PDA

View Full Version : 2005 SCCA rule books are now posted online.

chrisw
12-21-2004, 05:44 PM
SCCA autocross rules: http://www.scca.com/_filelibrary/File/2005SoloRules.pdf

General competition rules: http://www.scca.com/Club/index.asp?reference=gcr

hmmm...

With the way the EVO is classed in ESP there are definately open possibilities for next year....

como se de se "10.5 hotside"? 8)

EVO GRIM
12-21-2004, 06:24 PM
You need to be a lawyer to understand that shizzle. Whats it mean chris?

chrisw
12-21-2004, 06:37 PM
It means this:

Because the EVO is classes like this:

Mitsubishi
Lancer EVO 8

(basically all evo models are on "the same line" )
Implies that all EVO's sold in the US are open to update/backdate rules in ESP.

As you know, the new EVO's use a bigger turbo... If you have an '03 you can update backdate to a RS model trim if you want

I have also been informed by local tuners that the MR BOV holds boost better than the '03, so that is also available now.

The coolest part was after talking with Vishnu, we can get that larger turbo by just ordering the larger 10.5 exhaust housing for ~$300 from Mitsubishi, saving a bunch of money over buying a new turbo...

vtluu
12-21-2004, 06:40 PM
The turbo I really want is the Evo 6.5 TME one--bigger and less laggy; there's a place that sells 'em for $900 too. Tempting... But with no Street Tire class this year, I'm not sure I really want to play in Street Modified where I'd get my ass handed to me by a half-dozen of the country's best SM cars/drivers (and most of the other SM regulars too). :?

Isn't the US MR diverter valve the same as the GSR's (which is the same as the 03)?

Chris, are you going to update your cams too?

evo_dadi
12-21-2004, 10:05 PM
hey chris vishnu can getthe fp housing also for a cheaper price against the oem brand ;) i got mine from david@vishnu :)

vtluu
12-21-2004, 11:30 PM
That's missing the point: the rules are that you have to update with OEM parts for later models of the car (if that later model is the same class as your car).

evo_dadi
12-22-2004, 12:10 AM
ahh ok :)

vtluu
12-22-2004, 01:05 AM
Yeah... Unfortunately the Evo 6.5 TME isn't available in the US and therefore not legal for ESP--otherwise I'd already have that TME turbo bolted on. ;)

RT
12-22-2004, 08:34 AM
No turbo modifications in ESP, I see no change to 15.10 which in part states…

“…Turbochargers may not be added, changed or modified. Turbocharger and supercharger systems may only be updated/backdated with the accompanying engine unit.”

That’s still in 15.10, right?

chrisw
12-22-2004, 09:12 AM
No turbo modifications in ESP, I see no change to 15.10 which in part states…

“…Turbochargers may not be added, changed or modified. Turbocharger and supercharger systems may only be updated/backdated with the accompanying engine unit.”

That’s still in 15.10, right?

correct.

The question of the day is this: What are the differences between the '03, '04 and '05 engine?

I think the MR uses a different cam profile. But I think (still need to verify) that the regular '05 GSR and '05 RS use the same cams as the '03 engine. If this is true, then we can just rebuilt the turbo to use the 10.5 hot side like I said. Assuming the only difference is the cam profile, then worst case you swap the cams as well to update your engine to the '05 spec.

All perfectly legal under 15.1.C (update/backdate rules) as long as you use factory intsallation methods are used.

vtluu
12-22-2004, 09:36 AM
The '05 RS, GSR and MR all make the same power/torque so it stands to reason their engines are all the same, and therefore that they all have the same cam profiles.

Wouldn't you need to update the ECU as well?

RT
12-22-2004, 10:00 AM
I see where your goin’, but what if your opponents say that the RS and MR are model designations (not on the “line” for 2005) and therefore not legal to take parts from. I’ve heard the opinion that the Evo VIII terminology (currently listed) will only allow us to go between 2003 and 2004 models or to the end of the VIII designation.

Of course none of the people that told me that have an Evo….they all race GM products.

vtluu
12-22-2004, 10:52 AM
The 2005 "GSR" doesn't actually have the "GSR" designation, it's just called the "2005 Lancer Evolution VIII" so even then you'd be okay as far as swapping in engine parts (assuming they're the same as the RS/MR--which they are).

chrisw
12-22-2004, 11:07 AM
I see where your goin’, but what if your opponents say that the RS and MR are model designations (not on the “line” for 2005) and therefore not legal to take parts from. I’ve heard the opinion that the Evo VIII terminology (currently listed) will only allow us to go between 2003 and 2004 models or to the end of the VIII designation.

Of course none of the people that told me that have an Evo….they all race GM products.

good point.

Just look at what happened with the WRX and the WRX/STI. In ESP they are classed on a different line. That basically screws all the WRX owners because they can't update/backdate to the STI. The STI owners can update backdate between the '04 and '05 but can't use any base WRX parts.

The EVO on the other hand, is classed as a "Lancer EVO 8" which currently should include all the model variants until those models are properly classed. Since they are new for '05 look for an upcoming Fasttrack to see where the SCCA puts the MR. The rules look to be in our favor because the RS is already available and it has not been classed separately. Now if they put the '05 models on their own line in the ESP car calssifications, then we are screwed out of the turbo...