PDA

View Full Version : What do you guys think about the Evo RS?

warpspeed
02-01-2004, 11:23 PM
I was reading an article about the Evo RS and was wondering what you guys think about it. It seems to me like a "project" car since it doesn't have all the bells and whistle but it does have a LSD on the front and the same motor without a/c. Also this is good for some people who does like the big wing in the back and prefer a C-West wing or something. I am even considering one and build it to the hilt and leave my other Evo alone.

nebolic
02-02-2004, 01:18 AM
i heard that they will mark up the price of that puppy like no other, cuz once again its limited edition and only a few hundred (?) are being made. Not sure if its worth the money because after all if you're not going to get any bells and whistle, you would assume that the car will sell for way way less than a regular evo 8

howiEVO8
02-02-2004, 01:58 AM
i heard that they will mark up the price of that puppy like no other, cuz once again its limited edition and only a few hundred (?) are being made. Not sure if its worth the money because after all if you're not going to get any bells and whistle, you would assume that the car will sell for way way less than a regular evo 8

700 produced per year

vtluu
02-02-2004, 02:24 AM
I think if you're looking for a base platform to build a fully race-modified Evo for the track/auto-x/rally, this is the perfect car.

Otherwise, I can think of a few mods to the regular Evo that will save you the 90-lb difference between the two cars, if you care about weight. (Mods that still leave you with power windows, a stereo, and A/C so you're still far better off than the RS as a daily driver.) I'd like a front LSD, but I'm told the RS front LSD will fit in the regular Evo, and also Quaife is making one.

If I could afford one Evo, I'd get the regular one.

If I could afford two Evos, I'd get one of each. :lol:

BluEvo
02-02-2004, 10:20 AM
I think if you're looking for a base platform to build a fully race-modified Evo for the track/auto-x/rally, this is the perfect car.

you're exactly right. it was made for the race minded driver. i, mean no a/c, no power windows, no wing. you lose all the comfortable things you like in your daily driver now. it's a platform race car, ready made to slap on all your performance goodies. we have all those comfort items and its still fast, so i'm gald i got what i got.

chris
02-02-2004, 10:37 AM
it's weird. when you don't have ac you wish you did. and when you do have it you roll down ur windows lol. but yeah i need my ac, power windows, etc. feels a lot better as a daily driven car.

howiEVO8
02-02-2004, 03:05 PM
yeah and supposedly its 88 to 146 lbs lighter over a regular evo.

thomas
02-02-2004, 08:15 PM
yea i heard some fool up here in norcal had two evos. some guy at the roseville dealership told me this when i bought mine. i was like, "hell no," what you gonna do with two of the same car...but now that the rs came out, i think itll be cool to supe it like theres no tomorrow, if you can afford another one. another thing, did mitsu get too cheap to paint the side mirrors and door handles...geez. i kno its suppossed distinguish it from "our" evos, but c'mon...theres other ways. i guess it is the cheapest way.

i like my wing.

"yes, please...ill take two of that color and this one rite here..."

sure buddy :roll:

vtluu
02-02-2004, 10:38 PM
i like my wing.
I like mine too, but chances are if you're race-prepping an Evo you'll be putting on a full-out aluminum wing that has a lot more downforce. That's why it's not included.

The 88 lbs (which the diff between the RS and the no-sunroof Evo) comes from the lack of sound insulation, lack of accessories, and aluminum roof panel. And a few pounds for no wing I guess. It's surprisingly little weight savings if you think about it; you could get most of that with a titanium catback and struts/braces, smaller battery... if saving weight was that important to you. You could probably get a body shop to install the RS aluminum roof too. And you'd still have all the niceties--stereo, A/C, etc.

The Evo RS is there to save you part of the trouble of stripping out your Evo if you're building a race-prepped car--i.e. it allows you to not buy the parts you're going to throw out anyway. I guess if you wanted a stock front LSD real bad you could buy an RS and add most of the other stuff back in--but that seems like a rather silly exercise.