PDA

View Full Version : Which rear sway bar should I go? Need your advice

jeffreywrc
02-06-2005, 05:23 PM
Hey guys~~I'm looking for rear sway bar for my Evo.
If I keep the stock front sway bar, which one would you suggest?
1.Perrin 25mm rear sway bar
2.Cusco 23mm rear swar bar
Somebody told me the front sway bar should be thicker than rear, was that correct? :?:

vtluu
02-06-2005, 06:59 PM
Leave the front swaybar alone, making it stiffer will generally only increase your car's tendency to understeer. I'd recommend the Hotchkis 24mm hollow bar; it's plenty stiffer than stock and about the same weight. And about $160.

Evo442
02-06-2005, 08:15 PM
I have the Works rear swaybar set at medium, which has reduced body roll and has given the car a more neutral character, as opposed to the understeer that the factory has built in.

I would certainly reccomend this bar. One of the Works guys did reccomend the Hotchkis bar to me as 2nd choice behind the Works rear swaybar when Works was out of stock.

As for the front swaybar, I'd agree with vtluu, but it depends on how you want the car to behave. The car has a tendency to understeer from the factory, which is "safe" but not what most people want out of a performance car. Adding a stiffer rear swaybar will decrease body roll and get rid of the understeer, maybe even make the car oversteer. Adding the front swaybar in addition to the rear will bring back some of the understeer. Of course it depends on how things are set up and how you want the car to behave. What are you looking for?

chrisw
02-06-2005, 10:03 PM
I have the hotchkis rear swaybar. It's hollow, it's light, it's cheap

Works pretty good too

jeffreywrc
02-07-2005, 03:46 AM
Thanks you guys very much for valuable opininos. :thumbsup:

I think I've found my way to go.

MarkSAE
02-07-2005, 10:32 AM
I have the WORKS rear bar on the medium setting and it helped reduce understeer a lot. I like it. I'm gonna try the stiffest setting next.

evoboy
04-04-2005, 12:57 AM
Whiteline 4 ways adjustable...its 24mm. You can get them from MPJperformance.com

redvolution
04-04-2005, 10:01 AM
Hotchkis bar is well made (no welds) but I have 2 complaints:

1) The clearance btw it and my Works 3" IP/AB combo is <2 mm. Occasionally I hear a clunk in hard cornering. I blame the bar rather than the exhaust because the bar extends lower than the stock bar and the exhaust is in exactly the same place as the stock parts.

2) The bar has no discs preventing it from slipping back and forth. The Works bar does. note:
http://www.hotchkistuning.com/bin/images/products/evo8/22423lg.jpg vs. http://www.worksevo.com/store/images/rearsway.jpg
That slippage causes a slight delay on corner entry. Car will push for a fraction of a second then the bar will set and bring the rear around. If I were doing it again I'd go with the Works bar instead.

earlyapex
04-04-2005, 11:52 AM
I'm using a rear Whiteline 24mm 4-way adjustable. Works great. A swaybar is a swaybar unless you start talking about hollow ones which save weight.

I believe the whiteline is about $180.

I've used nothing but whiteline sways on all my cars sense they are cheap and work great. Never had a problem.

I wouldn't upgrade your front bar. It gives the illusion of better handling but reduces front grip. Our front is rather large from the factory anyway. Stock is 24mm in the front.

SouthernCrane
04-04-2005, 11:52 AM
I have the WORKS rear sway bar too, and have no complaints.

blitzkrgCT9A
04-08-2005, 05:36 PM
Cusco swaybar :)

wilson1
04-08-2005, 05:39 PM
Works rear at stiffest, almost oversteer at will! :shock: :D

evo_dadi
04-08-2005, 05:40 PM
Works rear at stiffest, almost oversteer at will! :shock: :D

dorifto!!! :lol:

DRFTR8
04-08-2005, 07:21 PM
i have the Progress adjustable sway bar that i won from the meet

V8KiLL3R
04-08-2005, 08:34 PM
Whiteline 4 ways adjustable...its 24mm. You can get them from MPJperformance.com

they are nice, you should check it out to see for yourself.

methods4
04-09-2005, 03:12 PM
http://www.roadraceengineering.com/evoswaybar.htm (Progress)

I have this on my car and 100% satisfied with it. The car on track is completely different and rotates much much better.

I beat on my car all day at the track and no, the welds didn't break. Personally I'm not worried about the welds as other people are.