PDA

View Full Version : Getting Corner Balanced- Check My Alignment specs!

e8
02-15-2005, 02:32 AM
As the title says, I am going to get my car corner balanced (FINALLY!) on Friday at Roger Kraus Racing.

My car is mainly street driven. The car will see 5-7 track events a year.

So here's the alignment specs I am shooting for:

Front Right: -1.8
Front Left: -1.8
Rear Right: -1.0
Rear Left: -1.0
Front and Rear Toe: 0

Pretty "mild". Any suggestions would be great.

vtluu
02-15-2005, 08:39 AM
That sounds pretty reasonable. Make sure you have the ride height you want dialed in before you take it to get corner-balanced. What coilovers are you running?

e8
02-15-2005, 10:33 AM
That sounds pretty reasonable. Make sure you have the ride height you want dialed in before you take it to get corner-balanced. What coilovers are you running?

Zeal V6 (Works Spec)

chrisw
02-15-2005, 11:16 AM
sounds good, but you might want more negative camber up front.

earlyapex
02-16-2005, 11:35 PM
You want more negative camber in the front if you are going to be tracking 5-7 events a year.

I ran -2.6F with 0 toe on my wrx and I daily drove it and had no abnormal tire wear if I kept my pressures constant. It's toe that kills tires, not camber.

The EVO being so porky, you are going to want more negative camber in front than -1.8.

I used roger kraus for my WRX as well.

DB8GSR
02-17-2005, 07:08 AM
Darren... how much is for the alignment?

and where is his shop located. I need to redo my settings asap.

chrisw
02-17-2005, 08:20 AM
You want more negative camber in the front if you are going to be tracking 5-7 events a year.

I ran -2.6F with 0 toe on my wrx and I daily drove it and had no abnormal tire wear if I kept my pressures constant. It's toe that kills tires, not camber.

The EVO being so porky, you are going to want more negative camber in front than -1.8.

I currently run -2.8 with 0 toe with no abnormal tire wear.

e8
02-17-2005, 07:24 PM

Roger Kraus is located in Hayward. Alignment and corner balancing should be around $250. I'll pm you and let you know when it's done tomorrow. :thumbsup:

So guys, it looks like as much as -2.5? Should I stick with -1.0 in the rear? I heard too much negative rear camber will cause understeer (which makes sense). Thanks for all your input. Any more advice before tomorrow ould be great!

earlyapex
02-17-2005, 10:45 PM

Roger Kraus is located in Hayward. Alignment and corner balancing should be around $250. I'll pm you and let you know when it's done tomorrow. :thumbsup:

So guys, it looks like as much as -2.5? Should I stick with -1.0 in the rear? I heard too much negative rear camber will cause understeer (which makes sense). Thanks for all your input. Any more advice before tomorrow ould be great!

yea -1.0 in the rear is fine, you don't want any more and you could do with less but its really hard to get less on a lowered car without camber plates or the like. With more negative camber in front, there will be more tendancy for slight oversteer because the front has so much more grip. Yet another way to tune out understeer. :)

Damn $250! Must have gone up since I used them last.

EvoVIII
02-17-2005, 11:25 PM

I currently run -2.8 with 0 toe with no abnormal tire wear.
so what are u running on the rear? how many pound of air r u running on ur tires and how often do u rotate ur tires?

e8
02-19-2005, 12:48 AM
Results are in!

If any of you are thinking about aligning/corner balancing your car, take it to Roger Kraus! The guys are nice and their service is great. They know what they're doing.

Camber Before:
FR: -2.4 Toe: 0.22in :shock:
FL: -2.2 Toe: 0.24in :shock:
BR: -2.2 Toe: .05in
BL: -1.5 Toe: .09in

No wonder I ate my tires so fast after I got my suspension installed.....

Camber After:
FR: -2.5 Toe: 0.0in
FL: -2.5 Toe: 0.0in
BR: -1.2 Toe: 0.0in
BL: -1.2 Toe: 0.0in

They couldn't get my car to 0.0in toe at -1.0 degrees of camber in the rear. I had to settle for -1.2. Boy does the car feel SO much better. Like night and day.

Corner Weight Before:
FR: 975LB Left|right: 49.05%
FL: 1042LB Left|right: 50.95%
BR: 672LB Left|right: 49.0%
BL: 675LB Left|right: 51.0%

Corner Weight After:
FR: 991LB Left|right: 49.93%
FL: 1028LB Left|right: 50.07%
BR: 657LB Left|right: 49.0%
BL: 689LB Left|right: 51.0%

Total vehicle weight: 3365LB w/ me, a little over half tank and the spare.

vtluu
02-19-2005, 03:04 AM
Funny, your cross weights are 1680 and 1685 lbs. Mine were 1680 and 1681 lbs. Pretty darned close! (Though I think my car may be lighter, as I had them dial in 170 lbs for the driver weight. :oops: Need to hit the gym more!)

earlyapex
02-21-2005, 04:20 PM
Results are in!

If any of you are thinking about aligning/corner balancing your car, take it to Roger Kraus! The guys are nice and their service is great. They know what they're doing.

Camber Before:

Holy toe! Did you not get your car aligned after a suspension install before or something?

Glad you liked Roger Kraus, they are great!

e8
02-21-2005, 06:24 PM
Results are in!

Camber Before:

Holy toe! Did you not get your car aligned after a suspension install before or something?

Works had previously aligned the car twice after installation.

earlyapex
02-21-2005, 06:37 PM
Results are in!

Camber Before:

Works had previously aligned the car twice after installation.

Did they not give you alignment spec sheets after their alignments?

The book Roger Kraus gives you is a nice touch isn't it?

e8
02-22-2005, 02:08 AM
Did they not give you alignment spec sheets after their alignments?

The book Roger Kraus gives you is a nice touch isn't it?

Works did, but the alignment was off from what they specified. The equipment Works uses to do alignment isn't nearly as high tech as Roger Kraus's equipment. (not a knock on Works in anyway shape or form, I've been happy with most of their work thus far)

The booklet was definitely a nice touch. Got my before and after for everything!

vtluu
02-22-2005, 02:21 AM
I don't remember WORKS having any equipment to do alignment; in fact they recommended I go to Roger Kraus (which I did). :thumbsup: