PDA

View Full Version : Carbon Fiber Clear Coats

MaxKanisha
08-22-2008, 10:01 AM
I was wondering if you can wax the clear coats on carbon fiber. I heard that if you do, the clear coat of the carbon fiber eventually turns yellow and/or fades. Clarification would be great, thanks in advance.

DetailAddict
08-22-2008, 10:03 AM
I haven't had any problem with it. CF itself oxidate very easily however. Keep up the cleaning and polish then you should fine.

MaxKanisha
08-22-2008, 10:14 AM
I was reading up on car detailing.. And isnt polishing when you remove a small layer of clear coat?

DetailAddict
08-22-2008, 10:17 AM
yes, polish does 'cut', but depending on what you use, it can be SUPER fine. You would have to worry about clay more than polish.

I was reading up on car detailing.. And isnt polishing when you remove a small layer of clear coat?

MaxKanisha
08-22-2008, 10:36 AM
So would it be clean, polish then wax? And what products do you recommend for the carbon fiber clear coats?

DetailAddict
08-22-2008, 10:43 AM
yes, clean/wash, polish, then wax

for sever condition, use these

(Adam's Polishes - Swirl & Haze Remover 16oz CD-005 $19.95) (http://www.detailaddict.com/product_info.php?products_id=38)
(Adam's Polishes - Revive Polish 16oz CD-004 $19.95) (http://www.detailaddict.com/product_info.php?products_id=37)

for upkeep

(Adam's Polishes - Fine Machine Polish 16oz CD-017 $24.95) (http://www.detailaddict.com/product_info.php?products_id=41)

for upkeep no machine

(Adam's Polishes - Revive Polish 16oz CD-004 $19.95) (http://www.detailaddict.com/product_info.php?products_id=37)

MaxKanisha
08-22-2008, 10:54 AM
Looks good! :D

But what do you suggest with claybar usage? Soapy water or quick detailing spray? I heard you can use either or.

DetailAddict
08-22-2008, 11:02 AM
don't use soap water, it drys up the clay. use quick detail spray instead...

if you are local, you can pick them up from me. or my retailers (http://www.detailaddict.com/index.php?cPath=2).

MaxKanisha
08-22-2008, 11:05 AM
Damn Dublin would be the closest to Sacramento, and thats STILL far. :lol:

Thanks for the heads up on the soapy water and claybar.. So when is clay no longer usable? When you cant knead a clean side of the claybar or what? My claybar is still brand new haha but my friend goes through claybars like nothing.

chefnevo
08-22-2008, 11:14 AM
Hey Leo are going to drop by the dyno next saturday I would like a demo of the glass cleaning you were talking about and what are some good leather and suede cleaner products.

DetailAddict
08-22-2008, 11:17 AM
I can always ship, not a problem. remember to use the 'nce' promo code for 10% discount.

when you see contaminant after one fold, it's done. if you drop it on the floor, it's done. they don't usually dry up, rather fall apart. keep them in ziplock or plastic wrap and store it in the container it came with.

Damn Dublin would be the closest to Sacramento, and thats STILL far. :lol:

Thanks for the heads up on the soapy water and claybar.. So when is clay no longer usable? When you cant knead a clean side of the claybar or what? My claybar is still brand new haha but my friend goes through claybars like nothing.

DetailAddict
08-22-2008, 11:18 AM
i'll be there, but you'll have to try to fine me. Better yet, just call me when you are there... :) however, I might not be there for the entire day... just late morning and early afternoon. :)

Hey Leo are going to drop by the dyno next saturday I would like a demo of the glass cleaning you were talking about and what are some good leather and suede cleaner products.

MaxKanisha
08-22-2008, 11:31 AM
Late morning huh? Will you be detailing that day as well? :D

--anonimuz
08-22-2008, 11:31 AM
aw damn I don't know if it's just my computer or I posted in the wrong thread...

but anyways:

DetailAddict ,
Is it ok to claybar my car once a year? my car is in the garage most of the time and i also wax it every 6 months... is this too much?

by the way, like mentioned I have waxed and claybar'd my car and my CF trunk and hood still look good! (considering they're more than 2 years old)..

DetailAddict
08-22-2008, 11:34 AM
you should only clay when you need to. how do you know? after a good wash then run your CLEAN hand down the body... If you feel little bumps, clay...

aw damn I don't know if it's just my computer or I posted in the wrong thread...

but anyways:

DetailAddict ,
Is it ok to claybar my car once a year? my car is in the garage most of the time and i also wax it every 6 months... is this too much?

by the way, like mentioned I have waxed and claybar'd my car and my CF trunk and hood still look good! (considering they're more than 2 years old)..

DetailAddict
08-22-2008, 11:35 AM
sorry, no detailing that day... I'll be there because Jeff told me about it and ask if I could demo some stuff before the purchase. I won't be there as a vendor, just a friend helping out another friend. ;)

Leo

Late morning huh? Will you be detailing that day as well? :D

MaxKanisha
08-22-2008, 11:40 AM
Awww, its cool, I'll get to meet the master detailer. :D

DetailAddict
08-22-2008, 11:52 AM
I just got invited to a BBQ event on the same day... I have to make a decision... One in Hayward and one in San Leandro... :(

Awww, its cool, I'll get to meet the master detailer. :D

DetailAddict
08-22-2008, 11:53 AM
here is the BBQ.... Maybe you guys can come over after the dyno? ;) http://www.norcalevo.net/forum/index.php/topic,32646.0.html

MaxKanisha
09-08-2008, 12:06 PM
Do you recommend a clear bra on carbon fiber parts? I was thinking about getting a carbon fiber hood and lip, and then getting a clear bra to prevent rock chip damage and what not. But my only concern would be how to clean the carbon fiber under the bra. Would it oxidize even though there is a clear bra on top of it? Would there be any way to clean it?

ZK
09-08-2008, 01:18 PM
The clear bra is breathable. You won't need to clean anything under the clear bra - it won't get dirty or oxidize.

The haziness you see on carbon fiber parts is the crappy clear coat they use changing color or the layers seperating.

MaxKanisha
09-08-2008, 01:39 PM
So putting a clear bra will prevent the haziness and the yellowing effects of the clear coat on the carbon fiber?

ZK
09-08-2008, 02:52 PM
No .. it won't prevent it. But it will prevent rock chips and scratches. Clear bra material has some UV protection but it's not much.

If your clear coat on carbon fiber is yellowing and hazy, the problem is the clear coat or the carbon fiber itself. Get it replaced or fixed first.

MaxKanisha
09-08-2008, 03:30 PM
Oh well what I was thinking was getting a clear bra RIGHT AFTER I get those parts installed. I was just wondering about the upkeep in keeping the CF looking clean after getting the clear bra installed. Should I do anything to the CF before putting the clear bra on?

ZK
09-08-2008, 04:00 PM
No, there should be nothing to do after you install it.