PDA

View Full Version : Uh, oops (lost my wheel lock key)

vtluu
12-22-2004, 11:56 AM
I have a sneaking suspicion I left the wheel lock key on the wheel lock last night after putting the wheel back on, and if so it's lost forever. :oops:

http://www.mitsubishicars.com/images/2003/lan/accessories/wheellocks.jpg

Any suggestions how I can go about getting the locks off? (Preferrably without damaging them, but I'll destroy them if need be.)

I'll give the Mitsubishi service dept. a call and see what they have to say...

vtluu
12-22-2004, 11:59 AM
Okay, called Capitol Mitsubishi and they said they should have a spare key that can take it off...

DnB_design
12-22-2004, 12:09 PM
Just happened to me a couple month's ago.. :oops:
I went to the dealer and they got the right size (colour)
they are color coded btw........cost me $13 8)

vtluu
12-22-2004, 12:12 PM
Really? I don't see any color on them...

egui42
12-22-2004, 01:22 PM
Get one from the dealer or order another one if you registered the product. I think its $11.

vtluu
12-22-2004, 01:26 PM
Thanks. I'm tempted to just borrow a key from the dealer and then put regular lugs back on. My wheels are scratched and scraped and only someone really desperate would want to steal them--and then I don't think these wheel locks will do much to stop them. Mainly it's just a hassle for me because I take wheels off and on fairly regularly (and if I run with race tires next season, even more so).

MarkSAE
12-22-2004, 01:43 PM
Where did you get your wheel locks from?

My McGard locks came with a serial #. I've lost my key twice already. Each time it cost me $13 to replace. I just called McGard up, gave them the serial #, and got a replacement key within a few days.

vtluu
12-22-2004, 01:47 PM
Yeah, I have the Mitsu ones which are by McGard. I'll have to dig around and see if I still have the serial #.

EDIT: yup, just dug up the card, called them and I'm all set. Thanks for the tip!

DRFTR8
12-22-2004, 04:46 PM
hey Tam, when you bought your car they gave you a lock number in your manual.. thats just in case you loose the key and they can get you the right one.. its a yellow paper with the key code..

EVO GRIM
12-22-2004, 06:35 PM
I lost a key for my truck locks one time. I took a cheap socket that I had and hammered it on the wheel lock and they came right off. So as good as you think your locks are there is always a way to get around em.

vtluu
12-22-2004, 06:37 PM
hey Tam, when you bought your car they gave you a lock number in your manual.. thats just in case you loose the key and they can get you the right one.. its a yellow paper with the key code..
Thanks, yeah I found the paper (mine's white) and they should have a replacement key to me by next week. :thumbsup:

DRFTR8
12-23-2004, 09:34 AM
No problem... glad you did it the right way and not wasted a day or so trying to take it off... ;)