PDA

View Full Version : Cosworth 4B11T head development underway

JKav
06-25-2008, 11:22 AM
Eric Hsu of Cosworth has posted some comments and photos in his blog of the work they're doing on the Evo X head here:

http://jdm-insider.com/Blogs/Eric/?p=933

http://jdm-insider.com/Blogs/Eric/wp-content/uploads/2008/06/4bhead.jpg

one snippet: "...We are starting port development, but we’ve developed an initial chamber design. It looks like the chamber will need some work because of casting core shift and an uneven shroud area behind the valves."

From his comments it sounds like they too have been impressed by the stock head.

chrisw
06-25-2008, 11:47 AM
EVO X head is the highest efficiency head that we have measured out of a production engine.

impressed indeed...

willitas34
06-25-2008, 01:15 PM
where is D7? :cool:

nebolic
06-25-2008, 01:25 PM
where is D7? :cool:

I dont think he wants to tear up his $40k car yet.

nebo

whtrice
06-25-2008, 01:29 PM
Would be quit the invasive mod for D7 and not even broken in yet. Howz about you Eddy?
Bolt this on with the twin scroll GT35..... :shock:

nebolic
06-25-2008, 01:34 PM
Would be quit the invasive mod for D7 and not even broken in yet. Howz about you Eddy?

depends on how badly they'll ass rape me on the price :) Im assuming since it's cossie, it will come with a big premium... unless they want to throw on one my X for a test mule ;)

nebo

dabaysevo
06-25-2008, 01:44 PM
Yet you want JUN stroker kit and cams, come on nebo. You have the money burning a hole in your pocket, you know you want it.

whtrice
06-25-2008, 01:47 PM
For sure,Â* You'd just have to walk funny for awhile... :)

depends on how badly they'll ass rape me on the price :) Im assuming since it's cossie, it will come with a big premium... unless they want to throw on one my X for a test mule ;)

nebo

Boostd4
06-25-2008, 02:13 PM
Definitely something that I'd be interested in investigating. Although...I'll be happy with ECUFlash at this point....

nebolic
06-25-2008, 02:14 PM
Yet you want JUN stroker kit and cams, come on nebo. You have the money burning a hole in your pocket, you know you want it.

feels better to be ass raped by the jdm stuff then being ass raped by the brits. :)

nebo

overdrive
06-25-2008, 11:08 PM
That's pretty good news for the X owners.

overdrive
06-25-2008, 11:12 PM
Cosworth has the head, but JUN had already developed a 2.3 stroker kit and camshaft in/ex 280 deg for the X. Check out the their website: www.junauto.co.jp

Btw, here's a vid of their car from last place lapping all the other cars:
JUN EVO X Lapping other cars (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Mdqd_I1TcOQ) <--- Click!

Sorry for the double post guys. My apologies.

DirectorSe7en
06-25-2008, 11:13 PM
^Yea, but who's trying to spend $6,000 on that! :shock:

balut vendor
06-25-2008, 11:18 PM
^Yea, but who's trying to spend $6,000 on that! :shock:

I would if I had the X.

dabaysevo
06-26-2008, 05:26 AM

feels better to be ass raped by the jdm stuff then being ass raped by the brits. :)

nebo

Eric Hsu is with Cosworth USA. Plus JUN uses Cosworth to develop some of their parts. Hell even in their new stroker kit they use Cossie parts. So either way, cossie owns you. :P

steevo8
06-26-2008, 08:36 AM
If the stock head is the most efficient head that cosworth has tested then why in the hell would you spend all that money to replace it? Sounds like a massive waist of money imo.

leaveit2bevo
06-26-2008, 10:38 AM
If the stock head is the most efficient head that cosworth has tested then why in the hell would you spend all that money to replace it? Sounds like a massive waist of money imo.

just because its the most efficient head they have tested doesnt mean they cant make big improvments on it. This is obviously a mod for doods with the dollasss.

steevo8
06-26-2008, 11:07 AM
yeah but when you look at how much power people have made with the stock 4g63 head it sure seems like a huge wast unless your building a complete race motor. This would be one of the very last things I considered if I owned one and was looking for power.

JERRY
06-26-2008, 12:43 PM
yeah but when you look at how much power people have made with the stock 4g63 head it sure seems like a huge wast unless your building a complete race motor. This would be one of the very last things I considered if I owned one and was looking for power.

I'd have to agree. Since they've made the statement that this was one of the best heads they've tested, I would take that as "don't spend money on it just yet, buy other stuff" and not "buy me, I'm expensive and you can tell everyone at the meets you have me". If I had a EVO X and it was solely dedicated as a race car, and I had the budget to spend on it, I'd get one... but otherwise, off it comes and straight into Sean's hand with a porting tool.

Jerry

steevo8
06-26-2008, 12:50 PM
hey jerry do you flow test all your porting that sean does? I'm looking to get someone to test my head for me that's fairly reasonable. Any suggestions?

JERRY
06-26-2008, 12:53 PM
hey jerry do you flow test all your porting that sean does? I'm looking to get someone to test my head for me that's fairly reasonable. Any suggestions?

We have access to a flow tester, but definately not one in house. Give me or Sean a call, there's alot of things he can tell you that I'm sure you would actually be able to do yourself... We've tested different porting jobs on benches as well as on the dyno with some spare heads Sean had laying around before on his car.

Jerry

steevo8
06-26-2008, 01:02 PM
cool, thanks Jerry. I'll hit you up when I get back in town next week.

dohcvtec
06-29-2008, 05:55 PM
Talk to smack about cossie heads, his sucked worse than the stock head. :lol:

AreSTG
06-29-2008, 08:03 PM
Talk to smack about cossie heads, his sucked worse than the stock head.Â* :lol:

ohhhhhhhhhhhhhh???? do tell smack :) lotta money to spend for shit. i mean if i spend $20 at home depot and lose power on a ghetto mod that's one thing.....