PDA

View Full Version : Motortrend Officially Reviews the Evo X MR

DirectorSe7en
04-01-2008, 12:26 PM
http://i185.photobucket.com/albums/x295/DirectorSe7en/112_0806_27z135i_vs_evo2008_mitstub.jpg

We've already done more than a few hot laps in Mitsubishi's new 2008 Lancer Evolution, but until recently, we hadn't yet driven the MR version, which is equipped with Mitsu's much-hyped new twin-clutch tranny. So we put the MR through our test regimen, took it out to the track, and drove it in the real world to see how the top-tier Evo stacks up.

Despite the Evo MR's fancy launch controlled sprint, the best 0-60 time we could manage was 5.2 seconds. Quick, but not exactly awe inspiring. The MR covered the quarter mile in 13.8 seconds at 100 mph flat.

http://i185.photobucket.com/albums/x295/DirectorSe7en/112_0806_16z135i_vs_evo2008_mitstub.jpg

On the skidpad, the Evo tilted the world back on its axis breaking the 1.0g barrier for lateral acceleration. It also flew through our figure-eight test in 24.7 seconds and pulled 0.77 g in the process. When stomping on the binders, the 3608-pound car went from 60 to 0 in a scant 104 feet.

After crunching the numbers, it was off to the Reno-Fernley Raceway in Nevada for some track time. Thin and hard, the Evo's tiller gives the impression that you're hardwired into the car; the action is light, accurate, and unnervingly fast at first. Once underway, the precision of the Evolution makes it easy to relax and focus on the technical, 2.74-mile Fernley track. It has a planted feel and little body roll, which means 115-mph entries into the double S-turns can be taken with a lot less pucker.

http://i185.photobucket.com/albums/x295/DirectorSe7en/112_0806_01z135i_vs_evo2008_mitstub.jpg

The all-wheel-drive Evo does have a problem of keeping its nose pointed in the right direction. But, oh, what a problem to have; at wide open in the MR, four-wheel drifts are an enviable distraction, easy to control or simply avoid once you learn to trust the car. The trick is to fight the instinct to slam on the brakes and, instead, keep the throttle pinned. The Evo's fancy Super-All Wheel Control (S-AWC) system takes care of the rest by sending just the right amount of power through three differentials; accelerating the outside rear wheel, retarding the inside rear wheel, or shifting up to 50 percent of the power to both front wheels.

Thanks to the MR's paddle-shiftable six-speed Twin-Clutch Sport Shift Transmission (TC-SST), the Evo always seems to be in the right gear as well. For fast lapping, we've learned to leave the MR in Super-Sport mode and ignore the paddles-so spot on is the TC-SST's automatic shift logic. We've come to expect perfect throttle-blipped downshifts and gears run to redline from these types of transmissions, but are impressed that the MR always has us high in the right gear, even in the slowest of corners. Test editor Scott Mortara can't say enough about it, "The Evo has the best version of this kind of transmission to date. It's just amazing."

http://i185.photobucket.com/albums/x295/DirectorSe7en/112_0806_02z135i_vs_evo2008_mitstub.jpg

Out on the open road, over potholes and expansion joints, the Evo rattles like an empty Danish cookie tin. On long hauls, the stiff chassis tuning and lack of sound-deadening lay siege to the senses.

Despite the rough ride, a few editors feel like the tradeoff would be worth it. Says Mortara, "I'll give up a better interior for a car that to me performs better, looks better, and has a distinct personality-the Evo MR."
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

God I love those seats!! Anyway, check out the specs. Hopefully that price is not true. I was hoping more of $36k. :(

http://i185.photobucket.com/albums/x295/DirectorSe7en/675675.png

overdrive
04-01-2008, 12:53 PM
Pretty good reviews... The MR will sell for sure!

slimdatwelve209
04-01-2008, 12:58 PM
man imma swap my seat for the MR one after seeing the pic

wilson1
04-01-2008, 01:15 PM
looks good.

bdking57
04-01-2008, 01:23 PM
looks good, plus was the scoop on learning how to drive with left foot braking at autox? Just like the GTRs run at the ring, the car could be dangerous in the right hands. The only thing im still scratching my head about is the lack of big power from this car....I expected no less then 330bhp, and its well short of that...aftermarket cometh.

earlyapex aka jack ass
04-01-2008, 01:27 PM
The only thing im still scratching my head about is the lack of big power from this car....I expected no less then 330bhp, and its well short of that...aftermarket cometh.

Oh yes it will indeed. Checked out the stock ignition, fuel and mivec maps today from a Evo 10. The 10 is going to get a HUGE leap in torque once tuned.

leaveit2bevo
04-01-2008, 01:55 PM
"The Evo has the best version of this kind of transmission to date. It's just amazing."

damn mitsu went with first try or die on this new tranny, thats a big accomplishment cant wait to drive one.

DirectorSe7en
04-01-2008, 01:56 PM
Oh yes it will indeed. Checked out the stock ignition, fuel and mivec maps today from a Evo 10. The 10 is going to get a HUGE leap in torque once tuned.

How exciting!

Dang, get ready to shell out big bucks.

AWDrift
04-01-2008, 08:37 PM

How exciting!

Dang, get ready to shell out big bucks.

excited? you're getting an MR :lol:

cool review but i cant believe the evo now weighs 3,600lbs. :( and is slower than a stock srt-4 in a straight line lol.

DirectorSe7en
04-01-2008, 08:53 PM
Exactly why I'm modding mine. I want fast!

overdrive
04-01-2008, 08:54 PM
cool review but i cant believe the evo now weighs 3,600lbs. :( and is slower than a stock srt-4 in a straight line lol.

That's why you have GST, speedelement, FIA, etc bro...

AWDrift
04-01-2008, 08:55 PM
how limited is it? 340wtq? or 340 flywheel tq?

DirectorSe7en
04-01-2008, 08:57 PM
Flywheel TQ. :(

AWDrift
04-01-2008, 08:57 PM
ouch..