PDA

View Full Version : Strange rattle after shock/spring install (Evo)

Sol-leks
01-17-2005, 12:30 AM
Hello everyone. I posted this message on evom, but you guys have a great track record for helpful responses. :)

I know there are lots of messages about rattles/noises eminating from folks' shocks, but I'd like to post my particular situation is see if anyone would have an idea of what's happening.

I just came back from a purchase of another member's MR Bilstein stock shocks (w/ less than 800 miles on them) and Tanabe GF210 springs (w/ less than 400 miles on them). The install was done down in SoCal at a professional installation place (I'm back in NoCal now).

I notice that on some (not all) bumps or drops in the road, a rattle noise eminates from the left front (ie: driver's side) of the car. The sound is more noticeable when I'm driving on the highway (and I drive over some uneven surfaces on the road or I drive on the bumps separating lanes). If I go over a speed bump, I don't notice the sound. I'm thinking it's from the shock/spring assembly, since the sound's coming from there and there was no sound before the install (when I was using my stock '03 evo shock/springs).

What could be the cause of this noise (and should I worry about it)? Is it an install issue or a part issue? I can't bring the car back to the installer now since I'm 400 miles away.

Thanks!

Sam

DRFTR8
01-17-2005, 09:55 AM
recheck your springs.. you could have something not aligned right, like the top bushing on your spring not sitting correctly. or the person who installed the spring didnt install the anti-squeek tube that you place on the ends of the springs.

Sol-leks
01-17-2005, 02:12 PM
Still haven't figured out the cause of the problem, but I brought my car to AutoInnovations and talked to Orlando, and he spent the lunch hour looking at my car (thanks!) . He noticed that the camber bolts we both installed on the right side, while the regular bolts were installed on the left. He's not sure if this is the cause of the problem, but the installation was not performed according to spec. I've placed a call w/ the SoCal installer and am awaiting his response. Swapping one of the camber bolts back to the left would require a re-allignment. This install is becoming quite expensive! :(

BTW, Orlando tells me the sound's more of a rattle.

Sam

vtluu
01-17-2005, 02:41 PM
I had a slight rattle from my FL strut the day after I installed it, and throughout the day it got worse until every slightest bump I'd roll over would cause it to rattle. I asked Pete (of WORKS) about it when I met him that day, and he said to the check the nut holding the strut to the upper mount. I did and sure enough, it wasn't tightened enough. :shock: Tightened it and the rattle was gone. Whew!

I still get tiny squeaks rolling over over bigger bumps but I figure it isn't a problem.

I run with the bolts in the "more negative camber" position. Car gets aligned tomorrow...

brwnrice
01-17-2005, 04:25 PM
I had a slight rattle from my FL strut the day after I installed it, and throughout the day it got worse until every slightest bump I'd roll over would cause it to rattle. I asked Pete (of WORKS) about it when I met him that day, and he said to the check the nut holding the strut to the upper mount. I did and sure enough, it wasn't tightened enough. :shock: Tightened it and the rattle was gone. Whew!

I still get tiny squeaks rolling over over bigger bumps but I figure it isn't a problem.

I run with the bolts in the "more negative camber" position. Car gets aligned tomorrow...

most people running coilovers have those "squeaks".

vtluu
01-17-2005, 04:30 PM
most people running coilovers have those "squeaks".
Thanks, as I said I figured it wasn't a problem. Or rather, that's how I know they're working! :lol:

Sol-leks
01-21-2005, 03:37 AM
Went to WORKS today and had the camber bolts put back into the correct locations. WORKS looked at the left front strut assembly and didn't find a probable source of the problem. However, the rattle still exists.

I'm finding that it's more noticealbe on small bumps on the highway, especially if I drive over the bumps on the lane divider.

Any ideas on what else could be causing this rattling? Could it be the shock itself?

Sam

brwnrice
01-21-2005, 08:05 AM
sam, could it be some exhaus component hitting the frame of the car? what about a stray bolt or a rock that is trapped inside the under tray?

cerebus
01-23-2005, 10:53 PM
Hi Sam:
This is Eric, met you at Works yesterday. Here's a wild idea. Is it possible the spring is too short? So there could be a little play that would allow the spring to move around? This came to mind because I remember reading something about needing springs long enough so that when the shock is in full extension, it doesn't become loose. However, it doesn't seem like you're anywhere's close to a full extension when you hear the noise, since it happens going over lane dots. And come to think of it, you'd hear it on both sides. Oh well...

Good luck!

vtluu
01-24-2005, 12:56 AM
This came to mind because I remember reading something about needing springs long enough so that when the shock is in full extension, it doesn't become loose. However, it doesn't seem like you're anywhere's close to a full extension when you hear the noise, since it happens going over lane dots.
My springs are loose like that (it's the only way I have of dropping the ride height) and I don't have any problems, since normally suspension is compressed and the springs are well-seated. There are a few situations where the suspension can become fully extended--jumps for example--but on the street they're few and far between (I hope ;)).

If having too much slack on the spring is a problem, you can use helper springs (very soft short springs) on top of the the regular springs to keep some load on the springs all the time.