PDA

View Full Version : Titianium cat back vs. Stainless Steel cat back

gbpkr
01-31-2005, 10:24 PM
I am in the market for a cat back and I am seriously looking at getting a titianium cat back. I figure the ti cat back will be a double bonus...more power than the stock cat back and less weight than a regular aftermarket cat back. I am looking at a Magnaflow ti and a Thermal R&D. I can get them both for about the same price....that is another bonus. I found a place that sells the ti for around $750 shipped.

Anybody have any experience with a ti cat back? Has anyone had experience with both?

tahoeacr
01-31-2005, 10:35 PM
I searched for days and couldn't find the Magnaflow for anywhere close to that. I just ordered mine today. $1,239.00 delivered. They had a price increase. Better have your source call and verify their cost again. If you can still get that price I'd be sooo ******.

nebolic
01-31-2005, 10:36 PM
I am in the market for a cat back and I am seriously looking at getting a titianium cat back. I figure the ti cat back will be a double bonus...more power than the stock cat back and less weight than a regular aftermarket cat back. I am looking at a Magnaflow ti and a Thermal R&D. I can get them both for about the same price....that is another bonus. I found a place that sells the ti for around $750 shipped.

Anybody have any experience with a ti cat back? Has anyone had experience with both?

how do you figure that the ti cat back will give you more power vs Staninless steel?

also you just need to justify if its worth the extra $$$.

I run a normal catback and it works fine for me, for the price of a ti catback, i got a normal catback and a downpipe.

Nebo

gbpkr
01-31-2005, 10:40 PM
I think the power is the same, but the weight savings.....that would be the difference. Losing 20-25 pounds is like gaining power because you have less weight to move.

The place I am looking to buy from I found on the Magnaflow web site. If it was going to cost over $1000, I'd just get a stainless steel cat back. The price is what is really getting me to even consider a ti cat back.

leif
01-31-2005, 10:47 PM
I think the power is the same, but the weight savings.....that would be the difference. Losing 20-25 pounds is like gaining power because you have less weight to move.

The place I am looking to buy from I found on the Magnaflow web site. If it was going to cost over $1000, I'd just get a stainless steel cat back. The price is what is really getting me to even consider a ti cat back.

an exhaust is an exhaust as long as its 3+ inches. get the greddy ti, its like 860 bux shipped if you shop around, 3 inches at the neck, 3.2 the rest of the way, no resonators to rob power, and it only weighs ~9 pounds. i fail to see why you would buy any other TI exhaust.

gbpkr
01-31-2005, 10:49 PM
The Magnaflow made the most power in a TPR magazine exhaust test. Plus, I can get it cheaper than the Greddy.

wilson1
01-31-2005, 11:22 PM
gbpkr,,

Please keep us inform about the pricing!

JanSolo
02-01-2005, 12:37 AM
The Magnaflow made the most power in a TPR magazine exhaust test. Plus, I can get it cheaper than the Greddy.

Was the Greddy exhaust even in the exhaust shootout?

TSi_2_EVO
02-01-2005, 02:00 AM
Was the Greddy exhaust even in the exhaust shootout?

no and i thought Buschur had the best exhaust power-wise? thats what was said on EVOm and advertised in magazines anyway.

http://www.tprmag.com/issue/5/5_turbo_exhausts.shtml

*EDIT this thread has buschur results
http://forums.evolutionm.net/showthread.php?t=86997&highlight=tpr+buschur

leif
02-01-2005, 02:50 AM

greddy wasnt in it. but if you can get it cheaper then go for it. its just a JIC exhaust with a different name on it.

and it made more power than the buschur exhaust, but david defended himself by saying his cheapass piping cost less therefore its the best bang for the buck. and i suppose it is, but i wudnt buy it.

gbpkr
02-01-2005, 08:04 AM

It was only like a 1 hp difference. But, like I said before the weight difference is 5-10 pounds. I guess I am just hung up on the bonus of the power gain combined with the weight savings.

My other concern is volume. I have read the ti systems are pretty loud. I have never heard one in real life, so I am kind of wary of the sound of the ti.

gbpkr
02-03-2005, 09:10 AM
Does anybody know if the Magnaflow ti comes out at an angle at the tail or is it in the same area as the oem muffler?

SJCoruja
02-03-2005, 10:14 AM

My other concern is volume. I have read the ti systems are pretty loud. I have never heard one in real life, so I am kind of wary of the sound of the ti.

Hello! I can help you there...I have the Greddy Ti and I LOVE the way it sounds. I had the SS Greddy Evo exhaust on my 3G eclipse and I don't think it is much louder than that at all. Of course, if you are ever near San Jose, or maybe the next big meet, you are welcome to take a listen yourself!

Matt

Whooopasss
02-03-2005, 10:17 AM
The only thing I have heard about Ti is that, once you have a hole on the pipe (via accident).. good luck patching it (weld).

02-03-2005, 11:20 AM
how about ghetto catback 3in exhaust custom made for 300, alumninum? that wat i have before. it sound great.

vtluu
02-03-2005, 11:54 AM
how about ghetto catback 3in exhaust custom made for 300, alumninum? that wat i have before. it sound great.
How long was it before you got pulled over about the exhaust, after getting it installed? :lol:

MarkSAE
02-03-2005, 12:50 PM

You mean aluminized steel right? Nobody ever uses aluminum on the exhaust. It'll melt!

gbpkr
02-03-2005, 01:05 PM
Well, I just broke down and ordered it, $705 shipped from www.performancecenter.com I will report once I get it.

gbpkr
02-19-2005, 09:25 AM
They called me back and said they made a pricing mistake on their website....they expected me to pay the $800 difference...so no titianium for me!!! No way I would pay that much for a cat back. It just changed my choice back to Works...I picked up a stealthworks muffler yesterday.

vtluu
02-19-2005, 11:45 AM
They called me back and said they made a pricing mistake on their website....they expected me to pay the $800 difference...so no titianium for me!!!
Yeah, I hate it when these websites make so-called "pricing mistakes" just to get you to their site and then try to do a bait-and-switch on you. Bastards. :roll: I'm glad you didn't give them any of your business.

gbpkr
02-20-2005, 12:45 PM
I have to admit, I am kinda glad it fell through. I was concerned about the noise level and the angled exit. I have to say I am really impressed with the stealthworks muffler, no extra noise and the car feels stronger. I think I like the path I am going, I have mods, but to the untrained eye, my car looks totally stock.

david buschur
03-24-2005, 10:29 AM
There is a BIG difference in exhausts, even when advertised in 3".

Many companies are advertising their exhausts as 3" and when actually measured are not. Most of the companies offering 3" exhaust have reducers on them where they bolt to the stock cat. Most of the companies offering 3" exhausts use additional resonators in the system, some of them using as many as 3!! The muffler is also a place you can loose a lot of power and we have seen huge losses in power using different mufflers on the EVO's.

Of course now I am going to tell you why I think ours is the best. Our catback for the EVO weighs in at ONLY 16.5 pounds. Our catback is just over 20 pounds lighter than stock. A full 3" titanium system will save you an additional 5 pounds over ours. At what cost though? Our catback is $450, you can buy our complete turbo back system for $750 shipped to your door. Compare that to titanium. Our complete turbo back weighs in at only 23 pounds, which is a 37 pound saving. Nobody makes a titanium downpipe/offroad pipe so you will not be able to save additional weight there.

I checked into building some 3.5" titanium exhausts for the EVO. The tubing price is REDICULOUS!! I understand why they cost so much.

In TPR magazine we had our exhaust tested against quite a few others, don't remember how many now. The Magnaflow Titanium was the only to outperform us. They made less than 1 hp more than we did and we made around 1.5 more ft lbs of torque than they did. I call it a tie. Pricing though isn't even close. Weight you have to decide if that extra 5 pounds is worth double the cost.

Thanks for reading guys,

David Buschur
www.buschurracing.com