PDA

View Full Version : Edmunds does it again! FULL TEST: 2009 Mitsubishi Lancer Ralliart

xbox4414
06-23-2008, 01:11 AM
Last one was a first drive....now they have done the whole thing.

Full review here:
http://www.edmunds.com/insideline/do/Drives/FullTests/articleId=127586?tid=edmunds.il.home.photopanel..1 .*

Bottom Line:
If you can't manage the price of an Evo GSR, the Ralliart will take you more than halfway there for about $6,000 less.

Personally I love this new Ralliart and I can't wait to see them on the street and coming to meets and stuff. I'm glad Mitsu gave the car this power, price and looks.

whtrice
06-23-2008, 05:30 AM
Wow...It's still 3500 lbs. :(

earlyapex aka jack ass
06-23-2008, 10:03 AM
I'm actually surprised it doesn't weigh more since it doesn't have any aluminum suspension bits.

I'm still perplexed about the pricing. I think if they put the 5spd in there and brought the cost down to 24-25k it would be much more attractive.

nebolic
06-23-2008, 10:06 AM
if they're right and it's pushing close to 30k, I don't see many people purchasing this.

nebo

whtrice
06-23-2008, 10:16 AM
What are they thinking ?..Mitsu execs must have bumped heads all at the same time..Huh...Bryan?

if they're right and it's pushing close to 30k, I don't see many people purchasing this.

nebo

DirectorSe7en
06-23-2008, 10:36 AM
^Drive the SST and then you'll see what all the rage is about. Until then you can't really judge Mitsu for not releasing a 5-Speed.

$30k Fully Loaded is a good price to me. Not the best, but fair.

whtrice
06-23-2008, 10:39 AM
^^^ From a price perspective I can judge all I want. It is apparent..not judgemental.

earlyapex aka jack ass
06-23-2008, 10:40 AM
^Drive the SST and then you'll see what all the rage is about. Until then you can't really judge Mitsu for not releasing a 5-Speed.

I don't think the SST is going to save this. I could be wrong. At the end of the day, to the general car buyer, it's a Lancer with some evo parts that costs not much less than an Evo.

If Mitsu did this to increase Evo sales, then it will probably be a winner. People will come in looking and realize what's another couple grand when financing, and get the Evo instead.

DirectorSe7en
06-23-2008, 10:43 AM
If Mitsu did this to increase Evo sales, then it will probably be a winner. People will come in looking and realize what's another couple grand when financing, and get the Evo instead.

Yup. That's why if they are trying to sell these, a fully loaded Ralliart at $30k is a good price. Considering you'd have to spend $37k for a fully loaded GSR.

earlyapex aka jack ass
06-23-2008, 10:50 AM

Yup. That's why if they are trying to sell these, a fully loaded Ralliart at $30k is a good price. Considering you'd have to spend $37k for a fully loaded GSR.

Yes but what does a "fully loaded" RA get you? Recaros and the higher end stereo? Recaros come standard on the Evo. Plus you get 60hp more standard, a bunch more torque, a much better handling car, etc.

I can see this also helping the GTS sales as well. To the average performance buyer, the GTS probably doesn't feel that much off performance handling wise than the RA.

DirectorSe7en
06-23-2008, 10:57 AM
Yes but what does a "fully loaded" RA get you? Recaros and the higher end stereo? Recaros come standard on the Evo. Plus you get 60hp more standard, a bunch more torque, a much better handling car, etc.

I can see this also helping the GTS sales as well. To the average performance buyer, the GTS probably doesn't feel that much off performance handling wise than the RA.

Ralliart Loaded @ $30k:
Recaros
HID's
Navi
FASTkey

GSR Base @ $33k:
Recaros
Brembos
Better Handling
No HID's
No Navi
No FASTkey

I think the average person is more likely to desire cosmetic features over Brembos and handling. Unless your needs include what the RA doesn't offer. But in that scenario, you probably weren't looking into a Lancer anyway.

leaveit2bevo
06-23-2008, 11:00 AM
ya at 30k these deff arent going to be eating into evo x sales, I still think sane people will buy a used evo IX for the same price as this and get a much better platform to start.

earlyapex aka jack ass
06-23-2008, 11:01 AM
You left out the 60hp more, AYC, wheels, better tires, etc etc

DirectorSe7en
06-23-2008, 11:03 AM
You left out the 60hp more, AYC, wheels, better tires, etc etc

I kinda included it vaguely in "Better handling".

And 60 more hp shouldn't be a huge selling point as that can be had for less then $3k in the aftermarket.

earlyapex aka jack ass
06-23-2008, 11:04 AM
And 60 more hp shouldn't be a huge selling point as that can be had for less then $3k in the aftermarket.

If you are going to start bringing that into the equation, you can get 60whp more out of the base evo for $600.

If the RA had just a 5spd instead of SST, would you be defending it as much?

DirectorSe7en
06-23-2008, 11:36 AM
If the RA had just a 5spd instead of SST, would you be defending it as much?

I'm not defending the RA because of SST. I'm saying it's a better choice (depending on needs) if it's close to the GSR in price when fully loaded.

nebolic
06-23-2008, 12:27 PM
The RA also has a different chassis material than the EVO. I think the RA only has the aluminum hood from the EVO. The chassis is not as stiff.

nebo

dabaysevo
06-23-2008, 01:08 PM
I still think they should have put a 5spd in it like the WRXs, and offered a regular automatic for people that don't like to shift.

AreSTG
06-23-2008, 02:25 PM
The RA also has a different chassis material than the EVO.Â* I think the RA only has the aluminum hood from the EVO.Â* The chassis is not as stiff.

nebo

but at the same time, the Evo X was like twice as rigid at the evo 8/9. i dont remember exactly, there were two different things, rigidity and somethign else too the same affect

ZK
06-23-2008, 03:20 PM
I don't like it... the idea of a mini-Evo is good but that car doesn't hit the sweet spot. It doesn't look good at all.

I don't think people shopping in this price range will get this car. It's not inexpensive enough to hit the "tooner" market and it is too pricey for someone shopping for an Evo. And like all Mitsubishi products - it doesn't have mass market appeal.

chefnevo
06-23-2008, 03:26 PM
meh....a real disappointment, I agree with ZK just couldn't hit the g-spot with this one.

sulpe
06-25-2008, 11:19 PM
+1
They should have put the manual and kept the price lower. I was waiting for the RA to come out but not anymore

EFIxMR
06-26-2008, 09:16 PM
This car makes little sense to me.

06IXMR
06-26-2008, 09:24 PM
There goes my DD down the drain, I don't feel like driving a auto around all the time anymore.. then again its a DD

nightwalker
06-28-2008, 09:02 PM
From what I understand, the Ralliart doesn't have the multilink rear suspension. It has a basic trailing arm setup. That to me is a deal breaker.

EuGeNiLe
06-30-2008, 07:40 PM
+1 on them having this in 5speed MT. If they are trying to attract these boy racers from going mitsu instead of subaru, they will turn away as soon as they find out its only offered in AT. yea there will be a handful who will like this sst paddle shifter thing, but its a very specific group... maybe a majority of them on norcalevo :)

typhoon 28
08-17-2008, 01:21 PM
I'm actually surprised it doesn't weigh more since it doesn't have any aluminum suspension bits.

I'm still perplexed about the pricing. I think if they put the 5spd in there and brought the cost down to 24-25k it would be much more attractive.

I agree with you dude, & could not justify not paying off my 8 to trade in for that

ljcabrera
09-17-2008, 05:00 PM
IMO the lack of the 5 speed is to keep the evo on the top of the heap in terms of performance. You could put $ into the RA but the RA version of the SST's programming will keep it held back to the point where you might as well have bought an evo