PDA

View Full Version : 9 pin male serial port to female usb adaptor

BSREVO
01-29-2005, 05:25 PM
anyone know where i can get a hold of one of these. i just bought the keyspan serial to usb adaptor but the usb side is male. if anyone knows where i can get one please let me know. thanks justin

ps. im trying to hook up my dell pda and my utec

doce_pt2
01-29-2005, 06:24 PM
A lot of people have told me that this is a great site for everything USB related. I haven't bought anything from them but its probably worth checking out. Hope it helps.

:computer:
http://www.usbgear.com/index.html

MarkSAE
01-29-2005, 07:55 PM
So you can use a 9-pin gender-change adapter along with your USB adapter. You can get one of these at Radio Shack.

BSREVO
01-29-2005, 08:11 PM
you sure? i need an male 9 pin with female usb. i think you maybe thing of a male usb.

MarkSAE
01-29-2005, 09:22 PM
Okay, I misunderstood you. So you're looking for a USB gender change adapter. I just google searched "USB gender change adapter" and a lot of entries turned up.

BSREVO
01-29-2005, 09:28 PM
no, i have a serial to usb male and have a female to female usb adapter, but the serial to usb is not what i need. it is used for devices that have a usb port but need a old serial port. i need the opposite. thanks though.

vtluu
01-29-2005, 11:01 PM
In other words you want to use USB on a device on which you only have 9-pin (RS232) serial?

Bad news: can't be done. Even by data rate alone, the fastest RS232 can go is roughly 230kbps (0.23 Mbps), whereas USB 1.1 is 11 Mbps. Beyond data rate, USB is a much more complex protocol, supporting plug-and-play and other features. (I think USB sucks by the way, at least compared to IEEE1394/FireWire). You can go to serial to USB because the thing you plug into your computer's USB port is a full peripheral (whose function is to add a serial port to your system). But in there's no way to convert general USB functionality to serial. (You could do it for specific USB devices, like a mouse or a modem, but nobody does.)

LEVIII
01-30-2005, 10:51 AM
Sorry, Im not to computer litterate to know all you guys are talking about but I have 9 pin to USB, is that what you need? I got it from e8 when I bout my UTEC but I never used it cause my laptop had the 9 pin plug. I dont need it anymore cause Im getting rid of the UTEC.

vtluu
01-30-2005, 11:13 AM
Sorry, Im not to computer litterate to know all you guys are talking about but I have 9 pin to USB, is that what you need? I got it from e8 when I bout my UTEC but I never used it cause my laptop had the 9 pin plug. I dont need it anymore cause Im getting rid of the UTEC.
No, he wants the opposite.