PDA

View Full Version : Failed the Smog Test No Cat from (Maryland)

jedflip23
05-05-2008, 10:24 AM
Ok just moved here couple weeks ago originally from Maryland and decided to get my car smog test so i can get Cali tags but failed. Mods are injen pipes, fmic, hks exhaust no CAT, fuel pump, mbc, AL Flash and its running lil rich and I have 93octane on the tank. My HCM(PPM-115) and my CO(% is 1.05). My questions are will it help if i get my car re-tuned at 91 octane? Also anyone with no CAT where do you get you car smog checked and do you pass WITHOUT CAT?

I wish i can keep my tag but im not in the military so dont know if possible. Any advice please will be appreciated... Thanks in advance.

mtsevovii
05-05-2008, 10:27 AM
just put the stock cat back on

ZK
05-05-2008, 10:27 AM
No car can pass smog without a cat. Your best bet is to put everything back to stock to pass smog.

chrisw
05-05-2008, 10:28 AM
best thing you can do is put the car back to stock (as much as possible)

you will need a cat in place to pass inspection. Given CA reputation with emissions, what the hell were you thinking trying to go through without one?

I am sure there are plenty of members here who can help.

good luck.

whtrice
05-05-2008, 10:29 AM
Cat it...Also look into retuning for 91 if you don't have access to higher octane.

nebolic
05-05-2008, 10:31 AM
stock cat and you should be fine.

btw, if you're caught running without a CAT (at least in cali) it's a big fine.

and get tuned for 91. I don't think you can find any 93 out here.

nebo

awdaddict
05-05-2008, 10:38 AM

nebo

Only if they give you a non-fixable violation :P
$1k per cat?

nebolic
05-05-2008, 10:43 AM

nebo

Only if they give you a non-fixable violation :P
$1k per cat?

i think if you get caught by the po-po and they see no cat, it's non fixable on the spot. (if i remember corrrectly) ;)

either way, the trade off isn't worth that much... a few ponies or a big ass fine (IMO)

nebo

jedflip23
05-05-2008, 10:45 AM
WoW cali law is such a pain...... In MD i pass even without cat and the good thing is it only takes about 2min and your done with the Smog test.

nebolic
05-05-2008, 10:47 AM
WoW cali law is such a pain...... In MD i pass even without cat and the good thing is it only takes about 2min and your done with the Smog test.

cali is a bitch, if it wasn't for the nice weather, i wouldn't live here. We are the SMOG police state.

nebo

whtrice
05-05-2008, 10:48 AM
Yes...We truly pay a premium for the nice weather we get.

jedflip23
05-05-2008, 10:57 AM
Ok problem is I dont have my stock exhaust..... if i get a 3" cat welded in my RnR exhaust will it work?

hi_nrg_fizzix
05-05-2008, 10:59 AM
You need the stock cat, most aftermarket cats will not pass smog.

nebolic
05-05-2008, 11:02 AM
Ok problem is I dont have my stock exhaust..... if i get a 3" cat welded in my RnR exhaust will it work?

you can probably visit one of our local shops and borrow a stock cat for the test. i'm sure they have plenty laying around.

nebo

jedflip23
05-05-2008, 04:45 PM
ok i bought an oem exhaust on the forums but i have a problem. The apartment that i live wont let me do any stuff on my car on their parking lot they wont even allow me to wash my car. Anybody know a good shop that can swap it for a good price and put it back on after i pass the test? I live near Stevens creek mitsu. Sorry new in town so i don't know whats a good and reputable shops that gets the job done. Any help?

JDMevoBOOST
05-05-2008, 04:49 PM
Ummm I hope you know that a stock exhaust usually does not include the cat. just checking here in case you thought the two were the same. They are separate pieces of the exhaust system, but often do not come together.

homi mike
05-05-2008, 05:05 PM
Do you have any contacts (family, good friends) who still live in Maryland?

If yes, I would just leave the stuff on the car, change your DL's address to whatever your family/friend use and be done with it.

It's not worth it to get CA tag.

If not, put the stock cat and catback back on, buy a tactrix cable to save Al's tune (but it's useless anyways since only 91oct is available here) and get the car smog'd. Oh, make sure you have stock cams too (or HKS 264/272, whatever awdaddict used to passed smog here)

jedflip23
05-05-2008, 05:38 PM

If yes, I would just leave the stuff on the car, change your DL's address to whatever your family/friend use and be done with it.

If not, put the stock cat and catback back on, buy a tactrix cable to save Al's tune (but it's useless anyways since only 91oct is available here) and get the car smog'd. Oh, make sure you have stock cams too (or HKS 264/272, whatever awdaddict used to passed smog here)

Can you walk me through on how to keep my maryland tags without changing. I do have friends no relatives thought. I thought its only possible if you are in the Military? If you have moved here and found a job then you are considered a resident so it is required by law to get a california tags.

chrisw
05-05-2008, 06:04 PM

Can you walk me through on how to keep my maryland tags without changing. I do have friends no relatives thought. I thought its only possible if you are in the Military? If you have moved here and found a job then you are considered a resident so it is required by law to get a california tags.

if you live here more than 30 days you are required to register the car in CA. possible exceptison for military and students.

Positron
05-05-2008, 06:10 PM
put everything back to stock.

I dont even know how the hell u passed MD smog test without a cat.

Vicious
05-05-2008, 07:54 PM
ok i bought an oem exhaust on the forums but i have a problem. The apartment that i live wont let me do any stuff on my car on their parking lot they wont even allow me to wash my car. Anybody know a good shop that can swap it for a good price and put it back on after i pass the test? I live near Stevens creek mitsu. Sorry new in town so i don't know whats a good and reputable shops that gets the job done. Any help?

Is your Evo Blue?

SavageEvo8
05-05-2008, 08:00 PM
damn, i didnt know they were slapping non fixables on the cat-less. is that registering as a point on your driving record as well? thats kinda fucked to get a point for just an exhaust

nightwalker
05-06-2008, 07:23 AM
Post up the rest of your numbers from the smog test. It doesn't look like you're too far from passing.

SavageEvo8
05-06-2008, 07:27 AM
i just can not believe you even attempted a smog in cali without a cat......

Segfault
05-06-2008, 11:17 AM
Maybe later you could look into a HFC instead of a stock cat.

jedflip23
05-06-2008, 11:47 AM
put everything back to stock.

I dont even know how the hell u passed MD smog test without a cat.

In MD they just plug it in your OBDII and you are done... That Fast...So NO-CAT is not a problem

Is your Evo Blue?
No Silver

Post up the rest of your numbers from the smog test. It doesn't look like you're too far from passing.

MY HC(PPM) at Idle is 115 and my CO(%) at 2500RPM is 1.05. The tech highlighted it at the paper and he said that I have to put the cat to lower the numbers. CA SMOG is so complicated.. Maybe I should sell the EVO for a prius!!!

overdrive
05-06-2008, 11:52 AM
anyone with no CAT where do you get you car smog checked and do you pass WITHOUT CAT?

There is no smog place I know of that will let you pass without a CAT.

All of them wants a stock cat to be in place for your car to pass. Also, some smog places tend to fail you for the visual inspection if you have an intake and/or a header or both. They want to see stock parts installed. No aftermarket.

Hope that helped bro.

mikeyb
05-06-2008, 02:58 PM
place where i live does not care about after market parts as long as it passes smog then you are all good

nightwalker
05-07-2008, 08:25 AM
I'm willing to bet $20 bucks, that if you stick a stock cat back on that you'll pass. If the smog tech didn't have a problem with the visual, go back to him and you should pass.

jedflip23
05-07-2008, 01:10 PM
I'm willing to bet $20 bucks, that if you stick a stock cat back on that you'll pass. If the smog tech didn't have a problem with the visual, go back to him and you should pass.

yep he told me to just put it back on and i should be good. he doesn't seem to care about my intake.

willitas34
05-07-2008, 02:15 PM
damn, i didnt know they were slapping non fixables on the cat-less. is that registering as a point on your driving record as well? thats kinda fucked to get a point for just an exhaust

Yea, that is starting to scare me a lot! :( I guess it might be time for a HFC :( Even though I really don't want one... but I REALLY don't want a non-fixable or point on my record for just a TP :(

ZK
05-07-2008, 02:23 PM
Depends on where he is from. Some places in the US do not require smog checks.

My ex-gf moved to Ohio and where she was living they did not require smog, they had some kind of "vehicle inspection" but it was mostly just checking if the car is in drivable condition.

SubtleWordplay
05-07-2008, 02:26 PM
Wait- wtf? You get a point on your driving record for failing smog???

willitas34
05-07-2008, 02:58 PM
Wait- wtf? You get a point on your driving record for failing smog???

No, I believe it is if you are caught with a TP :(

SavageEvo8
05-07-2008, 02:59 PM
yah, ive been rollin with a test pipe for 3 years not knowing there were penalties like that....crazy!!!!

willitas34
05-07-2008, 03:01 PM
yah, ive been rollin with a test pipe for 3 years not knowing there were penalties like that....crazy!!!!

:(