PDA

View Full Version : Stock ride height?

vtluu
01-12-2005, 11:21 PM
With the Ohlins now on the car, I've been tweaking the ride height. Currently I have the back lowered by 22mm and the front by about 25mm--according to my measurements. But I'm not sure I totally trust my measurements because the back looks slammed (you can't quite see the top of the tires) and the front looks like it could still go another 10mm or so lower. (It doesn't help that I have rather tall 245/45 Azenis Sports on the car.)

I'd like someone with stock rims, struts, shocks and springs to measure their ride height so I can sanity-check my own measurements. Measure from the bottom lip of the (stock) rim (a good place to hook the tape measure BTW), to the very edge of the fender, making sure the ruler/tape measure is as vertical as possible. Metric preferred but Google will convert for me otherwise. Front and back (and both sides if you're really keen ;)) of course.

http://www.we-todd-did-racing.com/wetoddimage.wtdr/wNzMyMTE2NnM0MTNkZmQzMXk1NDE%3D.jpg

Thanks!

chrisw
01-12-2005, 11:40 PM
I have mine set to 23.5 inches front and rear using the height measurement you requested.

how do you like the ride?

ez76
01-13-2005, 12:33 AM
minor hijack, but how about MR stock ride height?

vtluu
01-13-2005, 01:28 AM
I have mine set to 23.5 inches front and rear using the height measurement you requested.

23.5" (597 mm) front and back, you sure about that? According to my measurements, stock ride height is 24.1" (611 mm) in front and 23.0" (585 mm) in back. So you've lowered the front 0.6" (14 mm) and raised the back 0.5" (12 mm). When I initially installed the coilovers, I had about a 3/4" (19 mm) drop in front and the rear was higher by about 0.4" (11 mm). I didn't want the rear higher than stock so I swapped in stiffer springs all around and shorter springs in the back, so now I'm riding at 23.1" (564 mm) in front and 22.2" (564 mm) in back. But I'm going to bring the back up a bit; it just looks too damn low.

Anyway, the ride is nice, not much harsher than stock, but cornering is noticeably flatter. I still need to get the car aligned (I'm now running probably somewhere around 2.5 degrees of negative camber and probably have a bit of toe-in as a result) and corner-balanced, but I'm pretty happy with how the car feels; can't wait to have it fully dialed-in. :)

Are you on the Ohlins springs, or custom spring rates? (I'm on Eibachs in front and Teins in the rear... I figure a spring is a spring.)

EVO GRIM
01-13-2005, 07:40 AM
Hey Tam when I lowered my car I wanted to do an inch al the way around, but the rear looked slammed compared to the front also. So I lowered the front some more.

my stock measurements are from the fender to the ground centered on the hub:

FL 27 1/8
FR 27 1/8
RL 26
RR 25 5/8

Yes I checked pressures in tires before.

P.S. I read that its best to measure from the frame, So upon my reinstall of my front struts I will fine tune to this.

smogrunner
01-13-2005, 08:03 AM
Great thread. I'll have to get the measuring tape out later.

garrick70
01-13-2005, 08:33 AM
http://www.we-todd-did-racing.com/wetoddimage.wtdr/wNzMyMTE2NnM0MTNkZmQzMXk1NDE%3D.jpg

Thanks!

Hey Tam,

My cars suspension is bone stock. When I measure the height as shown in your picture above:

rear = 23.5 inches/ 59.7 cm

front = 24.5 inches/ 62.2 cm

Garrick

chrisw
01-13-2005, 09:09 AM

23.5" (597 mm) front and back, you sure about that? According to my measurements, stock ride height is 24.1" (611 mm) in front and 23.0" (585 mm) in back. So you've lowered the front 0.6" (14 mm) and raised the back 0.5" (12 mm). When I initially installed the coilovers, I had about a 3/4" (19 mm) drop in front and the rear was higher by about 0.4" (11 mm). I didn't want the rear higher than stock so I swapped in stiffer springs all around and shorter springs in the back, so now I'm riding at 23.1" (564 mm) in front and 22.2" (564 mm) in back. But I'm going to bring the back up a bit; it just looks too damn low.

Anyway, the ride is nice, not much harsher than stock, but cornering is noticeably flatter. I still need to get the car aligned (I'm now running probably somewhere around 2.5 degrees of negative camber and probably have a bit of toe-in as a result) and corner-balanced, but I'm pretty happy with how the car feels; can't wait to have it fully dialed-in. :)

Are you on the Ohlins springs, or custom spring rates? (I'm on Eibachs in front and Teins in the rear... I figure a spring is a spring.)

I rechecked the heights (I was freezing my ass off last night when I checked ), and the front is 23 3/8" and the rear is 23.5. I was never really interested in lowering the car alot, just getting a better suspension. I don't know how much I dropped the car, I forgot to measure before putting the ohlins on.

I am using hypercoil springs front and rear with custom spring rates. How big are the springs that your using? I use a 10" spring in front, and a 8" spring in the rear.

http://www.grippybits.com/random/image_035.jpg

RT
01-13-2005, 09:25 AM
Hey Tam

Prior to making any suspension or tire changes we put the car on a surface plate and confirmed the factory dimensions from various points on the bottom of the frame and found they were all within factory specs. Our rim to fender measurement at that time was 24.25” in the front and 24.0” in the rear.

Visible the tire to fender gap on stock Evos is always a bit greater in the front than the rear so don’t let it throw you. Don’t lower the front to make it “look” like the rear or you’ll end up adding too much chassis rake to the car. While that would be a good thing for someone like Smoggy (drag racing, high speed straight line) it’s not so good for us (constant transitions, no real straights).

BTW - Like that new signature you have there.

8)

vtluu
01-13-2005, 10:21 AM
I rechecked the heights (I was freezing my ass off last night when I checked ), and the front is 23 3/8" and the rear is 23.5. I was never really interested in lowering the car alot, just getting a better suspension. I don't know how much I dropped the car, I forgot to measure before putting the ohlins on.

I am using hypercoil springs front and rear with custom spring rates. How big are the springs that your using? I use a 10" spring in front, and a 8" spring in the rear.
Thanks Chris, I appreciate it. 8) I'm using the same spring sizes as you; the Eibachs I got with coilovers were 10" all around, but I swapped the heavier springs in back to the front and got new 8" Teins for the back.

Not to be secretive or dodgy about my spring rates, I'm running 500# (9 kg/mm) springs in the back and 450# (8 kg/mm) in front. Dampers are dialed 6 notches back from full in back, 7 in front.

Prior to making any suspension or tire changes we put the car on a surface plate and confirmed the factory dimensions from various points on the bottom of the frame and found they were all within factory specs. Our rim to fender measurement at that time was 24.25” in the front and 24.0” in the rear.
Thanks, sounds like you really did your homework. We got the same front height measurement (approximately) but I measured 23.0" in the back vs. your 24.0". That seems like a big difference and it's not like I had anything in the trunk or anything to weigh it down. Were my rear shocks/springs messed up to begin with?

I'll be interested to find out what other people measure...

dohcvtec
01-13-2005, 10:39 AM
just a quick tip on corner balancing where to go.
i called the place in mt. view (company name is slipping my mind right now) and they wanted $470 for corner balance + 4 wheel alignment. Roger Kraus in Castro Valley (used them before) charges ~$225 for the same service.

btw, which ohlins are you using?

vtluu
01-13-2005, 10:42 AM
just a quick tip on corner balancing where to go.
i called the place in mt. view (company name is slipping my mind right now) and they wanted $470 for corner balance + 4 wheel alignment. Roger Kraus in Castro Valley (used them before) charges ~$225 for the same service.

btw, which ohlins are you using?
Yeah, I got the same quote from Custom Alignment (Mountain View) and Roger Kraus. :D

The Ohlins I have are the "Road and Track" coilovers. http://www.ohlins.com/car_product_guide_road_and_track.shtml

I think the only other ones they have for the Evo 7/8 are the Group N coilovers ($$$).

turbotiger
01-13-2005, 11:05 AM
Got any pics of the coilover before it went into the car?

vtluu
01-13-2005, 11:13 AM
http://www.norcalevo.net/gallery/albums/album230/ohlins1.jpg

These are the Ohlins with the Ohlins springs. I have more photos and will be doing a full install write-up soon, as soon as I can upload photos to the gallery again...

turbotiger
01-13-2005, 11:29 AM
Looks like only the spring perch is adjustable and the shock body mount isn't. So why'd you choose the Ohlins coilover setup vs. everybody else?

RT
01-13-2005, 12:00 PM
Interesting, I’d bet there was nothing wrong at all. If most Evo owners are coming in at around 23.5” it might be that yours and ours are the extremes in either direction. We did have absolutely everything that would come out of the trunk area removed at that point, and I mean everything. Plus the fuel tank was almost empty, I remember having to get fuel that morning or I wasn’t goin’ to make it home.

That might be why yours looks so low Tam, you could be just a little lower than the rest of us to begin with.

8)

vtluu
01-13-2005, 12:06 PM
Looks like only the spring perch is adjustable and the shock body mount isn't. So why'd you choose the Ohlins coilover setup vs. everybody else?
Well, I was originally going to get the "Muellerized" JIC FLTA2s, but then Joe Harrison (joe250) told me to get the Ohlins, and then ChrisW told me to get the Ohlins, and they're both better autocrossers than me, so I figured I should actually listen for once. :lol:

Interesting, I’d bet there was nothing wrong at all. If most Evo owners are coming in at around 23.5” it might be that yours and ours are the extremes in either direction. We did have absolutely everything that would come out of the trunk area removed at that point, and I mean everything. Plus the fuel tank was almost empty, I remember having to get fuel that morning or I wasn’t goin’ to make it home.
Hmm, I don't remember exactly how much fuel I had in, but if I had a full tank (and I didn't have anything out of the trunk at that point), my car would have been over 100 lbs heavier than yours in back which would well have made most of that difference.

chrisw
01-13-2005, 12:21 PM
Not to be secretive or dodgy about my spring rates, I'm running 500# (9 kg/mm) springs in the back and 450# (8 kg/mm) in front. Dampers are dialed 6 notches back from full in back, 7 in front.

I run a 450f/525r 10 clicks all the way around, but I might back off a bit.

RT
01-13-2005, 01:25 PM
I think that’s a big part of it Tam. I just did a quick and dirty test by placing my tool box (about 60 lbs.) in the trunk and the rear measurement dropped a good 5/16”. I still have the stock springs on the car.

8)

vtluu
01-13-2005, 11:44 PM
Raised the rear by 19 mm (3/4") tonight and the car looks much more reasonable now.

Anybody else take some stock ride height measurements? And if you do, please note roughly your fuel tank level (and added weight in the trunk other than the usual spare tire & tools)... apparently that makes a big difference.

turbotiger
01-14-2005, 04:22 PM
Well, I was originally going to get the "Muellerized" JIC FLTA2s, but then Joe Harrison (joe250) told me to get the Ohlins, and then ChrisW told me to get the Ohlins, and they're both better autocrossers than me, so I figured I should actually listen for once. :lol:

Aaah, just looked at ChrisW's profile and remembered him from his DSM days before he defected over to the WRX side. Hi Chris! Good to see you're still autoxing and dealing the smack down on some of the newer folks.

chrisw
01-14-2005, 06:01 PM
hey man!...

I didn't recognize your handle, but I do recognize your car..

92 Plymouth Laser RS Turbo AWD

how's it going? are you going to come out to candlestick on of these days?