PDA

View Full Version : Dealing with Mods, Smog & The Law

H8R_LOL
05-08-2008, 02:54 PM
I'm looking at putting some serious stuff on my car here in the very near future and I'm wondering how competent the bay area police officers are in that regard. When I was in San Diego, they had a group of officers that made up a team called DRAG net, which were trained in spotting aftermarket import parts or cars that looked like they would be involved in street racing.

Out of all the times you've been pulled over (for being profiled or whatever), how many officers suspected you were running non-CARB legal equipment and then sent you to the ref?

DirectorSe7en
05-08-2008, 03:02 PM
In my experience, it's as strict here as it is down there, even more so the closer to Sacramento you go.

Depending on what you plan on doing, the best thing you can do for yourself is to have a stealthy engine bay, meaning Black piping, stock ported manifold, GST's super secret SRI, blacked out exhaust.

Also, dont give them a reason to pull you over, meaning tint, or a big ass chrome potato launcher exhaust, etc...

Kings Fan
05-08-2008, 03:20 PM
And you better have your cat! meow

mtsevovii
05-08-2008, 03:22 PM
yeah police in the bay know to look for modified imports...

JERRY
05-08-2008, 03:25 PM
I think it all depends on what you plan on doing with your car. I've had cops ask if my alternator was stock... even if it wasn't there are not changes to emissions regardless. There are some officers that are more knowledgeable then others in the import aftermarket field, so it's the luck of the draw.

Jerry

05-08-2008, 03:46 PM
Why hassel with modding your car and have to worry about police; with gas price like that, i dont think you will enjoy your evo at full on the street, and if u plan to make your car faster then convert it to track car and dont have to worry about popo following your tail. To me modified car now aday so expensive and headache, it just nto worth it.

SilverStreak
05-08-2008, 03:47 PM
agreed with all the aformentioned posts.

So it really depends on who you get in terms of knowledge.

In other regards...I've heard stories where the cops are totally clueless and send you to the ref. just for the heck of it.

So yah...risk vs. reward is up to you. I'd recommend making it as stealthy as can be . The closer your engine bay looks to stock the better.

In general...they look for those large/loud exhausts, anything shing or not matching the dull tone of the stock bay. That's your best bet. But otherwise, pretty much anywhere in CA you can expect the "profiling" to happen.

H8R_LOL
05-08-2008, 03:51 PM
How much does exhaust note/tone play into this?

I'd like to run a set-up with resonators and a decent muffler, but I don't want to sacrifice performance. Regardless of the brand, I'll be spraying the can with flat black high temp BBQ paint as to reduce attention.

Segfault
05-08-2008, 04:00 PM
Exhaust falls under that: don't tint, run shiny wheels, or stickers that say LOOK AT ME! I've had no problems so far running a greddy evo2 which is a semi-quiet exhaust that has low tones.

Now if you run something that has a really high tone or sounds like a tin can, you're more likely to get looked at. You also should minimize the volume obviously. As for power, you shouldn't really lose much of anything if you're keeping the piping size the same.

H8R_LOL
05-09-2008, 01:06 PM
What about a light tint, say 70% all the way around? I'm considering that.

DirectorSe7en
05-09-2008, 01:58 PM
What about a light tint, say 70% all the way around? I'm considering that.

That would be less likely, near impossible to get ticketed for since people have 35% and never get stopped.

H8R_LOL
05-09-2008, 02:07 PM
I know that 70% is legal up front, so having it all around shouldn't draw too much attention I hope.

As far as everything else, I really want it to be as sleeper as possible. The last time I got pinched in San Diego, it was because the Greddy Evo2 on my Integra was way too loud and raspy.

Loseurself
05-09-2008, 02:13 PM
as many times as i have been ticketed, never once they asked about my mods.

Liquid-R1
05-09-2008, 02:27 PM
Running a Megan DP, rally cat and Megan cat back. I've never been questioned about the loudness of my exhaust. I think personally think it's on the loud side. However, I painted the entire exhaust flat black, so maybe that helps.

DirectorSe7en
05-09-2008, 02:28 PM
as many times as i have been ticketed, never once they asked about my mods.

But remember that a Human being is pulling you over, not a robot, so what you get from Cop to Cop is going to vary. Once guy may be nice and smart while another cop maybe a dick yet dumb.

So not getting questioned about Mods completely depends on so many variables that it's not even worth attempting to figure out which one thing gets your hood popped.
Although it's obvious that you shouldn't drive like an ass, with 0% tint, and a ricey exhaust. Certain things are obvious.

SubtleWordplay
05-09-2008, 02:32 PM
Mine is "Pull-me-over red" and my HKS Carbon-TI catback is fairly loud. I've been fortunate not to be pulled over yet whatsoever. (Asian Guy)

*knock on wood*

But I am out with the family a lot. I'm super careful.

rigd1
05-28-2008, 09:38 AM
I know that 70% is legal up front, so having it all around shouldn't draw too much attention I hope.

As far as everything else, I really want it to be as sleeper as possible. The last time I got pinched in San Diego, it was because the Greddy Evo2 on my Integra was way too loud and raspy.

I have 70% up front. I got busted for it. State law is, no tint on the front windows period.

SubtleWordplay
05-28-2008, 09:45 AM

I have 70% up front. I got busted for it. State law is, no tint on the front windows period.

Do you have 70% dark or 70% light passing? From what I understand light tint fronts are legal.

http://www.tintcenter.com/laws/CA/

rigd1
05-29-2008, 12:07 AM
I have the lightest tint available pn my front windows.

SubtleWordplay
05-29-2008, 09:48 AM
I have the lightest tint available pn my front windows.

Damn, and you still got busted? I was considering tints on mine but need to re-evaluate my options now. I've heard/ read different things from different places such as:

- Front tint 70% (light pass) is legal

- 12% (darkness) special medical version is legal with a doctor's note

- It's illegal to have front tints at all. The lightest one is just light enough to where it's unnoticeable. Authorities will mess with you if they wanna be pricks.

warpspeed
05-29-2008, 04:27 PM
In California, it is illegal to have tint on the driver's side. That law was back in 1999 and was changed. Even that website say that what they posted may not be current. Here is something to read about the vehicle codes:http://www.dmv.ca.gov/pubs/vctop/d12/vc26708.htm

ddubdb3
05-29-2008, 05:29 PM
Well I've been pulled over 3 times! Never once for speeding. I've got one state ref ticket+tint and the other two are for tint, exhaust, no front plate, smoked tails...I'm at fault for all that I drive a silver evo and don't want it to get confused with all the other 5 million silver evos... but its ridiculous that dam cops won't pull over a vette for the the same exact things. I've seen so many blacked out vettes 5% tint loud ass corsa exhaust black tails! But painting dam near everything in ur bay black does wonders. In all of my experiences being pulled over they jus ask "where's the sticker?" pointing to the upper i/c piping...chp is the worst! Local cops don't mind at least where I am

rigd1
06-06-2008, 09:07 PM
I just looked at the receipt for my tint....the fronts are 35%. Missed by 5%!!!

Oh well, I'm gonna rip em out.

nightwalker
06-06-2008, 10:05 PM
I have a baby seat in my car, and a cross hanging off my visor tab.

I use to keep my bible in my car in plain sight. Cops would pull me over and not mess with me. I had horrible luck when I was younger. But ever since I got the Evo, I've been much more mature about how I do things, and being a father forces you to be too.

It all boils down to how the cop perceives you. I'm a church going, well spoken, father that drives a red four door with a big wing is the message that is put across when I get pulled over. :o

Eric_SJ
06-10-2008, 02:02 PM
No tint up front is legal, but if it's not crazy you can usually get away with it, depending on your attitude.

The number one thing that gets noticed is, of course, the loud exhaust. Keep it down and you're chances of avoiding the cops are increased ten fold. The number two thing that gets our attention is driving like a asshole ; )

We do have DRAGNET here in NorCal. San Jose puts on the same course SD does, and gets all the California state grants to run special DRAGNET enforcement details. SJ also teaches the course to all the surrounding PDs in the area. Every couple months there is another 30-40 NorCal cops armed with the training they need to get someone Ref'ed.

Basically, play it cool and all is well.