PDA

View Full Version : wobbly ride after some work done on the car?

Sol-leks
01-25-2005, 02:42 AM
After reading a lot of online tutorials on how to change my evo brakes, I decided to change the brakes on my own. Not only that, I decided to swap out my tires/wheels with some Advan/Enkei's that I bought off another evo owner (~ 75% tread).

When I started driving, I noticed that the ride seemed wobbly, like it was pulling left and ride, riding the undulations of the road. After a few miles of this, I pulled over and checked the wheels, and I found that I had only hand-tightened the left rear wheel's lug nuts (doh). So I tightened these.

This morning, I dropped by the dealer and told them that my car was still wobbly, and they noticed that my tire pressure was way too high (my air pump's pressure gauge must be way off) so they brought the air pressure back to spec. They also noticed that my car was out of alignment so they aligned my car (at relatively great cost, I might add. :( ).

On the drive back, I noticed that the car was still wobbly, wandering here and there unless I put a firm grip to the wheel. The steering feels heavy initally in a slight turn but then somewhat quickly follows the turn. A tech test drove it but said he felt it rides like stock. I don't think so.. it feels like I driving a self-powered vacuum machine.

Anyway, any thoughts on what's wrong? Could it be the wheels, tires, or setup?

Thanks!

Sam

xchoirboy
01-25-2005, 07:02 AM
after changing the brake pads did you bed them. maybe your rotors need to be turned after you installed the new pads. just my .02.

evo_dadi
01-25-2005, 07:48 AM
tell the tech to drive it slow on a straightaway usually with a bad alignment the steering wheel would turn to the side.have you tried getting another opinion from another dealership or a tire place?

warpspeed
01-25-2005, 10:06 AM
I would put back you old tire/wheel set up and see if there is something wrong with the wheels you bought from the other member. The rims you bought might be out off balance and should take it to a shop to rebalance them.

turbotiger
01-25-2005, 11:49 AM
Car wandering down the road sounds like an alignment issue still. Maybe too much toe out. If the car or steering wheel vibrates at speed, it's probably the wheels need to be rebalanced. Also could be a alignment issue as well.

Sol-leks
01-26-2005, 03:41 PM
Went back to my old wheels/tires and the problem seemed to have gone away. So I'm guessing it's either the wheels, tires, or how their put together (eg: balance). When I was rolling the wheels/tires around the garage on their own, they seemed to be pretty wobbly.

Sam

EVO GRIM
01-26-2005, 05:37 PM
Maybe somebody sold you a slightly bent rim?

Sol-leks
01-26-2005, 06:15 PM
How would I check if it's bent? Could I do that myself?

Sam

EVO GRIM
01-26-2005, 10:25 PM
Get them ballanced. If the tech says he couldn't ballance them then there may be a prob