PDA

View Full Version : Russell Driving School

EvoKach
01-05-2005, 10:58 PM
My parents got me a gift certificate to Russell Driving school for X-mas and I wanted to see if any of you had gone out before. I'm not sure if I want to spend a day learning in the EVO or in the cockpit of an open wheel. I can drive my dad's <<<<(pic)open wheeled Merlyn but getting instructed in one sounds good to. As I'm only going to be racing the EVO in about a year....having some training behind the wheel of my car is not to shabby either.

Here are the two I'm looking at:
Formula Racecar Experience
More seat time, more lapping and more exhilaration is yours in this full-day version of our Russell Test Drive. Experience the true performance that only an open wheel formula racecar can give – and the teaching methods that have developed world championship drivers.

Course Highlights

Drive faster on the breathtaking Infineon Raceway track, formerly called Sears Point
Learn the "racing line" and build smoothness and consistency
Practice correct gear selection, proper apex and exit of each corner
Hone your heel and toe downshifting and racecar control skills
More track time and in-depth coaching from our race-seasoned instructors
Personal one-on-one critiques after every lapping session

Performance Driving Tour
The ESPN Russell Racing performance driving schools announces there first Performance Driving event to be held Sunday, February 13th at Infineon Raceway. The performance driving courses gives you the opportunity to drive your performance car on a world class road track. This is the same track that NASCAR and the IRL will be driving in 2005. You will receive over 3 hours of track time in open lapping session with one-on-one in-car instruction from the seasoned pro's at the ESPN Russell Racing School. The focus of the program is open lapping, defined passing zones while making it safe and fun for all driving skills. In addition, drivers will be rated on their overall performance driving skills with over $3,000 in prizes and awards including the chance to win a 3-day Techniques of Racing course, Yokohama tires and 2005 IRL tickets! Your days starts with a short orientation and track drive then you are divided into groups, based on your skill and experience.

Course Highlights

Tons of track time
Open lapping sessions
Professional feedback and coaching
Defined passing zones
Groups for all skill levels

Matz
03-24-2005, 11:13 PM
Sorry to bring this one back from the dead, but I was just curious about Russell Racing School. No one ever posted up afterward, which is unfortunate!

r6bruin
03-25-2005, 12:41 AM
Sorry to bring this one back from the dead, but I was just curious about Russell Racing School. No one ever posted up afterward, which is unfortunate!

Went there before (Formula Racecar Experience) and highly recommanded especially when it's free. However the one I went to is a privately organized so they raise the rpm so YMMV.

Note that open wheel racing is more like kart racing with a close ratio gearbox. It feels very different if you track the Evo tho, even though the basic principles are similar...

http://www.socalevo.net/gallery/albums/album378/3081328370669l.jpg

Good luck!

EVO GRIM
03-25-2005, 07:56 AM
It would be sweet to get a group buy on a one day event with skip barber or russel racing. Anybody got any hookups?

warpspeed
03-25-2005, 10:13 AM
I've been to a couple of these school (Barber's and Russells) They are pretty good classes and are worth the price, well for me it was. The only thing is that you use their cars for the races. I am (was) looking for a good defensive course that let's you use your car. Because to me what is the point of taking these courses if you are not going to be driving the car that you will using daily and more knowledgeable with.

SJCoruja
03-25-2005, 11:14 AM
I thought I heard that Thunderhill has a driving school in which you do use your own car...anyone have info/experience with it?

wilson1
03-25-2005, 11:26 AM
It would be sweet to get a group buy on a one day event with skip barber or russel racing. Anybody got any hookups?

That would be good!

wilson1
03-25-2005, 11:27 AM
I thought I heard that Thunderhill has a driving school in which you do use your own car...anyone have info/experience with it?

This is interesting as well

SJCoruja
03-25-2005, 11:32 AM
OK, found the link to the Thunderhill school. It looks like it might be a bit tame for some, but for those like me who need to start at the beginning on track basics it might be perfect!

http://www.thunderhill.com/html/driving_school.html

Edit: I just realized I totally suck and have hi-jacked the thread on the Russell school. Sorry about that! :)

earlyapex
03-25-2005, 11:37 AM
OK, found the link to the Thunderhill school. It looks like it might be a bit tame for some, but for those like me who need to start at the beginning on track basics it might be perfect!

http://www.thunderhill.com/html/driving_school.html

Edit: I just realized I totally suck and have hi-jacked the thread on the Russell school. Sorry about that! :)

I did one of those a few years ago. It's basically just a HPDE where everyone gets instructors, some good, some ok. They do half track in the morning and open it up last session in the afternoon. They also put a chicane in turn 1 so newbies don't kill themselves.

I would recommend it for track newbies. People with more track experience will just get frustrated, just ask Methods4. ahha

methods4
03-25-2005, 12:14 PM
I did one of those a few years ago. It's basically just a HPDE where everyone gets instructors, some good, some ok. They do half track in the morning and open it up last session in the afternoon. They also put a chicane in turn 1 so newbies don't kill themselves.

I would recommend it for track newbies. People with more track experience will just get frustrated, just ask Methods4. ahha

I recommend it for newbies as well since you are guaranteed an instructor in every session. They usually have 3 run groups, A (real new) B (some experience) and C (advanced). Groups A and B are required to have an instructor with them and group C drivers are usually the instructors themselves or people that don't need one.

They do the full track all day but with chicanes before T1 and T8. Earlyapex was thinking it was only half track for the first half of the day only because the day he went was raining.

r6bruin
03-25-2005, 01:18 PM
I recommend it for newbies as well since you are guaranteed an instructor in every session. They usually have 3 run groups, A (real new) B (some experience) and C (advanced). Groups A and B are required to have an instructor with them and group C drivers are usually the instructors themselves or people that don't need one.

They do the full track all day but with chicanes before T1 and T8. Earlyapex was thinking it was only half track for the first half of the day only because the day he went was raining.

Actually trackday organized by many car clubs has similar setup. Novice group has instructor, intermediate group can have instructors if you want, and advanced group does not require instructor and have more relaxed passing rules.

I think ClubZ and SpeedVenture http://www.speedventures.net/ are pretty good on those, as they are not as crowded as NCDA http://www.ncda.net/ and the rules are better enforced.

Btw ClubZ's web site seems to be down http://www.clubz.org/, does anyone know what happen to them?

earlyapex
03-25-2005, 01:22 PM
I've done a couple events with ClubZ. You are right, they do have good instruction in the beginner group. The open group has a pretty good ratio of decent drivers as well.

Not sure what is up with their website at the moment though.

r6bruin
03-25-2005, 01:26 PM
I've done a couple events with ClubZ. You are right, they do have good instruction in the beginner group. The open group has a pretty good ratio of decent drivers as well.

Not sure what is up with their website at the moment though.

Hope they are doing all right, apparently ClubZ are the best for beginner IMHO... :|

Matz
03-25-2005, 02:14 PM
I've been to a couple of these school (Barber's and Russells) They are pretty good classes and are worth the price, well for me it was. The only thing is that you use their cars for the races. I am (was) looking for a good defensive course that let's you use your car. Because to me what is the point of taking these courses if you are not going to be driving the car that you will using daily and more knowledgeable with.

According to Russell Racing's web site, for the HPD class you do get to use your own car. The only requirement is that the car is < 10 years old. I am planning on signing up for Russell Racing, but hopefully it's not too advanced for me.

methods4
03-28-2005, 10:36 AM
Actually trackday organized by many car clubs has similar setup. Novice group has instructor, intermediate group can have instructors if you want, and advanced group does not require instructor and have more relaxed passing rules.

I think ClubZ and SpeedVenture http://www.speedventures.net/ are pretty good on those, as they are not as crowded as NCDA http://www.ncda.net/ and the rules are better enforced.

Btw ClubZ's web site seems to be down http://www.clubz.org/, does anyone know what happen to them?

Well with the Thunderhill school, they actually make sure you get an instructor in both novice and intermediate groups. You're not even allowed to go out on track without an instructor in both novice and intermediate groups. Plus there are chicanes in T1 and T8 so newbies don't kill themselves. So it is better suited to beginners.