PDA

View Full Version : I think we all should get an Oil catch can.

warpspeed
02-22-2005, 09:19 PM
Well I was bored and noticed that the hose coming from the valve cover to the intake pipe was getting kinda dark( I have a see through hose). So I took off the intake pipe and this is what I saw:

http://www.we-todd-did-racing.com/wetoddimage.wtdr/wNzk2NzU4NnM0MTNkZmQzMXk1NDE%3D.jpg

http://www.we-todd-did-racing.com/wetoddimage.wtdr/wNzk2NzYzNnM0MTNkZmQzMXk1NDE%3D.jpg

http://www.we-todd-did-racing.com/wetoddimage.wtdr/wNzk2NzY0NnM0MTNkZmQzMXk1NDE%3D.jpg

Since oil and grease tends to attract dirt I guess I better find a way to mount my Greddy catch can some how.

vtluu
02-23-2005, 01:52 AM
:shock: I'm curious, how many miles on your car?

DB8GSR
02-23-2005, 06:08 AM
:shock: I'm curious, how many miles on your car?

I'm with tam. That's a little too much oil coming out from the valve breather. When I installed my catch can at 12k with 1 track day, I only saw a thin gook, dried of oil film around the compressor housing. I just basically wiped it with ease.

I would run a compressor check and a leak down test on all the cylinders just to be in the safe side.

or

I can meet up and race you from a roll. If you fall behind bus lengths, then there's definitely a problem. :twisted: :roll: :cry: j/k

warpspeed
02-23-2005, 09:36 AM
I have about 15K but I don't have a catch can. Not really sure if all this came from the breather because I have a K&N drop in also. I remember that on some K&N, since we have forced induction, it would suck some of the oil from the filter. Since you said you had some thin "gook" after installing your catch can and one track day, it seems like it's normal. Maybe I'll do a compression check today since I have nothing to do an keep you guys updated.

TarmacAttack
02-24-2005, 04:00 AM
I think on the original hose that goes from the breather fitting to the stock intake hose, there's a check valve or something in that hose so that doesn't happen. I might be wrong though.

Matz
03-11-2005, 07:14 AM
I had about 16k of miles (in stock form), and Tyler at WORKS caught the same problem with my car. He also recommended an oil catch can. Are they all pretty much the same thing? Anything that looks nice, but cheap? :D

warpspeed
03-11-2005, 10:34 AM
I've seen some on Ebay for like $60. They all pretty much do the same thing. the only difficult thing is to find a good place to mount them unless of course you have a mini battery. But also since some of the popos are getting more and more informed with what's legal or not (catch can not smog legal) you might have to mount it where you can't easily see it.

mrprotocols
03-11-2005, 10:38 AM
Ye, I been trying to figure out where to put the catch before getting one... =).. I see people got it install by the battery or the intake, but they all have either the aftermarket intake or smaller battery... If anyone know where is a good place to install it, please let me know =).

BayAreasFinest
03-11-2005, 10:59 AM
someone pls take my catch can.. I've taken it out of my car... Its in great.. I actually mounted mine on the passenger side shock tower, there's a bolt that some other bracket is connected to... The catch can I have is from Logic Performance and I will sell it for $45.00 shipped... *sorry to hijack the thread*

SouthernCrane
03-11-2005, 11:08 AM
I think I'll try to make a home made catch can to the size i want. I don't see how the catch can would not be legal since it is still being routed back into the intake........ :?

warpspeed
03-11-2005, 11:13 AM
I think I'll try to make a home made catch can to the size i want. I don't see how the catch can would not be legal since it is still being routed back into the intake........ :?
I would like to explain why it's not legal besides not having a C.A.R.B # but it would take alot of typing. Look for me at the next meet Bryan and I'll try and clear it up. It's been awhile I was a smog tech. and the laws hasn't changed that much.

carbonevo8
03-11-2005, 01:01 PM
i have changed about 6 intakes on evos and ive noticed this on about 4 of the 6 evos. they all had different miles and were all different years. even the stock intake showed this problem. i would sugest a oil catch can it would obviously fix this problem. it looks like someone at mitsubishi fell asleep behind the wheel again if you ask me. :x oh yeah good pictures by the way they help descibe this problem perfectly

TylerO@WORKS
03-18-2005, 07:46 PM
On the hundreds of P2 installs i've done, almost every intake boot and turbo inlet is covered in nasty oil.

Get oil catch cans... otherwise it will fill up your charge pipes over time, yuck!

Evo_xTSi
03-18-2005, 09:11 PM
do I hear a group buy anyone? :P

twEeker
03-18-2005, 11:18 PM
I'm down. Lets get a nice one too.

mrprotocols
03-19-2005, 12:34 AM
do I hear a group buy anyone? :P

Ye, let's do it... I am down for it.... Maybe do a poll to see which catch can most people perfer to get first =)

EVO GRIM
03-19-2005, 08:49 AM
This is the nicest I've seen. Don't know if having it up high is bad?

http://www.lancershop.com/product_image.php?imageid=110

EvoVIII
03-19-2005, 09:46 AM
acutally the catch can should mounted lower or Level with the outlet, if it's higher, the extra Oil would have a hard time traveling or even couldn't get to the catch can since it have to travel upward instead of downward

Black_EVO
03-19-2005, 10:21 AM
Count me in too.
Cusco - My vote

BUDLoNG
03-19-2005, 06:25 PM
"Get oil catch cans... otherwise it will fill up your charge pipes over time, yuck!"

is there a legal alternative?
BUDLoNG

Evo_xTSi
03-19-2005, 08:03 PM
Who has done a group buy before? I'm so down if this gets set up!

carbonevo8
03-19-2005, 10:43 PM
ill try talking to a shop tomorrow and see if we can do a groupbuy. what brand do you guys want to use i like the cusco or the greddy. i love the arc but its very pricey

twEeker
03-19-2005, 11:56 PM
The helix can is pretty nice, and it's also one of the cheaper ones. $75 as opposed to $119-$300. Of course a group buy price should be cheaper.

http://www.gruppe-s.com/Specials/hel_catchcan.jpg

EvoVIII
03-20-2005, 12:20 AM
but there is no good place to mount the Helix catch can

SJCoruja
03-20-2005, 01:07 AM
If you all do decide to go with the Weapon R, I can probably set up a group buy with Leo there. I had the chance to speak with him a lot at the WR BBQ, and he seems really cool and was very interested in offering products to the Evo community.

Matz
03-21-2005, 06:56 PM
If you all do decide to go with the Weapon R, I can probably set up a group buy with Leo there. I had the chance to speak with him a lot at the WR BBQ, and he seems really cool and was very interested in offering products to the Evo community.

Bummer, I just ordered one and in fact got it today! I'll try to install it this weekend. Let me know if you guys want me to take notes on the installation, which appears to be simple.

Evo_xTSi
03-22-2005, 04:54 PM
ill try talking to a shop tomorrow and see if we can do a groupbuy. what brand do you guys want to use i like the cusco or the greddy. i love the arc but its very pricey

Did you get anything going? :bump:

1stSAGE
03-22-2005, 06:50 PM
I've been looking for a good catch can also. Having trouble finding one with easy fitment. Count me in for the group buy if we decide on something nice!

carbonevo8
03-23-2005, 09:36 AM
well i talked it over with the owner and he said that he can do the greddy catch can for $84 dollars shipped to your door. this includes the lines and all the mounting hardware. if you guys dont like the greddy and want something different then let me know. we never really agreed on a catch can so i just picked one. but either way let me know.

redvolution
03-28-2005, 02:38 PM
Don't bother with a store-bought catch can - make your own. I did it using a 5 micron air-tool filter from Home Depot ($12) and fuel-hose line.

DnB_design
03-28-2005, 02:41 PM
Don't bother with a store-bought catch can - make your own. I did it using a 5 micron air-tool filter from Home Depot ($12) and fuel-hose line.

Any pic's so I can make my own?

1stSAGE
03-28-2005, 03:47 PM

Any pic's so I can make my own?

yeah some pics would be awesome!

stockEVO8
03-28-2005, 04:30 PM
i have the CUSCO one and the oil deposits by the intake pipe is gone.... 8)

MadStylez707
03-31-2005, 12:29 AM
okay, i don't know too much about oil catch cans. all i know is that it collects excess oil and reduces junk on the pipes...however, what happens when there's alot of oil on the catch can itself? does it go somewhere else in the engine or do we have to change it out, like a regular oil change?..someone wanna elaborate here?

evo_dadi
03-31-2005, 12:41 AM
yup you have to empty it :D

Evo_xTSi
04-01-2005, 07:31 PM
well i talked it over with the owner and he said that he can do the greddy catch can for $84 dollars shipped to your door. this includes the lines and all the mounting hardware. if you guys dont like the greddy and want something different then let me know. we never really agreed on a catch can so i just picked one. but either way let me know.

Sorry I'm a little slow to get back to this thread. I almost forgot about it! That sounds good to me. What is the minimum purchase amount(how many do we need to buy)?

warpspeed
04-03-2005, 01:26 PM
Actually if you look in ebay, you can get some replicas that does the same job as the expensive ones:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&rd=1&item=7965627384&category=6778