PDA

View Full Version : SAFC II JACKED UP!! WHY????

500whp
12-22-2004, 04:26 AM
Back Ground:

I had my SAFC II installed and running for about 1-2 month now! I been to the track, been on canyon runs, ran it hard and soft everywhere i went! My car runs fun, but latly at night it has been running a little rich so i lead it out and it was fine.

Today i was helping a friend install his SAFCII using my wiring to match his. We installed a Walbro Fuel pump before that. We did a test drive and started to get fuel cut at 4500 RPM. We coudln't figuare out why. So he took off teh SAFC II, since he was going to have some real pros tune it the next day.

Here is the problem:

He just bought a Data Logger so we were going to try it on my car. WIREDEST FUC*ING THING I STARTED TO GET FUEL CUT AT 4500 RPM now too....

after that i frist re did my whole wiring sottering again and it was good. But still have the problem.......

My Question:

HOW THE FUC* CAN I HAVE A FUCKED UP CAR, WHEN I WAS AT STREETS OF WILLOW RUNNING FINE, CANYON RUNS, AND DRIVING W/ NO PROBLEMS FOR THE PAST FEW MONTH, AND ALL OF NO WHERE ITS ALL FUCkED UP?????

MODS:

Walbro 255 LPH Fuel Pump
Greddy Profec B Spec 2 1.4-1.5bars
SAFC2
Greddy Ti
Helix Ti Cat
Helix DP
HKS Piping w/ Apexi Filter
Ralliart Spark Plug Wires
Spark Plug 1 Cooler
Koyo Radiator w/ Samco hoses
Ralliart Thermostat
Perrin Crank Pully
Greddy Type-S BOV

thats all the Performance mods that i have...

evo_dadi
12-22-2004, 07:28 AM
cold weather since it at night?crappy gas?we have the same amount of boost setting on the ebc but im not having any fuel cuts with it.but everytime i try to start upping the boost i get fuel cut also but i have little more mods than you.

500whp
12-22-2004, 12:01 PM
just tried it again still getting fuel cut at 4500RPM

MarkSAE
12-22-2004, 12:01 PM
It sounds like his fuel pump is overrunning the stock FPR. Perhaps his fuel pump is slightly stronger than yours? Or your FPR is working better his?

500whp
12-22-2004, 12:21 PM
but we both have the same problem!

But i ran it fine the night before, and it was just as cold....

Whooopasss
12-22-2004, 02:07 PM
Set the AFC to 0 on all RPMS and try it again.. if it does the same thing.. check your signals..

Check your settings once again

http://forums.evolutionm.net/showthread.php?t=87569&highlight=malibujack+afc

Could be bad gas or loose wire

500whp
12-22-2004, 02:23 PM
it can't be loose wire thats for sure, gas dont think so because i ran it good yesterday!

Whooopasss
12-22-2004, 03:42 PM
We have seen some afc installs that ran ok for a few months then go south due to loose wires (Sensor chk - Input Signal check display
) . . but then again, your might be different.. check your signals.

evo_dadi
12-22-2004, 07:32 PM
that is weird,last time i was at gruppe-s doing some base runs i was having the same fuel cut at the same rpm and that was at 21psi,so we toned it down to 20.1 tapering to 19.5 and that got rid of the cut.also what i read and been suggested is getting a slightly better flowing injectors maybe like a 660cc and a fuel rail.but i havent tried that yet since im on the modding freeze right now ;)

500whp
12-22-2004, 08:01 PM
i get what everyone is saying, but what i dont get is how can i have it working a few days a ago and not yesterday!

Whooopasss
12-22-2004, 08:52 PM
well when it is cold.. boost goes up a little that is probably why you are having that problem.. can you slightly lower your boost.

500whp
12-22-2004, 09:54 PM
well when it is cold.. boost goes up a little that is probably why you are having that problem.. can you slightly lower your boost.

yes but the person i helped had 1.3 still same problem. and the night before i was running crazy too nothing happen....

evo_dadi
12-23-2004, 12:04 AM
there's a ghost in the machine ;) j/k

EvoVIII
12-23-2004, 01:06 AM
He just bought a Data Logger so we were going to try it on my car. WIREDEST FUC*ING THING I STARTED TO GET FUEL CUT AT 4500 RPM now too....

maybe the data logger fuked up ur SAFC II

500whp
12-23-2004, 01:20 AM

yes may be i did have teh data logger in for a second

500whp
12-23-2004, 01:21 AM

did u fix it? if u did how?

evo_dadi
12-23-2004, 01:26 AM
i dont think the data logger has anything to do with it,since it it just a "data logger" ;) and the only changes it can make is pulling out error codesand clearing it not changing or re doing anything.

EvoVIII
12-23-2004, 01:36 AM
i dont think the data logger has anything to do with it,since it it just a "data logger" ;) and the only changes it can make is pulling out error codesand clearing it not changing or re doing anything.
but that's the only thing he did or touched, after that his car get fuel Cuts, and that's the exact samething that is happening on his friends car

evoredy
01-07-2005, 11:17 PM
check the hertz/AFM signal on the AFCII while accelarating to 4500. make sure there is no spike/bad fluctuation.

when the car is running right, remember the max airflow numbers from the AFC. thats one thing you can check to diagnose and get a control.

also, there is a mini-connector for the AFC2 in-line on the conduit. verify all the pins are snug and the connector is not under pressure or around areas that will put it under pressure/or get grounded. clean and re-seat all the pins.

there is an issue with the safc2 where the connector inside the unit (YES INSIDE!) gets loose from the cable being pulled (this should not be your problem)

i am assuming you are using the ECU power wire for power and have grounded the unit with the 2 ground cables in-line as per the AFC2 instructions.

keep us posted!

i have used the AFC2 for over 4 years on my eclipse gsx/100 degree weather/falling off the dash while taking turns(fixed)/etc and the unit always has worked flawlessly. excellent unit for fine tuning you stock fuel maps with aftermarket fuel delivery equipment. and the gauges are neat!

if all this stuff checks out, you may need to upgrade your fuel pump and get minimum 625cc injectors. that would knock out compatibility issues with the fuel system. i guess we do have a more advanced obd2 engine control system that may be fighting the tricked afm readings from the afc2. because of these complications, i have not installed my afc2 on the evo.
:wink:

one more theory: maybe the AFC2 will not let the ecu learn maps correctly. maybe you sould try driving the car (NO AFC2) for a little while and then install the afc2 WITHOUT resetting the ECU.

500whp
01-08-2005, 12:22 AM
check the hertz/AFM signal on the AFCII while accelarating to 4500. make sure there is no spike/bad fluctuation.

when the car is running right, remember the max airflow numbers from the AFC. thats one thing you can check to diagnose and get a control.

also, there is a mini-connector for the AFC2 in-line on the conduit. verify all the pins are snug and the connector is not under pressure or around areas that will put it under pressure/or get grounded. clean and re-seat all the pins.

there is an issue with the safc2 where the connector inside the unit (YES INSIDE!) gets loose from the cable being pulled (this should not be your problem)

i am assuming you are using the ECU power wire for power and have grounded the unit with the 2 ground cables in-line as per the AFC2 instructions.

keep us posted!

i have used the AFC2 for over 4 years on my eclipse gsx/100 degree weather/falling off the dash while taking turns(fixed)/etc and the unit always has worked flawlessly. excellent unit for fine tuning you stock fuel maps with aftermarket fuel delivery equipment. and the gauges are neat!

if all this stuff checks out, you may need to upgrade your fuel pump and get minimum 625cc injectors. that would knock out compatibility issues with the fuel system. i guess we do have a more advanced obd2 engine control system that may be fighting the tricked afm readings from the afc2. because of these complications, i have not installed my afc2 on the evo.
:wink:

one more theory: maybe the AFC2 will not let the ecu learn maps correctly. maybe you sould try driving the car (NO AFC2) for a little while and then install the afc2 WITHOUT resetting the ECU.

no spikes, my car is down right now so i can't do anything. But the key thing is that my car was running good, until i unplug the wires thats why im worried!!! but yeah ill look into it again!

Widebandphillip
01-08-2005, 05:11 AM
get a boost leak test. Your pipes may be leaking air that the maf already registered and probably is making your car cut fuel.

evoredy
01-08-2005, 04:03 PM
are you jumping the MAF signal wires when you unplug it? :shock:

if you unplug the connector only, the MAF signal wires need to be reconnected/jumped.