PDA

View Full Version : O NOES!! I converted!!

missred
07-12-2008, 11:50 AM
Well after a year i got bored with my rebel and decided to trade with my cousins Nikon D40. Today I'm going to go out and play with it. So the question is..... good trade, bad trade or both are comparable?

mtsevovii
07-12-2008, 11:52 AM
you suck Paul.

im taking you off my Fav 5 if you go Nikon. :lol:

awdaddict
07-12-2008, 11:54 AM
you suck Paul.

fighting words... :lol:

missred
07-12-2008, 11:55 AM
you suck Paul.

lol I'm still at that stage if I don't like it we could make an exchange. As long as i don't drop the son a bitch then I'm really stuck with it :lol:

mtsevovii
07-12-2008, 11:57 AM
Alan will be disappointed in you too... :lol: :p you dont want to disappoint him... haha

steevo8
07-12-2008, 03:05 PM
IMO they both kinda bit arse. I liked the interface and such of the canon better but the nikon feels better built and is more comfortable to use. I think as far as IQ goes they are both going to be very comparable. IMO if you were looking to go to a different camera and spending money to do so you money is best spent on either a 20D for a canon or a D70 for a nikon. Both bodies go for around $400 used and I just went from a XT to a 20D and couldnt be happier. I for sure have no interest in using a rebel again, solely based of of how crappy it feels in your hand.

chuckdashi
07-12-2008, 05:39 PM
i agree i have an xti and yes it is not the best dslr based on feel as to me it is to light especially compared to my friends 40d... but honestly i cant complain on the damn thing... i do like my rebel xti...

oh and paul... i still like the canon better... but yet i am biased and have always been more of a canon fan being that most if not everyone i know down here owns a canon and can borrow their lens... lol...

steevo8
07-12-2008, 09:44 PM
The light feel is one thing that really bugs me... IF I was to be able to get past that the new XSI is a GREAT walk around small bodied SLR and I would love to own it. When you can get one used for sub $500 range it will be a hell of a steal..

Jay
07-12-2008, 10:25 PM
Gawd I wish I could have made it out tonight, I would have given you a few pointers.

MadEvo
07-12-2008, 10:38 PM
Let's have a photography contest between the two cameras.

steevo8
07-12-2008, 11:58 PM
does that mean no editing allowed?

chuckdashi
07-13-2008, 01:52 AM
i dont really edit my pics except for borders and sigs... :p

missred
07-13-2008, 01:58 AM
Let's have a photography contest between the two cameras.

hmmm that sounds like fun, why not? :D

does that mean no editing allowed?

fair enough.

Now let's see how do we go about doing this comparison? Any suggestions?

RgistRdShowoffIX
07-13-2008, 03:24 AM
Camera Shootout Rules:

Cameras will:
shoot the same subject in same light (duh)

with:
same ISO settings (one lowest-100; middle-800; and highest usable)
w/ equivalent lenses at same/equivalent focal lenths. recommend closest to farthest shots first.

no edits, no image enhancements (ie. vivid color), AF on, and full manual exposure and the rule is to use the in camera light meter and shoot at what the light meter deems "balanced".

:) sound good?

MadEvo
07-13-2008, 08:52 AM
Camera Shootout Rules:

Cameras will:
shoot the same subject in same light (duh)

with:
same ISO settings (one lowest-100; middle-800; and highest usable)
w/ equivalent lenses at same/equivalent focal lenths. recommend closest to farthest shots first.

no edits, no image enhancements (ie. vivid color), AF on, and full manual exposure and the rule is to use the in camera light meter and shoot at what the light meter deems "balanced".

:) sound good?

I like the idea.
one Scenery photo. one portrait, one car shot, one action shot?

steevo8
07-13-2008, 08:58 AM
A lot of those results are already available on line, and with a test like that all its doing is testing which sensor and lens performs better with one another. Im not sure exactly where the nikon sensors beat the canon sensor but one thing I do know is that even my old 20d out performs the D200 when it comes to low light and noise which is a huge selling point for me. After playing with both cameras I really didnt see anything as far as IQ that would make me spend more on the nikon so thats why I ended up with the 20d.

RgistRdShowoffIX
07-13-2008, 11:08 AM
lol you're no fun. :P

bricel24
07-13-2008, 12:26 PM
Paul, you should post some unedited pics from the Nikon.

RgistRdShowoffIX
07-13-2008, 05:43 PM
Paul, you should post some unedited pics from the Nikon.

as long as they're not the uncut versions from your random photoshoots. :P

steevo8
07-13-2008, 05:54 PM
If you shoot in raw wont uncut pics will look like crap regardless of what camera they come out of?

DaveLC2
07-13-2008, 06:00 PM
IMO they both kinda bit arse. I liked the interface and such of the canon better but the nikon feels better built and is more comfortable to use. I think as far as IQ goes they are both going to be very comparable. IMO if you were looking to go to a different camera and spending money to do so you money is best spent on either a 20D for a canon or a D70 for a nikon. Both bodies go for around $400 used and I just went from a XT to a 20D and couldnt be happier. I for sure have no interest in using a rebel again, solely based of of how crappy it feels in your hand.

That's exactly why I went with the D50. I didn't like the feel of the rebel or the buttons to the right of the screen. The 20d is a nice camera! I would like to get a D300 or really save up for a D700 but I think it's gonna be about $3k :?

I know on the D40 you're limited on lenses. They have a 18-55VR & 55-200VR lens for a resonable price. How do you like it so far? I like how it's super tiny. Congrats on the swap and be sure to post up some pics.

Dave

KakimotoEVO
07-17-2008, 04:06 PM
Well after a year i got bored with my rebel and decided to trade with my cousins Nikon D40. Today I'm going to go out and play with it. So the question is..... good trade, bad trade or both are comparable?

Paul!! Congrats of the trade and welcome to the Nikon camp! What lenses do you have right now? Too bad you won't make MOD and JTheory, otherwise we could do some shoots together!