PDA

View Full Version : Tighten Wastegate Actuator to hold more peak boost

Unowned
04-30-2008, 09:18 AM
I've been pondering this since i saw it yesterday while reading the thread on Evom.net http://forums.evolutionm.net/showthread.php?t=341540.

Interesting enough with the stock boost mapping it's needing more PSI to push open the WG flapper and holding more peak boost! Now i'm guessing this is increasing boost across the entire range linearly as stated by another person who got a Boost gauge hooked up and now it peaks at 27 Psi dropping to 21 at redline (he's crazy and fully tightened it to the max). But this would be good to do up top for the redline boost to be make 20 psi and then use ecu boost to lower the 3000-5000 range back to 91 Oct proper levels since it technically should be at 26 psi from this change.

The biggest problem with Ecu tune was no one was able to get the redline boost to go past 17 psi with the ecu mapps.

I'm still debating to wait until the AFRs can be monitored or maybe a 2nd car is put on the dyno since the boost charts are wack now even though TQ was about the same.

So questions are is this out of the efficiency range of the turbo to be run like this?
Could this be done properly with ecu boost to lower the "peak" boost range to proper 91 oct levels?

I would like to serious inquires/answers regarding this topic please especially from Bryan@GST

italyix
04-30-2008, 09:35 AM
I used to do this to my VW GTI Turbo. Worked fine for me.

earlyapex aka jack ass
04-30-2008, 10:57 AM
The biggest problem with Ecu tune was no one was able to get the redline boost to go past 17 psi with the ecu mapps.

I would like to serious inquires/answers regarding this topic please especially from Bryan@GST

It was the same with the Evo 8/9 when using ecu-boost and a 100% stock boost system. This is where the upgraded pills come into play. :)

The Evo X already has an advantage in Ecu-boost control compared to the Evo 8/9 as the Evo X now uses 3D boost maps and has a 3bar MAP sensor from the factory. This is much like what Subarus have.

Another advantage the Evo X has is that it has a IAT sensor in the MAF *and* on the intake manifold. This will allow us to log intake temp post-intercooler which will give us good information on real intake temp and if more boost up top is just making the turbo into a hairdryer, also will show us how efficient FMIC upgrades are.

Some of the 8/9's had loose wastegate actuators from the factory. Tightening them up a little help with spool and a how much boost they could hold up top. It is a balancing act however as too much preload on the actuator will cause boost spikes that cannot be tuned out, even with ecu-boost.

Unowned
04-30-2008, 11:06 AM

It was the same with the Evo 8/9 when using ecu-boost and a 100% stock boost system. This is where the upgraded pills come into play. :)

The Evo X already has an advantage in Ecu-boost control compared to the Evo 8/9 as the Evo X now uses 3D boost maps and has a 3bar MAP sensor from the factory. This is much like what Subarus have.

Another advantage the Evo X has is that it has a IAT sensor in the MAF *and* on the intake manifold. This will allow us to log intake temp post-intercooler which will give us good information on real intake temp and if more boost up top is just making the turbo into a hairdryer, also will show us how efficient FMIC upgrades are.

Some of the 8/9's had loose wastegate actuators from the factory. Tightening them up a little help with spool and a how much boost they could hold up top. It is a balancing act however as too much preload on the actuator will cause boost spikes that cannot be tuned out, even with ecu-boost.

okay that makes sense to wait for pill testing and ecu boost control capabilites for increased redline boost instead of ghetto uncontrolled things like extra preload on the WG

Boostd4
05-02-2008, 09:06 AM

okay that makes sense to wait for pill testing and ecu boost control capabilites for increased redline boost instead of ghetto uncontrolled things like extra preload on the WG

C'mon Matt, let's roll the dice and see if this thing can hold 30psi! lol

Unowned
05-04-2008, 11:09 PM

C'mon Matt, let's roll the dice and see if this thing can hold 30psi! lol

sure, you first let me know your results :P