PDA

View Full Version : New to the forum

nx_rick
01-29-2004, 04:35 PM
Hi, new to the forum. Just got my evo last sunday. See you around...

vtluu
01-29-2004, 04:38 PM
Hi Rick, congratulations on the new car and welcome to NorCalEvo.net!

JanSolo
01-29-2004, 04:39 PM
Welcome to NorCalEvo. Now the requisite questions..

What color is it?
Where did you buy it from?
Where do you live?
Going to do any mods or just learn to drive it well first?

BluEvo
01-29-2004, 04:42 PM
Sup man. Congrats on your new ride! Is it all that u hoped and dreamed for?

nx_rick
01-29-2004, 04:54 PM
Thanks for the welcome guys...

JanSolo
1. Weightless White
2. Hayward Mitsubishi
3. Just updated my profile
4. A little. Exhaust, TT, suspension, etc.

BluEvo, yeah, I was torn between evo and sti. I did not test drive the sti but I drove my friend's evo and it really impressed me. Also, the evo is less expensive and easier to get a deal with the dealer.

Any suggestion for the newbie?

warpspeed
01-29-2004, 05:02 PM
Hello Rick, welcome to the family. Everybody here in this site will do there best to help out a fellow member. Remember, don't go crazy with the car first, meaning, know how the car responds to your type of driving, because the first week I had my Evo it was a learning experience.

nebolic
01-29-2004, 05:03 PM
yeah break in the car nicely and it'll treat you good, i didnt follow the break in procedure.. eeek sort redlined it a few times but what the heck, the motor is still running strong.

nx_rick
01-29-2004, 05:09 PM
I am trying to break the car in as gentle as I can. However, knowing the car has a lot of fun above 3k rpm, it's really hard to be gentle. I am pretty sure all of you feel the same when you got your new car.

howiEVO8
01-29-2004, 05:10 PM
I am trying to break the car in as gentle as I can. However, knowing the car has a lot of fun above 3k rpm, it's really hard to be gentle. I am pretty sure all of you feel the same when you got your new car.

yeah, i did...but just keep telling urself if you rev too high you'll jack it up

BluEvo
01-29-2004, 05:13 PM
i agree with the rest. give it a good break in. i know that it's tempting to just go and stomp the pedal. truthfully....who didn't when they got it. but n e way, break it in properly and do get the oil change before the 5k like the manual says. personaly i say do it betrween 2-3k miles. have fun with it.

nx_rick
01-29-2004, 05:14 PM
By the way, here's a ? When you get your new evo, do you smell that burning smell? It's more evident when the car is warm and standing still (like waiting a traffic light) I know it's normal to have a little but it's kinda strong. Maybe I am just paranoid...

howiEVO8
01-29-2004, 05:15 PM
the other thing you shouldve done was test drive a different color evo, reved the hell out of that sucker and when ur ready to purchase tell the salesman, you'll take the car, but you want a different color! haha

nx_rick
01-29-2004, 05:18 PM
the other thing you shouldve done was test drive a different color evo, reved the hell out of that sucker and when ur ready to purchase tell the salesman, you'll take the car, but you want a different color! haha

They wouldn't let me test drove the car.

warpspeed
01-29-2004, 05:22 PM
You bought the car without test driving it? That's kinda funny. Well actually one of the dealership that I went to wasn't so eager for a test drive also(probably the way I was dressed) so I went to another one.

howiEVO8
01-29-2004, 05:23 PM

They wouldn't let me test drove the car.

oh wow, really? the guy was eager to pass me the keys, and i didn't even tell him i was gonna buy it for sure hehe

warpspeed
01-29-2004, 05:25 PM
I think some salesman want to get out of the building so his boss might think a "sale" is going to happen.

BluEvo
01-29-2004, 05:43 PM
By the way, here's a ? When you get your new evo, do you smell that burning smell? It's more evident when the car is warm and standing still (like waiting a traffic light) I know it's normal to have a little but it's kinda strong. Maybe I am just paranoid...

i noticed a burning smell when i drove it home for the first time. my car was still wrapped in all the plastics in the back of the dealership. it had never been driven out of the lot. i figured it was the oils and fluids that had just circulated throughout the engine burning off for the first time. Or that smell could be your clutch?

warpspeed
01-29-2004, 05:49 PM
Just call it the breaking in/burning in smell. Most likely is just the parts breaking in themselves. Nothing to worry about.

DR_EVIL
01-29-2004, 06:18 PM
welcome aboard man. break the car in right & you will enjoy it. keep us updated

nebolic
01-29-2004, 06:35 PM
you smell the burning smell cuz its brand spanking new. when i just put my new HKS exhaust on, it smelt like crap, burnt smell, its just cuz its new, dont worry.

howiEVO8
01-29-2004, 06:49 PM
driving off the dealers lot for the first time was such an awesome moment for me rawr!

chris
01-30-2004, 02:06 AM
i guess i was late welcoming. but anyways welcome the forums. congrats on ur car =D

howiEVO8
01-30-2004, 05:30 AM
we should be seeing some new members soon i put some cards on a few new evos in my area hehe

xchoirboy
01-30-2004, 07:52 AM
Welcome ... Are you coming out to the next meet?

RonV
01-30-2004, 10:38 AM
My car has 1,200 miles on it and it still has a hint of that warmed up stinkness. The engine and drive line are coated with some sort of light oil from the factory. It's on everything under the hood. Anyone else notice this stuff? I'm positive that this is the source of the smell. It smells amost like an electrical burning type thing. I'm a new Evo also.

Save you TT money and put it towards an XFLASH. Ask xchoirboy. He beat my stock Xflash record dammit!!!! :P

warpspeed
01-30-2004, 10:46 AM
I think that coating you are talking about is something to protect parts of the car during transport. Eventually it will come off.

JanSolo
01-30-2004, 10:49 AM
[quote="nx_rick"] I'm a new Evo also.

Welcome, Ron. Hopefully you will be at our next Evo meet.

DB8GSR
01-30-2004, 11:46 AM
I think that coating you are talking about is something to protect parts of the car during transport. Eventually it will come off.

Hell yah... they should make a cologne for our cars to always smell new. From the outside, to inside.. I love the smell of a new car... *sniff* *sniff* :D

warpspeed
01-30-2004, 12:13 PM
My new car smell is gone. I should have stop eating those burritos in the car. lol

BluEvo
01-30-2004, 12:34 PM
i got me one of those 20HP+ AirSpencer (hyperformance air freshners) for a christmas gift. LOL! I just put in and i do say it smells pretty damn good. I don't think i'd buy it for myself though.

ob4
01-30-2004, 04:27 PM
hay rick, when r u going to drop by with your new car?

nx_rick
01-30-2004, 04:41 PM
ob4, Either you can drop by my place or I will go to yours this Sunday if you want to. It's embarrassing to show you the car now since it's so dirty from the rain :oops: . By the way, the antenna should be here next week but I will be gone for LA next weekend (Feb. 7). Maybe we can get together the weekend after. Hopefully I will have my tt by that time :P

vtluu
01-30-2004, 07:39 PM
It's embarrassing to show you the car now since it's so dirty from the rain :oops:
Nonsense, this car was built to be run in the WRC (albeit modified). It's designed to run better when coated with mud! :lol:

howiEVO8
01-31-2004, 04:55 AM

i hope ur talking about the burrito smell and not ur farts lolz