PDA

View Full Version : Lower the car or get 18" rims?

1stSAGE
12-18-2004, 09:35 PM
Any recommendations? Which will look better/drive better without losing too much stock performance for an MR?

MarkSAE
12-18-2004, 10:43 PM
Lower it! IMO, the stock ride height looks hideous!

jeffreywrc
12-19-2004, 11:24 PM
If your budget is limited...
I would like to recommend TEIN S.TECH low spring.
because not expensive but a little bit jumpy......
It makes you car pretty low(about 1 finger to the front fender)
But if u r going to track........not so good

jbigelow
12-19-2004, 11:52 PM
lowering your car with a nice coilover suspension is a better investment. IMHO

BluEvo
12-20-2004, 11:23 AM
get coilovers. if it's just for the steet and looks, i would get the Tein Basic or SS setup. not as expensive as the other coilovers and it gets you low and to the point.

T

1stSAGE
12-20-2004, 01:40 PM
Cool, thanks for the advice. What is the advantage of coilovers? I'm totally new to this so I don't really know what's out there. It's mainly for the street look. And I do agree that in stock form, the car is just a lil too high.

If I were to go with the Tein S. Tech would I need to change anything else besides the springs? How well would these go with the stock MR? Does the ride get rougher or is about the same?

What is the difference between coilovers and the Tein in terms of cost?

GReddy_917
12-21-2004, 08:13 PM
i agree with Terrence...but I also noticed you drive and MR...so perhaps a set of Zeals would be a good idea as well.

V8KiLL3R
12-21-2004, 08:56 PM
i had the tein s tech and it rides a bit bumpy but then again it eliminates the 4x4 look :)

vtluu
12-22-2004, 12:03 AM
The main advantages unique to coilovers are that they make it easy to change spring rates (by swapping in different springs--coilovers have standard diameters so you can put in springs from different manufacturers), and to adjust ride height--something you might do on a frequent basis (for example between sessions) if you're a serious racer.

A high-quality set of coilovers will typically come with better and adjustable shocks, too. Though you can buy adjustable shocks without getting coilovers.

1stSAGE
12-30-2004, 11:38 AM
Another questions is, will the current Tein springs out there fit the MR's new suspension?

r6bruin
12-30-2004, 04:50 PM
Lower it! IMO, the stock ride height looks hideous!

Totally agree! Stock ride height suck. :D

Evo[MR]88
01-05-2005, 12:30 AM
I have an MR Myself, i Threw on some Tein FLEX Coilovers :D , made the car feel extra tight and light thru some of the nastiest TURNS, i also have the EDFC Controller which is awsome addition to the package.

GokuSSJ4
01-05-2005, 11:05 AM
88"]I have an MR Myself, i Threw on some Tein FLEX Coilovers :D , made the car feel extra tight and light thru some of the nastiest TURNS, i also have the EDFC Controller which is awsome addition to the package.

Lowering the evo with any coil overs or springs can affect the way it handles, IMO getting coil overs and tuning them for what you plan to do (specially if you Road Race) will be best!

Bullet
01-05-2005, 03:12 PM
Get some Coilovers! :drool:

1stSAGE
01-06-2005, 08:06 PM
What do you guys think of the Tein SS basic?

EvoVIII
01-06-2005, 08:23 PM
What do you guys think of the Tein SS basic?
some people brought it and want to sell it coz they want something better, some like it coz is cheaper and can lower your ride as much as u want but not as good performance wise.. it really depends on if u just want to lower ur car or go with performance

1stSAGE
01-07-2005, 06:46 PM
My goal is to lower the car without causing any long term damage to the suspension. I don't want to put in some springs and find out 3 months later that the wheels are all jack'd up! heh.

lancerboy
03-02-2005, 10:34 PM
My goal is to lower the car without causing any long term damage to the suspension. I don't want to put in some springs and find out 3 months later that the wheels are all jack'd up! heh.could anyone please post a reply to this qoute because i also want to lower my ride and i'm debating between installing a CO or set of lowering springs preferably the WORKS Ride springs :?

nebolic
03-02-2005, 11:11 PM
getting coilovers and springs will do the same thing if you do not get it aligned properly. Regardless of which one you get, of course it will have to be aligned. You hear all these stories about peoples wheels get jacked, well its because they lower their car (usually springs) and they forgo the camber kits and wheel alignment and run their cars like that all jacked up. Few months down the road because the alignment is all jacked, the tires start wearing out all wierd.

Most Coilovers come adjustable so you can work the alignment . . .

Springs do not come with that adjustability therefore it is over looked often.

You really can't go wrong either option. If you dont track your car, no point spending a grip for a nice coilover set, you should just opt for springs.

Nebo

lancerboy
03-02-2005, 11:36 PM
thanks for the quick reply nebo :!:

i use my car as my daily driver and some of my main concerns are prematurely wearing out my stock suspensions, tires being jacked up and not able to accomodate 4 passengers. but of course, i want to address that huge wheel-fender gap. also, i don't think i could spend that much for a set of CO. although i do have plans of driving my car to the track maybe once or twice a year.

so probably i'll just save up for the WORKS S1 suspension package.