PDA

View Full Version : Wheel Security. What Do You Use/Recommend?

DirectorSe7en
06-02-2008, 02:11 AM
Now that I'll have rims I actually care about soon. I want to make sure I'm getting the best brand of wheel locks. So, what brand do you use or recommend? Or what other forms of protection is recommended?

.....not trying to wake up on milk-crates. :lol:

:shock:

mtsevovii
06-02-2008, 02:30 AM
get 5 sets of lugnuts, and only use the wheels locks. problem solved.

SavageEvo8
06-02-2008, 08:03 AM
or yu could use a lincoln lock, i mean wire welder. :) a couple beads should hold those things in place for you.

like mts said, the most you can really do is be excessive with the wheel locks and such, but the fact of it is, theres tools out there for removing stripped lugs/lugs without keys, so if someone wants those wheels bad enough, in reality theres nothing that can fully stop them.

byt
06-02-2008, 08:15 AM
a ninja

chrisw
06-02-2008, 08:20 AM
or yu could use a lincoln lock, i mean wire welder. :) a couple beads should hold those things in place for you.

like mts said, the most you can really do is be excessive with the wheel locks and such, but the fact of it is, theres tools out there for removing stripped lugs/lugs without keys, so if someone wants those wheels bad enough, in reality theres nothing that can fully stop them.

+1

also if you do alot of track days or autocross, those wheel locks can strip pretty easy (been there done that)

DirectorSe7en
06-02-2008, 10:47 AM
a ninja

I thought about that, but after realizing costs like food, ninja clothing, etc...He was a little out of my budget. :(

Any specific brand better then the other?

mtsevovii
06-02-2008, 11:10 AM

Any specific brand better then the other?

mix it up. that way itll be even more difficult for the thief.

DirectorSe7en
06-02-2008, 11:12 AM
Nice. ;)

SavageEvo8
06-02-2008, 11:26 AM
now thats thinking outside the box!! :)

dl_EVO
06-02-2008, 11:31 AM
Get an aftermarket 2-way pager alarm with tilt sensors and use wheel locks.

That's really all you can do, however like many others have posted that if they want your wheels bad enough they will get it. :(

PANGES
06-02-2008, 12:49 PM
Unfortunately, they sell universal tools that can remove any possible design of wheel lock. So in the end, it's probally kinda useless getting locks. Maybe just get an alarm w/ a tilt sensor is the best you can do. =/

awdaddict
06-02-2008, 12:55 PM
Try not to park at the same spot/area all the time.
It'll be easier for someone to steal your wheels because they know how long the car will be unattended for.

All of the suggestions mentioned are to prevent sub-par thieves.

earlyapex aka jack ass
06-02-2008, 12:59 PM

That sounds like the biggest pita ever.

mtsevovii
06-02-2008, 02:50 PM

hahaha but its JDM!

awdaddict
06-02-2008, 02:57 PM

hahaha but its JDM!

Just imagine that you misplaced 1 key...
You will be so JDM because you'll scream down the street like a crazy Japanese man.

turbotiger
06-02-2008, 06:54 PM
Good insurance. Seriously, get the wheels insured. Other than that, there's always easy ways to get the wheels off if somebody had half a brain.

JDMevoBOOST
06-03-2008, 11:28 AM
Normally anyone with half a brain that wants your wheels will just take the whole car. The idiots that sit there and jack your car up outside your house are not the ones with a brain. Therefore they wont have enough forethought to get the universal wheel lock remover.

So my thought would be to get something that is strong and durable like the Volk lugs.

Another thing i just thought about is to get locks and lugs that fill up the hole better. Often times these guys are using plyers and grips and to do that they need room to get a tool around the outside of the lug. The less room they have the better.

mtsevovii
06-03-2008, 11:34 AM
what about those center hubs race cars use. no more lug nuts.. just one giant one in the center... :lol:

dabaysevo
06-03-2008, 11:35 AM
A garage to park the car at night. I never leave my car outside, and if I do park it outside, it's always in sight. Other than that, a beater so haters can mess with that car all they want and I don't care if they do.

DirectorSe7en
06-03-2008, 12:10 PM
^True that.

So my thought would be to get something that is strong and durable like the Volk lugs.

Another thing i just thought about is to get locks and lugs that fill up the hole better. Often times these guys are using plyers and grips and to do that they need room to get a tool around the outside of the lug. The less room they have the better.

Are Volk locks considered "big" enough to fill the holes?

Evo Jai
06-06-2008, 12:27 AM

+2

Just get an alarm..