PDA

View Full Version : Tranny fluid

warpspeed
01-27-2004, 03:38 PM
:D Just wondering. When do you guys change you tranny/xfer/diff. fluids? Or does it depend on what kind of a maniac driver you are?

howiEVO8
01-27-2004, 03:49 PM
hmmm...does it say or recommend anything in the Owners Manual? as too when to change it?

ob4
01-27-2004, 04:30 PM
redline mt-90 on the tranny and 75w90 on transfer and rear diff

warpspeed
01-27-2004, 09:35 PM
Well I just couldn't wait. I changed all the fluids(tranny/xfer/diff). My god, I couln't believe what I saw. I wish I had my digital camera charged up so I could have taken pictures of the drain plugs. The tranny plug had alot and I mean alot of metal filings. Actually all of them. I only have 2800 miles on the car and I don't even dog the car. I could just imagine if I did drive the crap out of this Evo. It was funny too when I drained the xfer case. It came out like "snot." It was thick and dirty. Funny though the tranny and everything else was quiet. I changed the fluids because I was bored. I used all GL-5 Redline 75-90 if anyone wants to know. I know some guys use MT90 for the tranny GL-4, but I heard that the GL-5 was alittle more slippery so I am trying that and if I run into any problems, I'll used MT-90. So to sum it all up, if you haven't changed you tranny fluid/xfer/diff. change it as soon as possible.

Noel

howiEVO8
01-27-2004, 09:40 PM
Well I just couldn't wait. I changed all the fluids(tranny/xfer/diff). My god, I couln't believe what I saw. I wish I had my digital camera charged up so I could have taken pictures of the drain plugs. The tranny plug had alot and I mean alot of metal filings. Actually all of them. I only have 2800 miles on the car and I don't even dog the car. I could just imagine if I did drive the crap out of this Evo. It was funny too when I drained the xfer case. It came out like "snot." It was thick and dirty. Funny though the tranny and everything else was quiet. I changed the fluids because I was bored. I used all GL-5 Redline 75-90 if anyone wants to know. I know some guys use MT90 for the tranny GL-4, but I heard that the GL-5 was alittle more slippery so I am trying that and if I run into any problems, I'll used MT-90. So to sum it all up, if you haven't changed you tranny fluid/xfer/diff. change it as soon as possible.

speaking of which i went in the other day to get some motor oil
at the local car parts shop and they're like...Redline doesn't recommend that you change your oil to synthetic untill about 8K-10K miles.

And I'm like..uhhh...my car comes with synthetic stock...hehe

Noel

sounds like fun...lolz...i think im gonna change it tomorrow...I might as well since im gonna change to SS clutch lines :)

warpspeed
01-27-2004, 09:44 PM
Tell me how the SS clutch lines feel compared to the stock. I am still contemplating if I really need it.

Noel

howiEVO8
01-27-2004, 09:45 PM
Tell me how the SS clutch lines feel compared to the stock. I am still contemplating if I really need it.

Noel

no prob, i got them for a pretty good deal and i dont even have to wait!
infact they're getting dropped off tonight :)

warpspeed
01-27-2004, 09:55 PM
Last month Lancershop had a Christmas special. It was $32.99. I was about to buy it but changed my mind.

EvolvedDSM
01-27-2004, 11:14 PM
Last month Lancershop had a Christmas special. It was $32.99. I was about to buy it but changed my mind.

Or you could just buy the 2G SS clutch line from Road Race (http://www.roadraceengineering.com) for $20 like I did (http://www.columbusdsm.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=1928).

Back to the fluids... I changed mine to Amsoil with the first oil change. Then 15K intevals afterwards.

howiEVO8
01-27-2004, 11:56 PM

Or you could just buy the 2G SS clutch line from Road Race (http://www.roadraceengineering.com) for $20 like I did (http://www.columbusdsm.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=1928).

Back to the fluids... I changed mine to Amsoil with the first oil change. Then 15K intevals afterwards.

dammit! i just got my Goodridge SS clutch line set for 40 bucks = (

ez76
01-28-2004, 01:11 AM
Do you guys know if oil flows freely between the transfer case and transaxle or if they are sealed and separate? My mechanic insists they share fluid?

EvolvedDSM
01-28-2004, 03:14 AM
Your mechanic is wrong.

EvolvedDSM
01-28-2004, 06:57 AM

Noel

Did it look something like this?
http://www.columbusdsm.com/forum/files/3.5ktranny.jpg

That was mine with 3500 on the clock. No way was I waiting until 30K as recommended in the manual :shock:

warpspeed
01-28-2004, 10:36 AM
Hell ya! It looked like that. I guess that the tolerance on the drivetrain is really small. I thought there was something wrong. When I drained my tranny on my 5 speed Honda with 80K on it, I didn't see anything like this, and I put a big ass magnet on the drain plug that I found at work and it was clean. I guess I will do more fluid changes on the drivetrain alot sooner. Hopefully as the car wears somemore that the filings would lessen.

Noel

redvolution
05-29-2007, 04:18 PM
bringing this one back, just for information.

I changed my drivetrain fluids at 5k miles (and ~8 days on track). Tranny fluid was nasty, TC was mildly dirty and rear diff was clean. Put diaqueen in tc and rear-diff and Redline MT90 in tranny.

Changed tranny fluid again this weekend after 7 days on track at 9300 miles: the plug was pretty clean and the fluid was quite clear. Granted I'm usually pretty easy on the tranny but nonetheless I was surprised how clean it was. Mine is a 5sp.

XVeloX
05-29-2007, 06:28 PM
well for the guys above, there HAS to be some wear and tear on the gears. That's what makes it shift smoother. From the factory they actually make the gears so that it's like they have already had some wear on them so that they shift smoother. When i took a look at my whole tranny all torn apart he showed me what a brand new one looks like from the factory and what a brand new one looks like that had been untouched. Both feel about the same but you do grind gears a bit with the untouched gears and synchros, but you have a LOT more room to wear before you get close to factory. Just a bit of info. But im sure there were tons of shavings off the brand new ones...

redtydsf
11-04-2007, 08:49 PM
revival of this thread:
Since Diaqueen has price differences between stealerships, someone correct me. Because i'm ordering this stuff tommorrow :x
3 qts. of Redline MT90
2 qt. of Redline Heavy Shock proof? (TC/Diff)
Changing clutch might aswell take care of these at the same time.

ZK
11-04-2007, 10:10 PM
Transmission I am running 2 quarts of Redline MT and 1 quart of Redline MT90 mixed to make the Mitsubishi recommended viscosity. It shows this on the Redline web site for the Evo.

evo8dustu
11-04-2007, 10:20 PM
can you guys tell me the diffrences between running the redline mt 90 and the bg syncroshift 2? and which local shops carry these items?

MarkSAE
11-05-2007, 12:30 AM
For tranny fluid, just go to autozone and pick up some Pennzoil Synchromesh. That stuff worked better than the redline MTL/MT90 mix for me, and I've stuck with it since. It's cheaper too at $6-7/qt.

I'd go to one of the local shops to get Diaqueen. It's worth going through the extra trouble to get.. especially for our t-case.

wilson1
11-05-2007, 01:17 AM
So Diaqueen for the front rear LSD's& Tranfercase on the 05-06, and Synchromesh for Trans?

MarkSAE
11-05-2007, 01:19 AM
For a 5-spd, the Pennzoil Synchromesh works fine.

Diaqueen in the t-case and rear diff.

redtydsf
11-05-2007, 06:30 AM
For a 5-spd, the Pennzoil Synchromesh works fine.

Diaqueen in the t-case and rear diff.

So 3 qts. of Penzoil Syncromesh, no mixing? Is there only one kind or is there a specific grade?
And 2 qts. of Redline Heavy Shockproof (i'm standing firm on this one bro') :lol:

MarkSAE
11-05-2007, 09:48 AM
So 3 qts. of Penzoil Syncromesh, no mixing? Is there only one kind or is there a specific grade?
And 2 qts. of Redline Heavy Shockproof (i'm standing firm on this one bro') :lol:

Yep, I just run the syncromesh with no mixing. It works fine and is also recommended by Jon@TRE.

wilson1
11-05-2007, 10:18 AM
what bout for the 6 spd, Mark?

MarkSAE
11-05-2007, 10:34 AM
You can use any of the fluids that work in a 5-spd.

earlyapex aka jack ass
11-05-2007, 11:20 AM
Yep, I just run the syncromesh with no mixing. It works fine and is also recommended by Jon@TRE.

So was straight MTL, so take what Jon says with a grain of salt. MTL feels like ass in our trans.

MarkSAE
11-05-2007, 11:51 AM
So was straight MTL, so take what Jon says with a grain of salt. MTL feels like ass in our trans.

heh.. I never heard him say that before, but I don't really go on evom.net much anymore either..

MTL's viscosity is 70W-80. Pennzoil Synchromesh is around 80W. Our trannies require 75W-85 or 75W-90, so the MTL seems a bit on the thin side.

byt
11-05-2007, 12:17 PM
i run straight mt-90

earlyapex aka jack ass
11-05-2007, 12:20 PM
he told me that when I had him rebuild my 6spd. I took that crap out after 200miles, replaced with mt90 and SPH and the trans instantly felt worlds better.

Jon is the kind of guy that when you ask him 5 questions, you get half an answer and not even for one of your questions. He might know our trans well but his communication is a huge turn off.

I have now had three trans done by him and now I am done dealing with him. Total pita every time, had missing parts, conflicting advice every time I spoke to him, etc etc.

Just my experience of course. Some others have better luck I guess.

trinydex
11-05-2007, 07:44 PM
For tranny fluid, just go to autozone and pick up some Pennzoil Synchromesh. That stuff worked better than the redline MTL/MT90 mix for me, and I've stuck with it since. It's cheaper too at $6-7/qt.

I'd go to one of the local shops to get Diaqueen. It's worth going through the extra trouble to get.. especially for our t-case.
how often do you change your tranny oil?

MarkSAE
11-05-2007, 09:54 PM
Every 6-8k miles, depending on how often I go to the track.

trinydex
11-05-2007, 10:13 PM
the penzoil doesn't last as long... that's why i ask.

leaveit2bevo
11-14-2007, 07:44 PM
he told me that when I had him rebuild my 6spd. I took that crap out after 200miles, replaced with mt90 and SPH and the trans instantly felt worlds better.

Jon is the kind of guy that when you ask him 5 questions, you get half an answer and not even for one of your questions. He might know our trans well but his communication is a huge turn off.

I have now had three trans done by him and now I am done dealing with him. Total pita every time, had missing parts, conflicting advice every time I spoke to him, etc etc.

whats SPH? Im about to change my fluids for the first time in my IX im trying to figure out what to run in the tranny. I ran like 3 diff fluids in my 03 tranny with no problems, but now everyone has changed their mind on what works and what doesnt. I just want the best protection for the tranny when I beat it at the track.

byt
11-14-2007, 07:53 PM
sph = shock proof heavy

trinydex
11-14-2007, 08:21 PM

whats SPH? Im about to change my fluids for the first time in my IX im trying to figure out what to run in the tranny. I ran like 3 diff fluids in my 03 tranny with no problems, but now everyone has changed their mind on what works and what doesnt. I just want the best protection for the tranny when I beat it at the track.
shouldn't you already know about the rre special cocktail?

cezber23
11-15-2007, 10:44 PM
which one is more better??? royal purple synchromax or BG synchro shift or BG synchro shift II transmission fluid???

joshesh
11-15-2007, 10:49 PM
i used GM synchromesh, the equivalent to the BG i think.

cezber23
11-15-2007, 10:52 PM
where can you buy??? how about the roya purple??? any body using this???

--anonimuz
11-15-2007, 11:07 PM
Just changed my tranny fluid with RedLine.. how good is this?

earlyapex aka jack ass
11-15-2007, 11:10 PM
Just changed my tranny fluid with RedLine.. how good is this?

Which redline weight? MT-90 or MTL?

--anonimuz
11-15-2007, 11:13 PM
redline MT90.. I hope I made the right decision.. my car is nothing special.. stock (tuned).. street car...

cezber23
11-15-2007, 11:23 PM
hey bryan how about the royal purple??? synchromax or the max gear is the one for the tranny???

trinydex
11-16-2007, 12:55 AM
it's not. it breaks down faster. it's the equivalent of penzoil synchromesh. don't leave it in for too long and definitely not after a hot event.

MarkSAE
11-16-2007, 11:08 AM
trinydex, where'd you hear that Pennzoil Synchromesh breaks down after one track day? I've done almost 20 track days using it and my tranny has yet to break down. I typically change my oil every 6-8k miles, depending on # of track days.

leaveit2bevo
11-16-2007, 12:38 PM
where can you buy??? how about the roya purple??? any body using this???

I read a tranmission fluid test on evom which was conducted by a independent lab and the royal purple did so bad it didnt even qualify as a 70-85 transmission fluid.

dabaysevo
11-16-2007, 01:00 PM
^Do you have any links?

dabaysevo
11-16-2007, 01:17 PM
The other thing is that everyone talks about diaqueen in the TC and rear diff, what about the front diff? Or does the TC share the same housing with the front diff?

leaveit2bevo
11-16-2007, 01:35 PM
heres the link although its on amsoils website its suppost to be a independent 3rd party test www.amsoil.com/lit/g2457.pdf

trinydex
11-16-2007, 03:23 PM
trinydex, where'd you hear that Pennzoil Synchromesh breaks down after one track day? I've done almost 20 track days using it and my tranny has yet to break down. I typically change my oil every 6-8k miles, depending on # of track days.
that's the service life though (keep in mind the service life of stock or bg is 20k or more). i think it was jon from shep on evom that first introduced the idea of using the cheaper penzoil/gm solution. but he said he never left it in for more than 1 race.

people started getting confused and saying it's just as good as bg or it's the same as bg which isn't true. leaving it in their cars for extended periods or extended periods after track days might cause them to run on thin fluid without them knowing. there's at least one such person on evom complaining and it's totally his fault for not understanding. don't want the same confusion going around.

the fact is most people don't change their tranny fluid every two oil changes. the other reality is that you don't really have to either. it's a good practice but most people are like... huh? tranny fluid? change? and they can't even remember if they've ever done it. te factory spec is 30k miles... that's certainly not right if you're beating the car. going off of the penzoil stuff at such a service cycle is asking for something bad to happen.

http://forums.evolutionm.net/showthread.php?p=3917725&highlight=penzoil#post3917725

this thread has all the conflicting points of view. bottomline is that penzoil has short service life, you need to change it often and most people aren't conscientious enough for that.

earlyapex aka jack ass
11-16-2007, 06:55 PM
redline MT90.. I hope I made the right decision.. my car is nothing special.. stock (tuned).. street car...

Yup MT90 works well with the 5spd :)

typhoon 28
12-16-2007, 01:28 AM
does anyone like Mobil 1 75-90?