it down again once back in line, taking away understeer. Had I tried this same hot entry in an old Evo, or even in the new STI, I would have found myself missing the corner exit entirely. The S-AWC was less dramatic, but helpful none the less, enabling a far faster/better line in Tarmac mode than others

http://i185.photobucket.com/albums/x295/DirectorSe7en/zzzzzz.jpg

Evo X MR (On Track)
We had high expectations for the SST on the track as it had performed flawlessly on the street. In ‘super sport’ mode, the throttle response and gear changes were instantaneous. Super Sport was the only option for the track in addition to turning off the traction control. Approaching turn one from the high-speed straight made everyone feel a bit like Schumacher. The stable braking force and lightning fast downshifts gave the MR that F1 car sensation.

When set into full automatic ‘super sport’ mode, the computer took complete control and sometimes even revealed faster lap times. It was reassuring when the car matched my intuition, completing upshifts and perfect downshifts at what seemed to be just the right times. The SST was a technological marvel that allows the driver to refocus their attention elsewhere, but there was no denying that it took out a level of driving involvement. We should also note that the SST took a little getting used to, as there wasn’t the constant tactile reminder of gear selection one gets from a standard H-Gate. The MR’s super transmission was a crowd favorite and it continued to impress throughout the day.

The Bilsteins helped keep up the pace during high speed sweepers that seemed to scrub speed in the other stock cars. The suspension setup felt a little softer than the system found on the GSR, but it was by no means too squishy. Although slightly heavier, the additional weight over the GSR did not seem to have a noticeable affect.

Finally the time had come to test the Robispec Evo X GSR and the Robispec 2008 STI that had been patiently waiting. Each car had been treated to a custom RobiSpec set of coilovers, custom track oriented alignment, and exhaust modifications. Additionally the STI was treated with a different set of anti-sway bars. We didn’t get to drive either on the street, but being track cars, we didn’t miss much.

http://i185.photobucket.com/albums/x295/DirectorSe7en/zz.jpg

Interview with the Pro (Emile Bouret)

Emile found the Evo X GSR the most fun and most involving driver’s car. The MR was great as well, and the gearbox was phenomenal, but lacked level of direct control that comes with a three pedal setup. He commented on the smoothness of the SST and confidently stated that it was at least as good as the VW DSG. Being a bit old school, Emile would have preferred the small jolt that comes from a true sequential manual transmission such as found in the Ferrari. He feels that the physical feeling of a gearshift adds to the experience and makes the whole car feel more alive. Emile added that the SST transmission of the MR would allow a less experienced driver more time to keep their head up and focus on improving other aspects of driving which could help expedite their learning process. Still all will enjoy the utility, speed and precision of the SST.

He did however find the Evo X to be less focused than its older counterparts feeling a bit “Playstation”, but this kept with the more mature feeling of the new car. While the X’s suspension is softer and provides a more comfortable ride, Mitsubishi did their homework as it performs just as well. This is achieved in part by the new AYC system that Emile lauded time and time again. He found that it instilled a huge level of driver confidence that aids novices and pros alike.

http://i185.photobucket.com/albums/x295/DirectorSe7en/z.jpg

The STI felt slower around the track than both stock Evo’s but its power-band had more surge when getting on it, which was a plus. He noted that the STI also had the better feeling manual transmission and the strongest stopping setup. By the end of his hot-laps Emile had figured out how to use the brakes on the STI to get around the turns faster than we thought possible. Despite the abuse that the car took in stride, Emile ultimately complained of the same difficulty we faced in rotating the STI into corners as well as a lack of steering feel/feedback. He wished that Subaru would have displayed a greater level of confidence in their US buyers and he was disappointed that we were supplied a car that lacked adjustability and was so prone to understeer in stock form. While it is a safer setup, this takes away the fun of being able to drive fast.

Both the Evo’s and the STI’s pedals were slightly farther apart than previous which increased the difficulty of heel-toe shifting. Both cars also had sophisticated differential systems that helped put the power to the asphalt. Subaru’s DCCD system had more automated modes than before. This made a difference, but it would have been nice to have the ability to create an even greater rear-bias for the track. The Evo X manages to seamlessly transfer power, which lacked in the older Evo’s. While he appreciated the lack of turbo lag in all cars, he would like to see more turbo punch which is something that can be taken care of in the aftermarket.

http://i185.photobucket.com/albums/x295/DirectorSe7en/zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz.jpg

earlyapex aka jack ass
03-22-2008, 01:32 PM
The ‘too-smart for the DYNO’ transmission and half-dozen ECU’s determined that the front and rear rollers (not connected) were spinning at different speeds and interpreted this difference as an absence of traction, subsequently dialing back power. While hard to get an accurate dyno reading on the MR, our experiences over the rest of the weekend suggested that it has the same power as the GSR.

Say goodbye to your center diff/transfer case...

DirectorSe7en
03-22-2008, 06:10 PM
Are the ECU's in the IX GSR & MR the same? Or do they require different cracks.

I just wonder if when they crack the X GSR, that same crack will apply to the X MR.

AWDrift
03-24-2008, 07:51 PM
sounds like a road tune is the only way to correctly tune an X?

earlyapex aka jack ass
03-24-2008, 07:54 PM
sounds like a road tune is the only way to correctly tune an X?

No, a real dyno that has both f/r rollers connected is. ;)

DirectorSe7en
03-24-2008, 07:55 PM
Does GST offer that cure?

earlyapex aka jack ass
03-24-2008, 08:00 PM
I got to drive a new STi today with a Warfield quicky stock tune on it. 280wtq/260whp

I might get some crap for this but I have to say so far I like the new STi better than the Evo 10.

Some quick observations:

Interior material quality much better than Evo 10. To me the Evo 10 has hard plastic everywhere, where the 8/9 had some hard plastic but also some softer material and a better feel to some plastic, almost rubberized. The STi is like this. It just looks and feels better overall

Didn't feel heavy. The Evo 10 feels heavy just driving it. The 10 drivetrain makes it not feel so heavy when you are driving it spirited. The STi doesn't feel heavy all the time.

Great torque. This STi is stock with a quick custom tune on it. The car is pretty quiet yet it has a great power balance.

Transmission. I actually didn't like the older STi trans that much but this one is pretty nice. Close gates and short throw.

Good ride quality.

Seats still suck. But they look nice. Evo 10 has the up here for sure.

Tail comes out very nicely and with good manners and I wasn't even pushing the car.

Good feel to the brake travel. The Evo 10 seems to bite harder right at the start of the brake travel. I would take feel over more aggressive initial bite.

The whole car just feels good overall. This is the hardest for me to describe but I just got a better feeling in the STi than a Evo 10.

So far data shows the Evo to be better on track, but after my drive today I think the STi would make a better road car.

AWDrift
03-24-2008, 08:01 PM
oh ok. that dyno reads like a dynojet correct?

SouthernCrane
03-24-2008, 09:32 PM
I got to drive a new STi today with a Warfield quicky stock tune on it. 280wtq/260whp

I might get some crap for this but I have to say so far I like the new STi better than the Evo 10.

Some quick observations:

Interior material quality much better than Evo 10. To me the Evo 10 has hard plastic everywhere, where the 8/9 had some hard plastic but also some softer material and a better feel to some plastic, almost rubberized. The STi is like this. It just looks and feels better overall

Didn't feel heavy. The Evo 10 feels heavy just driving it. The 10 drivetrain makes it not feel so heavy when you are driving it spirited. The STi doesn't feel heavy all the time.

Great torque. This STi is stock with a quick custom tune on it. The car is pretty quiet yet it has a great power balance.

Transmission. I actually didn't like the older STi trans that much but this one is pretty nice. Close gates and short throw.

Good ride quality.

Seats still suck. But they look nice. Evo 10 has the up here for sure.

Tail comes out very nicely and with good manners and I wasn't even pushing the car.

Good feel to the brake travel. The Evo 10 seems to bite harder right at the start of the brake travel. I would take feel over more aggressive initial bite.

The whole car just feels good overall. This is the hardest for me to describe but I just got a better feeling in the STi than a Evo 10.

So far data shows the Evo to be better on track, but after my drive today I think the STi would make a better road car.

That's actually good to hear from you since i like the new STi...........i wish i could get it.