PDA

View Full Version : Mod path

nebolic
01-30-2004, 02:16 PM
:?: Anyone want to comment what kind of mods they've put on and how good it works, also can you state if the mod is street legal or illegal.

Lastly about suspension work:

I would like to get rid of that big wheel gap in the front, any thoughts if i get eibachs and lower it 1inch or a different kind of spring is better, oh also want to up the size of my rims to 18inch... anyone know if thats gonna affect the handling in a bad way? :idea:

EvolvedDSM
01-30-2004, 02:29 PM
One word on Eibach: great spring, but probably not what you want to lessen the wheel gap--especially once you get an 18 on there. I've heard good things about Tien S-tech and they give it a good drop up front (I have no first hand knowledge either way).

Whenever you change the ride height/spring rate, you run the risk of getting some ill effects. I have found that you get what you pay for when it comes to suspension parts. Anyone can make a spring to lower the car, but it's usually comes at a cost in the handling/ride quality department. Hell, you can cut a coil or so out of the stock springs and get something that's at least as good as, if not better than, half of what's out there in the aftermarket--and it's free.

BluEvo
01-30-2004, 02:49 PM
i got an hks bov. sounds great, but i run the risk of low idle syndrome of coarse. i'm no suspension expert but do not, i repeat do not, cut stock coils. they will make you stock spring weaker and the possibilities of sagging will come in to effect. i heard that the h. techs from tein were cool. i had the eibachs on my stang before. they left my stang almost stock looking after the 1" drop.

BluEvo
01-30-2004, 02:54 PM
Hell, you can cut a coil or so out of the stock springs and get something that's at least as good as, if not better than, half of what's out there in the aftermarket--and it's free.

i'm not knockin' ur comment above, just have seen to many bad things happen to other pplz cars when cutting coils.

howiEVO8
01-30-2004, 02:58 PM
:?: Anyone want to comment what kind of mods they've put on and how good it works, also can you state if the mod is street legal or illegal.

Lastly about suspension work:

I would like to get rid of that big wheel gap in the front, any thoughts if i get eibachs and lower it 1inch or a different kind of spring is better, oh also want to up the size of my rims to 18inch... anyone know if thats gonna affect the handling in a bad way? :idea:

i'd sure like to know to, i'm planning to do the exact same thing.
I'm pretty much going for go and show and not just go...
so in the future i'll be looking to get some bigger rims, most likely 18's.

there' s a few drop springs available...however from what i've heard, and it seems to stand true, you do get what you pay for when it comes to
suspension....personally i would get a nice set of coilovers instead, mainly
cuz there's a lot of advantages over just the springs alone.

although, i have seriously considered getting springs cuz of the cost factor.

nebolic
01-30-2004, 03:02 PM
thats what i'm thinking about coilovers, but i'm just worried about cambers being off, i know its a biznitch to get into the suspension.... just wanted someone to comment if they have coilovers and give us some details, i.e did you get alignments, is it causing any clearance issue.?

EvolvedDSM
01-30-2004, 03:47 PM
In general you're going to get the most out of your car by freeing up the airflow in and out of the engine (read:intake pipe, I/C pipes and turbo-back exhaust). Then you can mess around with fuel and boost control (read: get a logging device or at least an EGT and learn how to use them). Next up is gonna be your clutch if it hasn't burnt out already ;) After that you can splurge on a bigger front mount, cams, turbo, superflash, blah, blah, blah...

All in all I've seen several different companies make very similar products. No one is really that much better than anyone else. Go with a vendor who offers you service and quality at the most reasonable price.

Now, back to cutting coils. It really isn't as bad as all those horror stories you've heard. I ran on cut coils for a while and never had a single problem. It's when jackasses start heating coils you run into sagging and weakening issues. Cut coils are fine as long as you don't cut too much (I've never cut more than one full coil). You don't lose any structural integrity by doing so.

vtluu
01-30-2004, 04:19 PM
Re: cutting coils, wouldn't you want a stiffer spring to compensate for the shorter spring and lower ride height? Although most of us probably don't drive in a way that would ever cause us to "bottom out" (completely compress) the springs and coilovers--i.e. no going airborne Dukes of Hazzard or WRC-style. 8)

warpspeed
01-30-2004, 04:28 PM
After the Xflash, am heading toward the Tein basic coilovers. Can't really afford to spend $1500-$1900 on suspension. The Basics is around $800+. About the camber, it all depends on how low you go. On my civic, I lowered 2" and the camber was not that bad. My tires are not wearing out weird. As for rims on the Evo, I heard that 18x8.5 with an offset of +35 is just right with 245x40s. Now the hard thing is to find the style you like with the right specs. Most likely is going to be those expensive rims.

hope this help

EvolvedDSM
01-30-2004, 04:35 PM
Re: cutting coils, wouldn't you want a stiffer spring to compensate for the shorter spring and lower ride height? Although most of us probably don't drive in a way that would ever cause us to "bottom out" (completely compress) the springs and coilovers--i.e. no going airborne Dukes of Hazzard or WRC-style. 8)

Ideally, yes, but it's still better than what most people do. You'd be surprised how many people are riding on their bumpstops with their JDM-yo springs and not know it. Cutting usually won't drop more than an inch or so (really depends on the spacing of the coil itself) and still keeps you in pretty safe territory (trimming the bumpstop will help some). Also consider the spring rates on the EVO aren't low and well help keep things from compressing too much.

evo_dadi
02-01-2004, 12:11 PM
if changing the suspension causes the camber to change you can just buy a camber kit to correct it or have a place install it and set up the alignment and camber. but with most coilover kits they come with camber plates already so you can dial in the setting that you want for it.its the alignment now that you have to get fixed to compensate for the lower stance and make sure that the suspension upgrade you're gonna get is gonna be able to handle a bigger sized tire/rims combo.