PDA

View Full Version : Stainless Steel clutch line

warpspeed
02-02-2004, 08:41 PM
Hello guys. I am about to change my clutch line to the stainless steel one. One thing...leave out the restrictor or not. there has been alot of arguements about this.

thanks

ez76
02-03-2004, 12:24 AM
in my opinion the clutch restrictor is the condom of the drivetrain - safety at the expense of some sensitivity

i don't miss it. i also don't do the kind of launches with my car that would make the restrictor a good idea to keep. i appreciate the reduced engagement lag. it makes timing the pedal substantially easier.

EvolvedDSM
02-03-2004, 02:54 AM
I've always taken out the restrictor. The stock clutch will still be "weak" enough to act as a shock absorber for the rest of the drivetrain.

jstockdale
02-03-2004, 05:27 AM
Stainless Steel Clutch Line + Aftermarket Clutch = :)

If your putting in a Stage 2 or higher clutch, and you take out the restrictor, well ... let's just say you better know how to drive _very_ well because one* bad drop and you just blew a tranny.

I don't really see the need for taking out the restrictor if you go with a better clutch.

-S ...

EDIT: * Ok so one drop might be a little excessive, but I'm just saying it's a risky idea. Whether or not your tranny actually gives out depends on many factors. A stock Evo is obviously going to have less chance of killing a tranny than a 350whp Evo.

chris
02-04-2004, 11:29 PM
does it hurt if i do leave it on. i want to be safe than sorry hehe =D. purchasing one soon.

howiEVO8
02-04-2004, 11:31 PM
i got mines already, i just haven't put it on yet cuz they wanted to charge me $75 bucks..bah

chris
02-04-2004, 11:38 PM
i wonder how much GBmotorsports is gonna do it for us for?

howiEVO8
02-04-2004, 11:40 PM
i can prolly get it done for $50 bucks if anyone is willing to drive down to socal lolz

EvolvedDSM
02-04-2004, 11:52 PM
I'll do them for $20 if you want to make the trip here ;)

chris
02-05-2004, 12:02 AM
wheres vacaville? up north or down south?

EvolvedDSM
02-05-2004, 12:04 AM
North--halfway between SF and Sac.

howiEVO8
02-05-2004, 01:17 PM
I'll do them for $20 if you want to make the trip here ;)

where ya live?

nebolic
02-05-2004, 01:31 PM
its closer to sacramento than it is to SF

ytsejam
02-05-2004, 02:50 PM
evolved: i might have you do mine ;)

JanSolo
02-05-2004, 02:56 PM
i wonder how much GBmotorsports is gonna do it for us for?

First they have to contact me so we can work out all the details. :) So far, they have not proven to be very "chatty".

howiEVO8
02-05-2004, 03:02 PM
that's when u say give them the X buzz "wrong answer" lolz

and say nnnnnnnnnnnnnnneeeeextttt

EvolvedDSM
02-05-2004, 03:25 PM
evolved: i might have you do mine ;)

Just let me know :)

ytsejam
02-05-2004, 05:12 PM
evolved: i will
can you actually elaborate more on what advantages i can get from switching to SS line?

EvolvedDSM
02-05-2004, 06:15 PM
There are many write-ups about it on evolutionm.net, but it's basically the ability to keep from expanding under pressure that gives it an advantage. The stock line is made of rubber and while it is pretty thick-walled, it has the potential to expand (which can also vary with temperature). This expansion causes some excessive pedal effort and doesn't communicate well with the left foot. The SS cuts down on the possibility of flexing and gives you a better overall feel of engagement, etc... The restrictor removal adds to the feel and can allow for a wee bit more initial bite.

While I have no proof and the "feel" aspect can be questionable, I've done this for years on my DSMs and is the first thing I did to my EVO. It's the same reasoning that people (including myself) switch over to SS brake lines--better communication and control.

ytsejam
02-05-2004, 06:24 PM
i c...thx for the info

thomas
02-09-2004, 08:10 PM
There are many write-ups about it on evolutionm.net, but it's basically the ability to keep from expanding under pressure that gives it an advantage. The stock line is made of rubber and while it is pretty thick-walled, it has the potential to expand (which can also vary with temperature). This expansion causes some excessive pedal effort and doesn't communicate well with the left foot. The SS cuts down on the possibility of flexing and gives you a better overall feel of engagement, etc... The restrictor removal adds to the feel and can allow for a wee bit more initial bite.

While I have no proof and the "feel" aspect can be questionable, I've done this for years on my DSMs and is the first thing I did to my EVO. It's the same reasoning that people (including myself) switch over to SS brake lines--better communication and control.

thx for explaining that.

ytsejam
02-09-2004, 08:13 PM
i already said thx, thomas...read my reply !

hahahahah homeboy!

ytsejam
02-09-2004, 08:14 PM
hey thomas:

Off Topic: I've had my 2 NorcalEvo.net decals on...WHOOHOO

thomas
02-09-2004, 08:18 PM
yo ytsejam, get back on topic fool!o...haha :roll:

yea, so ss clutch line is like ss brake line, less expansion more response, from the driver.

hey evovled dsm, how long does it take for the install?

ps nice pic :wink:

ytsejam
02-09-2004, 08:20 PM
;) yeah my new gf...whaddya think?

and yeah less expansion from deezzzz....

thomas
02-09-2004, 08:27 PM
;) yeah my new gf...whaddya think?

and yeah less expansion from deezzzz....

nutsssssssss...

EvolvedDSM
02-10-2004, 08:10 AM
yo ytsejam, get back on topic fool!o...haha :roll:

yea, so ss clutch line is like ss brake line, less expansion more response, from the driver.

hey evovled dsm, how long does it take for the install?

ps nice pic :wink:

Install usually takes about half an hour or so. It depends on how much of a PITA that master cylinder bolt wants to be, but I think I've got just the right tool now ;)

evo_dadi
02-15-2004, 05:43 PM
but I think I've got just the right tool now ;)

and that right tool would be.... :P cmon man let out with the info for the diy guys :D :D

EvolvedDSM
02-15-2004, 06:25 PM
http://www.columbusdsm.com/forum/files/flexwrench.jpg

I've been using Gearwrenches for a while and love them. Then I ran across the ones with the flexible head :) I actually got to use it yesterday when I rerouted my SS clutch line and it worked like a charm. Granted, it was still a tight fit, but no more worrying about whether or not your gonna strip that bolt before you get it loose/snug enough ;).

BTW you can usually find them at Sears, but can also order them online.

evo_dadi
02-15-2004, 07:53 PM
yeah ive seen those on sears but i havent seen much guys use those and most of them still stick with the old school open ones. i guess i gotta to go take a trip to sears one of these days.thx btw.

LEVIII
09-14-2004, 10:14 PM
Im getting ready to install my SS line but I am now wondering what and where the restrictor is??

500whp
09-15-2004, 12:32 AM
You should take it out! its one of the easiest mods you can do for ur car!

Take out batter! use a long 17mm unbolt the the line from 1 side, 10mm from the other side. remember the fluids in the line will leak. then follow the metal line and that that piece out. thats where the restrictor is at! take off the bleeder. i think there might be a bolt on the other side, but yeah its in there, just push it out w/ something thin.

Now the hardest part to install the line is putting the line on! A trick that i learned from installing 5-6 lines is to use a zip tie on the end. make the line a U shape, and as tight as possible!

Dont forget to bleed the line!!!!!!!

If you need have any questions please contact me! i have the lines and fluids =)

vtluu
09-15-2004, 01:36 AM
Im getting ready to install my SS line but I am now wondering what and where the restrictor is??
Excellent SS clutch line install how-to here, including restrictor removal (steps 8-10):

http://www.evomoto.com/tech_info.php?tPath=3_4&tech_id=4

I did the install but elected not to remove the restrictor at the time; I may yet do so...

I remember talking with an ACT rep at Rim of the World this summer, and his recommendation was not to remove the restrictor, but bore it out just a bit.

MarkSAE
10-09-2004, 05:46 PM
I just took out my clutch restrictor and I have to admit that this is one of the best mods I've done to my car to improve driveability! I already had a SS line before this. I can shift so much faster now w/o having to worry about grinding or notchy shifting. If you know how to properly launch AWD cars, then I highly recommend this mod!

BTW, I'm still using the original, 11k mile, tranny fluid and I couldn't be happier now. :D

david buschur
10-11-2004, 10:31 AM
We have these lines instock for $35. They do make a pretty decent difference.

Curt Brown just ran 11.59 at 120 mph with the stock turbo, head, shortblock and clutch with our Stg 4, EMS and sheetmetal intake.

Good modification.

David Buschur
www.buschurracing.com