PDA

View Full Version : Cleaning suede interior... how are YOU doing it?

SavageEvo8
08-19-2008, 09:33 AM
ok, so most of us have this suede wrapping our seats, so my question to you guys is what method and/or products are you using to both freshen up, and remove spills made by babies and such :) the reason why im worrying now is cuz as it ages, i notice it is lossing it "feel", so im just trying to maintain it a little and try and bring some back.

if you have any input Leo that would be great too! TIA!

steevo8
08-19-2008, 09:58 AM
When I had a car with decent interior I would use this suede shoe cleaner stuff.. Spray, scrub, dab. Its just the stuff that footlocker sells. Worked pretty good for me.

SavageEvo8
08-19-2008, 10:02 AM
thinking outside the box. thats what i like about you steve. :) good idea!

ChuckP
08-19-2008, 10:09 AM
dish soap and warm water has always worked well on the alcantra for me.

SavageEvo8
08-19-2008, 10:09 AM
i just worry about water sometimes. its easy to damage suede with it. i wipe down the seats usually with a damp rag, but i actually need to clean them this time. kids juice cups and snacks have left a few spots that are driving me crazy. my car is usually 100% spotless, so time to bring it back.

JERRY
08-19-2008, 11:08 AM
Damn, does anyone know how to get gum off the seats? My girlfriend's IS has the same stuff, and one nihgt we drove my retarded drunk friend home. He was sitting on the curb before we loaded him in, and was apparently sitting on a piece of gum, which is now firmly stuck to the seat. I got most of it off, but there's still some there that's pissing me off.

Jerry

ChuckP
08-19-2008, 11:36 AM
Damn, does anyone know how to get gum off the seats? My girlfriend's IS has the same stuff, and one nihgt we drove my retarded drunk friend home. He was sitting on the curb before we loaded him in, and was apparently sitting on a piece of gum, which is now firmly stuck to the seat. I got most of it off, but there's still some there that's pissing me off.

Jerry

Yeah. Freeze it with an icecube, flake it off.

JERRY
08-19-2008, 11:43 AM

Jerry

Yeah. Freeze it with an icecube, flake it off.

oh snap, that actually works? It's worth a shot, I'll try it tonight.

Jerry

steevo8
08-19-2008, 11:48 AM
Peanut butter? :lol:

turbotiger
08-19-2008, 11:53 AM
Peanut butter? :lol:

Then you need gum to get the peanut butter off!
:lol:

dl_EVO
08-19-2008, 12:05 PM

Jerry

Tell your retarded friend to clean it...

SavageEvo8
08-19-2008, 12:34 PM
freezing sounds like a great idea for that. i would say soak up the melted water ASAP though.

ZK
08-19-2008, 01:00 PM
Diluted woollite solution and rub with a towel.

JERRY
08-19-2008, 01:04 PM

Jerry

Tell your retarded friend to clean it...

No, he tried to help work on my girlfriend's bike to make up for the gum, and ended up spilling oil all over the garage floor. I told him after that he was not allowed to work on anything or do shit around us except to sit there and keep his hands in his pockets.

Jerry

ChuckP
08-19-2008, 01:08 PM
freezing sounds like a great idea for that. i would say soak up the melted water ASAP though.

Not a problem if the ice is in a bag...

SavageEvo8
08-19-2008, 01:09 PM
just looses a few degrees thru the plastic

ChuckP
08-19-2008, 01:15 PM
just looses a few degrees thru the plastic

celsius or fahrenheit...

SavageEvo8
08-19-2008, 01:25 PM
:)

Evo Jai
08-19-2008, 05:48 PM
Well with the ice in the bag, wouldn't that cause condensation.. in other words getting the seats wet? That's the last thing you want, is suede to get wet.

Sounds crazy but I once had gum stuck on my shoe and what worked was oil. But then again shoes are a totally different material..

ChuckP
08-19-2008, 08:16 PM
Well with the ice in the bag, wouldn't that cause condensation.. in other words getting the seats wet? That's the last thing you want, is suede to get wet.

The seats are partially covered with alcantara (not suede). So no, condensation is not a problem.

http://www.alcantara.com/en/experience/manutenzione/smacchiatura/smacchiatura.shtml

SavageEvo8
08-20-2008, 08:17 AM
ah, excellent find! thanks!

miss.evo
08-20-2008, 09:26 AM
For the gum on suede problem...

Remove Chewing Gum Stains From:
Suede

Very carefully scrape to remove excess. Gently rub an artgum eraser over the remaining substance. If any stain remains, cautiously rub the spot with an emery board or extra fine (number 000) sandpaper. In either case, you are removing a fine layer of the hide, so work slowly and carefully.

This excerpt must have been saved from one of those how-to websites or something. But I tried it in my old car and it worked fine. Didn't have to resort to the sandpaper.

Tripperfx3
08-21-2008, 11:40 PM
Diluted woollite solution and rub with a towel.

Thats worked wonders for me!

DetailAddict
08-22-2008, 07:23 AM
You should clean suede only with products recommended for suede leather rather than just using a general leather cleaner. Vinegar or soap may also be used to clean suede in some cases, but you should always test any cleaning products on an area of the suede item that does not show. Suede stains very easily, so the best way to avoid having to clean suede constantly is by spraying on a good protective spray made exclusively for suede leather.

A suede eraser or a pencil eraser is a good item to have on hand when you clean suede. A suede eraser is a block-shaped cleaning tool made for cleaning suede. The cleaner in the eraser forms crumb-like particles that help to get under the surface of the suede to lift up ground-in soil. A dried stain may come out of suede if you apply pressure with a pencil eraser, or a suede eraser.

DetailAddict
08-22-2008, 07:24 AM
for the gum... freeze it. :)

SavageEvo8
08-22-2008, 07:32 AM
another helpful hint.... thanks leo!

DetailAddict
08-22-2008, 07:35 AM
np, sorry that i didn't see this thread until now... I just added notification to this section so I'll see an email with any new thread/post in here. Don't know why I didn't do that earlier. :(

ChuckP
08-22-2008, 09:14 AM
np, sorry that i didn't see this thread until now... I just added notification to this section so I'll see an email with any new thread/post in here. Don't know why I didn't do that earlier. :(

i got a question if you dont mind. I got a couple spots on my trunk where i let some bird crap sit too long. Now i have these dull spots where it ate through the clear. I tried some Poorboys polishing agents by hand with no luck...Any advice. I dont have a porter cable or anything like that, all has to be done by hand. TIA

DetailAddict
08-22-2008, 09:29 AM
Hey, you want to start a new thread in this section so I can answer it there? This way it would be easier for other folks to see. Thanks! :)

i got a question if you dont mind. I got a couple spots on my trunk where i let some bird crap sit too long. Now i have these dull spots where it ate through the clear. I tried some Poorboys polishing agents by hand with no luck...Any advice. I dont have a porter cable or anything like that, all has to be done by hand. TIA

SavageEvo8
08-22-2008, 09:41 AM
good call leo. :)

ChuckP
08-22-2008, 09:42 AM
Hey, you want to start a new thread in this section so I can answer it there? This way it would be easier for other folks to see. Thanks! :)

Yes sir.
http://www.norcalevo.net/forum/index.php/topic,33050.0.html