PDA

View Full Version : new tires

spoolin
02-07-2005, 06:31 PM
hey guys.. its that time again... time for some new meats for my car.. im not sure what to get. Im looking for a harder compound tire (one that would last longer) because i hate having to change those damn yokohamas every 9000 miles.... any ideas wud be great.. thanks.. late

vtluu
02-07-2005, 06:50 PM
Need more info. It really depends what you want to use your tires for, your driving habits and road conditions, etc.

BluEvo
02-07-2005, 07:08 PM
i 've done some research and i ended up with the Pirelli PZero Nero M+S.
Good rated all weather tire. almost as good as the stock Yoko's, but cost way less. Tread wear is not that bad either.
compare them here.
tirerack (http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tires.jsp?tireMake=Pirelli&tireModel=PZero+Nero+M%26S&vehicleSearch=true&partnum=345VR70NMS&fromCompare1=yes)

vtluu
02-07-2005, 07:10 PM
I don't trust TireRack reviews/results at all. To be fair, in many cases the reviewers just don't have the same priorities/requirements that I do. To be cynical, in many cases the reviewers are clueless idiots.

I'm glad you found tires you like; I'm just saying I wouldn't rely on the TireRack reviews to select one.

mrprotocols
02-07-2005, 07:16 PM
Good rated all weather tire. almost as good as the stock Yoko's, but cost way less. Tread wear is not that bad either.
compare them here.
tirerack (http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tires.jsp?tireMake=Pirelli&tireModel=PZero+Nero+M%26S&vehicleSearch=true&partnum=345VR70NMS&fromCompare1=yes)

I just order the Pirelli PZero Nero M+S last night. It has pretty good review and prices and tread wear for daily driving. If you willing to spend more money, the BFGoodRich KDW look pretty good. You might want to to some research on it, and think about what you want daily driving or track.

earlyapex
02-07-2005, 11:30 PM
compare them here.

If you think that tire will be "almost" as good as the stock Yok's you are mad.

A bfgoodrich KD or KDW(if you care about wet) would have been closer for cheaper.

GReddy_917
02-08-2005, 12:25 AM
If you think that tire will be "almost" as good as the stock Yok's you are mad.A bfgoodrich KD or KDW(if you care about wet) would have been closer for cheaper.

So you personally have ran the PZero Nero's as well as the KD's and KDW's all on your Evo?

GReddy_917
02-08-2005, 12:37 AM
I don't trust TireRack reviews/results at all. To be fair, in many cases the reviewers just don't have the same priorities/requirements that I do. To be cynical, in many cases the reviewers are clueless idiots.

I'm glad you found tires you like; I'm just saying I wouldn't rely on the TireRack reviews to select one.

Tam, I doubt Terrence (or anyone else on this thread) cares about what your priorities/requirements are.

:nana:

vtluu
02-08-2005, 01:17 AM
:yuckfu: My point was that each person has their own priorities and with no idea what Spoolin's are, none of us can even begin to make a good recommendation.

earlyapex
02-08-2005, 10:57 AM
If you think that tire will be "almost" as good as the stock Yok's you are mad.A bfgoodrich KD or KDW(if you care about wet) would have been closer for cheaper.

So you personally have ran the PZero Nero's as well as the KD's and KDW's all on your Evo?

Not on my evo, but I have ran and tried all those tires before, so yes, I know what they all feel like by first hand experience if that is what you are asking.

vtluu
02-08-2005, 11:03 AM
If you're looking for a tire with similar characteristics to the OE tires but cheaper, I'd recommend the Kumho Ecsta MXs.

On sale now at Tire Rack, $118 in the OE size: http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tires.jsp?tireMake=Kumho&tireModel=ECSTA+MX&vehicleSearch=true&partnum=345YR7EMX&fromCompare1=yes

turbotiger
02-08-2005, 11:21 AM
You're not gonna find any all season tire to come close to the stock yoko advans. They're totally a different class of tire. One is wet/dry and the other is all season. There's alot of compromise to be made in order for it to perform in the snow.

The new Azenis tire might be equiv at a lower price point if they finally get the thermal stability problem licked. We'll have to see when it is released.

vtluu
02-08-2005, 11:32 AM
"Thermal stability" shouldn't be too much of an issue for daily or even spirited driving. I tracked the Azenis Sports at Thunderhill and they heated up but were still predictable and manageable and still grippy when hot.

The new Azenis RT-615s promise to be better thermally, better in standing water, and lighter. (BTW they're available now for preorder for late-Feb delivery from VulcanTire.com.)

The only reason I wouldn't recommend the Azenis Sports as a California summer tire (meaning they'll never see heavy rain) is that as they wear down, road noise can be really intense.

GReddy_917
02-08-2005, 01:13 PM
Not on my evo, but I have ran and tried all those tires before, so yes, I know what they all feel like by first hand experience if that is what you are asking.

Ok. Im interested in what conditions did you run all those tires...your location says "open track events" so does that mean you took all those tires out on the track, or did you just use them for daily driving?

earlyapex
02-08-2005, 01:18 PM

Ok. Im interested in what conditions did you run all those tires...your location says "open track events" so does that mean you took all those tires out on the track, or did you just use them for daily driving?

I haven't used the Nero's in daily driving situations but I have driven them on test grounds. I have open tracked the KD's.

I am not saying the Nero is a bad tire at all, I am just saying it's not even close to the stock Yok's as far as performance.

GokuSSJ4
02-08-2005, 01:23 PM
BF goodrich KD's tread wear is 200 and they stick a bit more then the advan a046. I had the tires for over 7k miles , very happy with the results

BluEvo
02-08-2005, 03:40 PM
I just order the Pirelli PZero Nero M+S last night. It has pretty good review and prices and tread wear for daily driving. If you willing to spend more money, the BFGoodRich KDW look pretty good. You might want to to some research on it, and think about what you want daily driving or track.
let me know how you like them after you slap em on and take em for a spin....

mrprotocols
02-08-2005, 03:48 PM
let me know how you like them after you slap em on and take em for a spin....

The tires should arrive tomorrow, then I can install my coil and rims/tires for the test drive this weekend =)... I'll let you know next wekeend =)

ace33joe
02-08-2005, 10:57 PM
Any news about ADVAN Neova coming to US?

Autoweek says Yokohama is planning to start selling ADVAN sport in US, but I am not sure whether it's same as Neova or not.

It seems Neova is the choice of Japanese tuners as street tires if you watch Best motoring videos. (Well, not sure whether Yoko's sponsoring them or not :))

dohcvtec
02-09-2005, 10:18 AM
compare them here.

I just order the Pirelli PZero Nero M+S last night. It has pretty good review and prices and tread wear for daily driving.
i have these tires on my evo right now. i've had them since november for a snow tire. they are great in water and snow. i need to take them into some mud. :) but they do not compare to the stock yoko's in the dry, like others have said, just a totally different class of tire. i am very pleased with these tires though. and they kick ass in the snow.

BMan
02-11-2005, 06:27 PM
I have a set of 245.45.17 BFG Traction TA's on mine and they bite great, handle in the wet, still drive in snow and can still do a 35 mph right turn, right lane to right lane. I like them a bunch.

TogueMonster
02-12-2005, 02:45 AM
I've heard alot of good things about the Neovas. D1 drivers use em' in drifting and are considered to be among the best, if not THE best, tire made. I've seen em in action on video and they take a while to warm up. They stick well until you warm them up really good then you can get a little loose in em'. I heard grip racers use them religiously. High speed traction. In my opinion the NEOVA is probably the best tire I never used, ha!!

earlyapex
02-13-2005, 11:50 PM
I've heard alot of good things about the Neovas. D1 drivers use em' in drifting and are considered to be among the best, if not THE best, tire made. I've seen em in action on video and they take a while to warm up. They stick well until you warm them up really good then you can get a little loose in em'. I heard grip racers use them religiously. High speed traction. In my opinion the NEOVA is probably the best tire I never used, ha!!

That was a information packed post about the Neovas.

MadStylez707
02-18-2005, 06:20 AM
anyone ever experienced the handling/peformance of Potenza S-03s??? i'm due for new tires as well... :(

dohcvtec
02-18-2005, 10:51 AM
anyone ever experienced the handling/peformance of Potenza S-03s??? i'm due for new tires as well... :(
great rain tire.