PDA

View Full Version : First track day with my Evo

Dr. Evo
01-18-2005, 07:07 PM
Well, after 1 year I finally let the "8" out to let her stretch her legs. I ran at Buttonwillow with Racerfactory.com this weekend. First off--props to the Racer Factory and Speedventures teams for putting on a stellar weekend. Well, for my first time EVER on a track, I think I ran ok. We ran the full circuit clockwise, with the Bus Stop, Magic Mountain, and the Sweeper on Saturday, and Star Mazda on Sunday (morning) and Sweeper again in the afternoon. My best time was 2:17.443 (sweeper), 2:23.256 (Mazda). We only made 1 session around Mazda but mud was covering the turn after an Intermediate session, so they reverted to the sweeper. I ended up putting in the fastest time in the "student" class, ahead of a few guys who had track experience, and faster times than most of the intermediate class :D . Needless to say I am HOOKED! If it wasn't for the fact that I wore through 60% of my *new* RA-1's I would be going back out this weekend. Anyway, I had a blast. And to everyone who hasn't yet, but is thinkg about, tracking their car---DO IT! DO IT!

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v600/evoracer/3.jpg
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v600/evoracer/1.jpg
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v600/evoracer/2.jpg

mrprotocols
01-18-2005, 07:12 PM
nice.. I am thinking of going there in March on my bike =).. Hopfully I will do my first auto track day around april =)...

wilson1
01-18-2005, 07:32 PM
Great that you got some track time, better than most of the guys up in norcal. Doesn't matter if you have the quickest time or not, just enjoy the experience. This track thingy is super addictive, even Tam the Man is almost giving up his autoX career for tracking instead.

Guess Tam really said it best " a trackday have more drive time than his whole auto X season ! "

:wink:

Richard EVO
01-18-2005, 09:00 PM
You did great. I have done lots of track days in the past year, and you beat my best time last weekend at Buttonwillow by about 4 seconds.

Dr. Evo
01-18-2005, 09:31 PM
It was very fun. Also it was nice to meet you Richard.

garrick70
01-18-2005, 09:38 PM
Iwant Great Pics! I cannot wait for my track weekend with NCRC in February!! :D

vtluu
01-19-2005, 12:20 AM
No wonder you had the fastest time, if your fellow drivers were running in beater Jettas. :lol: j/k

You coming out on 2/26-27 NCRC@Thunderhill?

Richard EVO
01-19-2005, 01:25 AM
The competition at Buttonwillow consisted of Radical, 996, Z06, STi, S2000, S4, Boxster, 350Z, etc., etc. My friend Dr. EVO had the misfortune of being photographed with an old VW. That was not representative of the competition.

Dr. Evo
01-19-2005, 04:42 PM
That damn Jetta held me up for about 3/4 of the course, since we had restricted passing :(

vtluu
01-19-2005, 04:44 PM
That damn Jetta held me up for about 3/4 of the course, since we had restricted passing :(
So after you finally passed him... did you lap him? 8)

leif
01-19-2005, 05:48 PM
like wilson said...better than most ppl on this forum. i guess having $3k suspension is only good for taking freeway off ramps and winning shows around here.

im getting my car ready for track season, shuda done it over winter but o well. see you guys out there.

Dr. Evo
01-19-2005, 07:44 PM
Suspension mods are not neccessary for the track to go out and have fun. Really, neither are HP mods. All I have done is a TBE. As far as brakes, I have SS lines and ran Porterfield R4-S pads, with Ate Super Blue fluid. RA-1's completed my mods. And I ran pretty well, and definately had a blast.

smack
01-19-2005, 09:18 PM
like wilson said...better than most ppl on this forum. i guess having $3k suspension is only good for taking freeway off ramps and winning shows around here.

hey, watch it now...:lol: