PDA

View Full Version : Who's a mechanic?

EvolvedDSM
01-31-2004, 05:06 PM
Just trying to get a feel of what kind of a hands-on crowd we have here.

vtluu
01-31-2004, 07:52 PM
I only got "into" cars half a year ago but I'm learning fast. Until then I hadn't so much as changed the oil on my own car. Later this year I'm going to (with much help from a more knowledgeable friend) drop the tranny to change the clutch.

warpspeed
01-31-2004, 08:52 PM
I am a mechanic but "old school." I used to work on chevys mainly because back in the days I got hand me down cars. I've studied though and got a AA degree and had a smog license and everything. Now I am trying to keep up with all the computer stuff on cars. It's kinda funny though, nowadays the car is suppose to be easy to fix by using a scanners/diagnostic tools to find the problems but when you do find the problem, it's a real bitch to get at. Most of the time you have to be a contortionist.

howiEVO8
02-01-2004, 04:33 AM
well since you guys are mechanics, i'd like to ask...how hard is it to change the clutch line on our evos?

EvolvedDSM
02-01-2004, 04:57 AM
It's one of the more simple jobs. Probably takes about half an hour.

chris
02-01-2004, 08:48 AM
im thinking of getting a clutch line soon too. i seem to slip so much haha. other than that i can do oil changes, intake... and thats about it lol. i wish i was a mech. makes everything just easier.

evo_dadi
02-01-2004, 12:05 PM
i usually do basic bolt ons but im held down with insufficient tools and equipments. but like working on my car and helping out the others as much as i know.

BluEvo
02-01-2004, 01:40 PM
i'm glad some of you guys are. you can help the rest of us who are not. i've put on the basics, like intakes, blow off valves, and stuff like that. but nothing major.

EvolvedDSM
02-01-2004, 05:52 PM
Owning several DSMs kinda forced me into the situation ;) I did minor stuff and helped my dad before, so I had some background. My first "major" job was when my turbo blew and I had to replace it myself. Next was when my mom's timing belt snapped (yeah, she had an Eclipse which I later bought) and I was volunteered to replace it. I've been progressing from there and feel pretty comfortable with most things.

leif
02-01-2004, 09:58 PM
i guess i fall under the bolt on category. never had to do any other kind of work, i'd probly try it if i had the tools though.

ob4
02-01-2004, 10:36 PM
love to work on car, it's always fun to learn about the engineering behind the equipment. but i have to agree with evo_dadi, now a days, having the right tools really makes the job a lot easiler.

as for the clutch line, it should be a fairly straight forward job, but that bolt on the clutch master cycl is a pain to get to.

-ob4

howiEVO8
02-01-2004, 11:14 PM
love to work on car, it's always fun to learn about the engineering behind the equipment. but i have to agree with evo_dadi, now a days, having the right tools really makes the job a lot easiler.

as for the clutch line, it should be a fairly straight forward job, but that bolt on the clutch master cycl is a pain to get to.

-ob4

so how much do you think the labor is on replacing the clutch line?
mines just sitting in my leather laptop bag.