PDA

View Full Version : Hard to engage 2nd gear when shifting near rev limit?

vtluu
01-25-2005, 11:55 AM
Does anybody else find it hard to shift the car into 2nd gear when you're close to the rev limit? Normally my gearshift is a bit notchy but otherwise engages pretty easy, but I find that at auto-x I really just have to jam it into 2nd, I can't just ease the stick into gear as I would normally. Doesn't grind or anything, just seems like I have to give the stick a little extra "shove" to get it into gear. I have the Kartboy shifter bushings; am considering a short-shifter but I don't want to make it harder to get into gear if it's like this already.

Whooopasss
01-25-2005, 11:58 AM
Had the same problem before till I changed my tranny oil to GM schyncro shift (non synthetic).

brwnrice
01-25-2005, 11:59 AM
i have that problem even when i changed the tranny oil with redline.

vtluu
01-25-2005, 12:01 PM
I think chrisw was having the same issue too. Maybe that's just the way it is? I have Redline MT90 in the tranny, OEM fluid in the TC.

EvoVIII
01-25-2005, 07:30 PM
did u try to put 2 MT-90 and 1 bottle of 75-90?? it works pertty good on mine a lot better then b4

vtluu
01-25-2005, 07:34 PM
did u try to put 2 MT-90 and 1 bottle of 75-90?? it works pertty good on mine a lot better then b4
Yeah, actually now that you mention it, that's what I have in there.

EvoVIII
01-25-2005, 07:39 PM
hmmm..... maybe then is time for u to get a Trannsmission rebuild

lancerboy
01-25-2005, 07:44 PM
once in a while i get that notchy feel too when shifting to 2nd.

evo_dadi
01-25-2005, 07:54 PM
hmmm..... maybe then is time for u to get a Trannsmission rebuild

cmon doug now thats over doing that a bit now :wink: :P

i have the same issue on high rpm shifting but not all the time.

evoredy
01-25-2005, 08:34 PM
i think there might be 3 solutions to this (at least what I have experienced) assuming the fluid level and type are up to spec.

1) try to push the clutch in a little bit more for second

2) adjust your driving style and shift into second a little slower before the turn

3) remove the clutch restrictor? rev-match more 'perfectly' for that rpm/speed combo? make sure you're pulling in the right direction for that fast-paced first to second shift? :wink:

anyone else? that nasty second'll get you in the most unforgiving situations. i think fourth does the same after about 70K :lol:

chrisw
01-25-2005, 08:51 PM
I think chrisw was having the same issue too. Maybe that's just the way it is? I have Redline MT90 in the tranny, OEM fluid in the TC.

That was from the redline 75w90 that was put in the tranny. After I switched to the MT-90 the problems went away.

What you might be experiancing is the engine twisting in the mounts under load. Nothing that is dangerous, but there is enough flex in the stock engine mounts to allow for a fair amount of engine movement. This is probably causing the shift cables to bind a little.

I solved most of that problem when I installed the engine dampener. There is so much flex in the stock mounts that I have actually bent the mont of the dampener :shock: That is one of my projects for this year: to make a stronger dampener mount....

also, If you clutch is slipping, or otherwise not operating properly, that could cause some of the problem too

559EVO
01-25-2005, 09:36 PM
me and my friend both had the same problem and we figured out that once your in redline in 1st it wont let you shift it into 2nd till the revs drop.If you shift a lil sooner it shouldint happen.

ace33joe
01-25-2005, 10:33 PM
My gear shift got better after I changed the fluid from MT-90 to MT-90/MTL mix. I guess MT-90 is pretty thick oil, and it made my shift notchier. I think still MT-90/MTL 50/50 mix is quite thick as 75W85.

But I guess thicker oil is better for gear protection?

I bought 3 bottles of Castrol SMX-S synthetic 75W85 GL-4 oil when I was back home during Christmas break, so I will test whether this thinner side of 75W85 oil can improve shifting or not.

ace33joe
01-25-2005, 10:35 PM
What you might be experiancing is the engine twisting in the mounts under load. Nothing that is dangerous, but there is enough flex in the stock engine mounts to allow for a fair amount of engine movement. This is probably causing the shift cables to bind a little.

I solved most of that problem when I installed the engine dampener. There is so much flex in the stock mounts that I have actually bent the mont of the dampener :shock: That is one of my projects for this year: to make a stronger dampener mount....

also, If you clutch is slipping, or otherwise not operating properly, that could cause some of the problem too

One of my friend actually broke stock engine mount bushing, and he got Energysuspension stiffer bushing. Maybe you can get stiffer bushings for your engine mount to save your dampener?

vtluu
01-25-2005, 11:19 PM
My gear shift got better after I changed the fluid from MT-90 to MT-90/MTL mix. I guess MT-90 is pretty thick oil, and it made my shift notchier. I think still MT-90/MTL 50/50 mix is quite thick as 75W85.
My bad, I'm using a 2:1 MT90/MTL mix. Anyway it sounds like I'm not the only one with this problem... I'm not sure an engine damper is the right solution (Chris are you using the Weapon-R one? :?)... What are the disadvantages of using stiffer bushings? (I don't mind a little more discomfort; it's damage to the car I'm more worried about.)

LEVIII
01-25-2005, 11:40 PM
I also had this proble, whenever I tried the 1-2 at redline it would grind and miss. Now I shift 2 to 300 before redline for 1-2 then Im good from there on out.

vtluu
01-26-2005, 12:20 AM
Normally that's not a problem, but when you're blasting out of the start on an auto-x course, often you have to turn before you make the shift so you can't necessarily choose to shift early (you can't shift in the middle of the turn because it can upset the car), so the engine is turning at close to the rev limit by the time you can shift.

EhvOhlOOshUn
01-26-2005, 01:17 AM
i had the same problem on sunday when i was at cmi... i couldnt get it into second gear when i was shifting at 7500 and i had to try 3-4 times before it finally went it so i only hit 13.7 i was kinda dissapointed because i never had that problem before shifting at 7k... i guess ill try shifting sooner from 1st to 2nd...

Erwin

brwnrice
01-26-2005, 07:48 AM

yes i did. when i first changed the tc, tranny, and rear diff oil to redline i felt a significant improvement but you can still feel the hard engagement.

GokuSSJ4
01-26-2005, 09:50 AM
i think there might be 3 solutions to this (at least what I have experienced) assuming the fluid level and type are up to spec.

1) try to push the clutch in a little bit more for second

2) adjust your driving style and shift into second a little slower before the turn

3) remove the clutch restrictor? rev-match more 'perfectly' for that rpm/speed combo? make sure you're pulling in the right direction for that fast-paced first to second shift? :wink:

anyone else? that nasty second'll get you in the most unforgiving situations. i think fourth does the same after about 70K :lol:

# 2 fixes it , try shift into second a bit slower before the turn or dont try to speed shift into it. Same thing with 4th gear, a couple of friends were having the same issue in 4th gear at the track. Just take your time and dont try to force it. Specially when speed shifting you get this type of issue

GokuSSJ4
01-26-2005, 09:53 AM

One of my friend actually broke stock engine mount bushing, and he got Energysuspension stiffer bushing. Maybe you can get stiffer bushings for your engine mount to save your dampener?

stronger engine & tranny mounts should take care of the problem, even if energy suspension makes inserts (you can look at that as an option).
Im sure with all the TQ the engine is making, compare to stock it can become an issue.

chrisw
01-26-2005, 11:18 AM
I have been looking for stiffer engine mounts, where can I get the engergy suspension engine mounts?

GokuSSJ4
01-26-2005, 12:07 PM
I have been looking for stiffer engine mounts, where can I get the engergy suspension engine mounts?

i wonder if hasport can make or will make solid engine mounts. i might give them a call (just in case) maybe even get a group buy going if they decide to make solid mounts. The only bad side when you have stiffer mounts or inserts is that the car shakes abit more at idle (but no biggie)
Im not sure if Energy Suspension has come out with anything for the evo, specially when increasing hp beyond factory specs , mounts can be affected by it. This was a huge issue with honda's since they came with motors near 96hp and by doing a swap and beefing up a motor you can have a 120hp increase, having the mounts bust when drag racing. so a solid mount or inserts would help the keep the motor from flexing due to all the TQ and increase in hp.

vtluu
01-26-2005, 12:13 PM
Nowhere, I think; their web page lists motor mount inserts for DSMs, but not for the Evo: http://www.energysuspension.com/pages/mit.html

turbotiger
01-26-2005, 12:33 PM
You can try the shock absorber thing for the engine. If you still need more, there's the el ghetto window weld in the mount option to create a stiffer mount. Until someone releases some inserts or stiffer mounts.

Speaking of which, anyone actually look at the stock mount and is there a whole lot of empty space in there?

vtluu
01-26-2005, 12:39 PM
You can try the shock absorber thing for the engine. If you still need more, there's the el ghetto window weld in the mount option to create a stiffer mount. Until someone releases some inserts or stiffer mounts.
You mean the WeaponRice damper? He has that already.

This seems to be what we're looking for: http://www.topendmotorsports.com/engine/motorswaps/mounts/enjo/mitsubishi/
http://www.topendmotorsports.com/engine/motorswaps/mounts/enjo/mitsubishi/enjo_motormounts.jpg

Not sure it's available yet though...

MarkSAE
01-26-2005, 12:46 PM
I don't see how having stiffer engine mounts is going to help your shifting problem. Have you tried adjusting your clutch pedal? I used to have the same problem you described until I removed my clutch restrictor. Also add a SS clutch line while you're at it. While my shifting isn't always smooth when shifting at redline, it never grinds.

ace33joe
01-26-2005, 01:32 PM
Nowhere, I think; their web page lists motor mount inserts for DSMs, but not for the Evo: http://www.energysuspension.com/pages/mit.html

Sorry, It seems he gave me a wrong company name. It's Deyeme racing polyurethane mount. Here is the article about his EVO.

Cached at google version:

http://66.102.7.104/search?q=cache:D_Mq1ko9D0UJ:www.urbanracer.com/articles/anmviewer.asp%3Fa%3D1203+lancer+evo+engine+mount+p olyurethane&hl=en

Or original article:

http://www.urbanracer.com/articles/anmviewer.asp?a=1203

Hope this helps.

vtluu
01-26-2005, 04:34 PM
I see drivetrain mounts for "2002-2004 Lancer" at Deyeme's product page: http://www.deyemeracing.com/products.asp

But nothing specifically for the Evo (or do they really mean Evo?). I'll E-mail them and find out...

ace33joe
01-26-2005, 06:11 PM
It seems my reply was not very helpful. :(

My friend let some tuner do the job, so he didn't really know what's in his car.

I guess there should be some vendors who sell polyurethane mounts for EVO? or Our 4G63 engine mounts are actually compatible with DSMs?

vtluu
01-27-2005, 10:22 AM
I see drivetrain mounts for "2002-2004 Lancer" at Deyeme's product page: http://www.deyemeracing.com/products.asp

But nothing specifically for the Evo (or do they really mean Evo?). I'll E-mail them and find out...
Nope, the mounts are for the Lancer, not the Evo. :( The search continues... The Evo7 has been around for a while so I'm sure you could find something like this from overseas...

ace33joe
01-27-2005, 03:09 PM
Interesting suggestion I found at Evom.

It seems hard shift is a manufacturing problem of the tranny according to Teamrip? It seems they rebuild & repair trannies, and install LSDs. They also claim noisy tranny will fail. I thought the decel noises are normal to EVO trannies, but it's actually because it was made wrong at the factory? :?

Try this website, and please let me know your opinions! Thanks!

www.teamrip.com

vtluu
01-27-2005, 05:26 PM
If it's a manufacturing problem it should be covered by warranty. Though with the WORKS clutch in there ("stealth" model; can they tell?) I wonder if I'm SOL when it comes to warranty on the tranny.

That "TRE spec" tranny looks tempting... Better start saving up my pennies. ;)

And damn, they have a RalliArt LSD? Should've gotten that instead of still waiting for the RRE/Quaife unit. :roll: