PDA

View Full Version : 3inch DP

EvoVIII
02-02-2005, 02:53 PM
who makes the best 3inch DP with best fitment and best power gain??
and can some 1 tell me why the Works 70mm DP cost more then the Works 76mm DP?? power difference?

rodw
02-02-2005, 03:04 PM
It's all about supply and demand....there's more demand for the 76mm piping therefore it cost less to manufacture than the 70mm piping

IMHO...the hp gained from various DPs is virtually the same if you're just comparing DPs alone.

EvoVIII
02-02-2005, 03:28 PM
what if its got to do with, Cam/Cam Gears, ECU, HFC , Cat Back, Throttle body, IC pipe etc..?? should I choose 70mm or 76mm?? is the Hotside and o2 housing Necessary?

rodw
02-02-2005, 04:17 PM
If you going w/ a 3" O2 housing than you're better off with the 3" DP....just keep in mind that in order to maximize gains you need to minimize bottlenecks...

evo_dadi
02-02-2005, 09:58 PM
helix o2 housing paired with the helix downpipe :thumbsup: then might as well throw in the hotside while youre at it :twisted:

vtluu
02-02-2005, 11:14 PM
Just got the WORKS Exhale DP (76mm ceramic-coated) and HFC (high-flow cat) today and all I can say is, dayammmmm! :shock: Under "normal" driving it doesn't sound much different but when you go WOT, there's this intense growl as the car just pulls hard and boost (on my stock boost control system) jumps to 20-21 psi. And the DP itself is a real beautiful piece of workmanship, fitment looks perfect compared to my Buschur catback.

TylerO@WORKS
03-08-2005, 09:03 PM
helix o2 housing paired with the helix downpipe :thumbsup: then might as well throw in the hotside while youre at it :twisted:

The helix o2 housing has the stock size outlet and is tubular steel. They are known for cracking over time. It might flow a little better than stock but not much with the stock outlet. Fitment is poor.

The helix downpipe is heavy and fits poor, some cars rattle and rub with it... some don't. Also the lack of any type of heat coating (like WORKS offers on our downpipes) heats up the engine oil and the transfer case.

The WORKS o2 sensor housing has true full 3 inch chambers and outlet, fits like stock and will never crack as it is CAST. It looks like stock and can even be coated to keep in the heat. Best of all it will bolt RIGHT UP to the WORKS 76mm DP, making it the ONLY true FULL 3 inch complete exhaust system on the market.

Don’t settle for anything sub par.
:roll:

91z28-350
03-08-2005, 09:16 PM
will these parts (o2 housing and downpipe) have a carb-eo #?

evo_dadi
03-08-2005, 09:16 PM

The helix o2 housing has the stock size outlet and is tubular steel. They are known for cracking over time. It might flow a little better than stock but not much with the stock outlet. Fitment is poor.

The helix downpipe is heavy and fits poor, some cars rattle and rub with it... some don't. Also the lack of any type of heat coating (like WORKS offers on our downpipes) heats up the engine oil and the transfer case.

The WORKS o2 sensor housing has true full 3 inch chambers and outlet, fits like stock and will never crack as it is CAST. It looks like stock and can even be coated to keep in the heat. Best of all it will bolt RIGHT UP to the WORKS 76mm DP, making it the ONLY true FULL 3 inch complete exhaust system on the market.

whoa what was that all about :shock: there's trash talking now here all of a sudden.

RuckerPark
03-08-2005, 09:33 PM

:roll: would you care to comment on the "Ping2" reflash?

nebolic
03-08-2005, 09:45 PM
whats the PING2 reflash????

Nebo

91z28-350
03-08-2005, 09:52 PM
It sounds like a snide comment about the P2 flash and pinging, probably from his experience.

I can't say how much I hate all this vendor bashing and vendors bashing. I hope this doesn't degenerate into some evolutionm.net vendor bashing thread.

evo_dadi
03-08-2005, 09:55 PM
I can't say how much I hate all this vendor bashing and vendors bashing. I hope this doesn't degenerate into some evolutionm.net vendor bashing thread.

this is the first that ive seen here also thats why it got me :shock:

nebolic
03-08-2005, 10:01 PM
It sounds like a snide comment about the P2 flash and pinging, probably from his experience.

hhaaha okay now i feel retarded :D I thought it was a "special" flash hahahahaha :D

thas the first time i heard too yo!

Nebo

evo_dadi
03-08-2005, 10:04 PM

hhaaha okay now i feel retarded :D I thought it was a "special" flash hahahahaha :D

thas the first time i heard too yo!

Nebo

:lol: :P

GST
03-08-2005, 10:20 PM
I've installed more than my fair share of the Helix parts and have yet to see one O2 housing crack or have any fitment issues with them.

I have found the downpipes a tight fit on the 05 cars but then most of the downpipes we have installed are a tight fit on them.

I haven't seen a whole lot of Works parts so can't comment on them but from what Tyler says they must be pretty good, perhaps we can do a dyno comparison with them?

Mike

Whooopasss
03-08-2005, 10:24 PM

this is the first that ive seen here also thats why it got me :shock:

yah.. what was that all about..

Gruppe-S
03-08-2005, 10:25 PM

Hi Tyler, in response to your thread, I'm curious if you can elaborate regarding the cracking issue? Reason is that I have spoken with Alex (SP Engineering) and both them and us have NEVER had a single returned 02 housing due to cracking issues. We have sold literally hundreds, so I'm a little surprised that you mentioned there are cracking issues, as both us and SP haven't seen any, and figuring that we're the US Distributors, customers with cracked 02 housings would more than likely turn to us...

Regarding the downpipes, all I can say is that although Helix is a relatively new company, players such as RSR, HKS, etc. all use similar designs (not to mention Garage HRS, Monster, etc.), and have been building them since the EVO 1. I don't really see any negative side effects to "heating" issues, especially since many of these tuners have been building some of the fastests EVOs for over a decade...

Cheers,

Gary
Gruppe-S

Gruppe-S
03-08-2005, 10:32 PM
BTW,

Just for reference, the Helix 02 housing is 64mm in diameter, with the stock one at 56mm. I'm looking at both right now with caliper in hand...

On another note, the Helix V2 02 housing will be out soon with 70mm outlet, custom donut gasket, and mounting location to connect to the block.

Cheers,

Gary
Gruppe-S

JanSolo
03-08-2005, 11:06 PM

This kind of post is not cool whatsoever.

brwnrice
03-08-2005, 11:15 PM
stop bashing at seth green guys he's a cool dude in person. maybe he just had a long day and started typing with out thinking first. :wink:

chris
03-08-2005, 11:16 PM
this post should be closed. don't want any further fights or so...

JanSolo
03-08-2005, 11:39 PM
stop bashing at seth green guys he's a cool dude in person. maybe he just had a long day and started typing with out thinking first. :wink:

:lol: :lol:

Zip-it, Seth.

TylerO@WORKS
03-09-2005, 11:12 AM
BTW,

Just for reference, the Helix 02 housing is 64mm in diameter, with the stock one at 56mm. I'm looking at both right now with caliper in hand...

On another note, the Helix V2 02 housing will be out soon with 70mm outlet, custom donut gasket, and mounting location to connect to the block.

Cheers,

Gary
Gruppe-S

I've seen one crack completely and a few with leaking issues. When I said "they are known for cracking" I was referring to tubular steel parts in general not the Helix specifically.

I was not trying to "bash" anyone :oops: , just stating what I have seen first hand.

I'm glad that Helix is improving the design to incorporate the mount but you have to wonder why it wasn't done the first time.

The outlet is larger because they have thinned the walls. It still uses the stock donut which is the main issue.

For the price I have to admit it's a nice part. The downpipes are another issue entirely.

And yes, it was a late night :(

91z28-350
03-09-2005, 11:15 AM
Will Works being doing something similar for the exhaust manifold? Or will Works be going with a tubular exhaust (headers)? Just curious. The cast O2 housing looks like a good way to try to sneak through the smog techs. :D

TylerO@WORKS
03-09-2005, 11:47 AM
Will Works being doing something similar for the exhaust manifold? Or will Works be going with a tubular exhaust (headers)? Just curious. The cast O2 housing looks like a good way to try to sneak through the smog techs. :D

Maybe. :lol:

91z28-350
03-09-2005, 12:17 PM
OMG! I think I just had my chain jerked....you tease. :D

So, in a hypothetical scenario, should I "wait" or go with the Buschur ported manifold?

TylerO@WORKS
03-09-2005, 12:51 PM
OMG! I think I just had my chain jerked....you tease. :D

So, in a hypothetical scenario, should I "wait" or go with the Buschur ported manifold?

The buschur mani is what i would go with if i wanted one right now.

No eta on anything we are doing :)

Gruppe-S
03-12-2005, 02:45 PM
BTW,

Cheers,

Gary
Gruppe-S

I've seen one crack completely and a few with leaking issues. When I said "they are known for cracking" I was referring to tubular steel parts in general not the Helix specifically.

I was not trying to "bash" anyone :oops: , just stating what I have seen first hand.

I'm glad that Helix is improving the design to incorporate the mount but you have to wonder why it wasn't done the first time.

The outlet is larger because they have thinned the walls. It still uses the stock donut which is the main issue.

For the price I have to admit it's a nice part. The downpipes are another issue entirely.

And yes, it was a late night :(

If there's one cracked completely, the customer would have given us a call and send that unit back under warranty. However I have not seen one getting send back. :roll:

Leaking issue can be caused by improper installation and worn gaskets. Please take that as a consideration.

TylerO@WORKS
03-13-2005, 12:03 PM
If there's one cracked completely, the customer would have given us a call and send that unit back under warranty. However I have not seen one getting send back. :roll:

Leaking issue can be caused by improper installation and worn gaskets. Please take that as a consideration.

He didn't have the luck of buying it from you guys, not all vendors have the service you guys have or even care for that matter :cry:

You are right about the leaking issues and that may have been the case for the one's I have seen. Improper installation could also cause cracking if you don't torque the bolts down evenly.

It sounds like the new one on the way will be much better, I look forward to seeing it.

BTW, do you check your PMs? I'll send it to you again...

EvOlUtIoN_IX_SE
03-14-2007, 12:19 AM
hey i had a question about the rsr dp does anybody know any specifications on that for hp/tq gains...thanks!