PDA

View Full Version : For those with tinted windows

twEeker
02-26-2005, 11:31 PM
I just got my windows tinted 15% all around, which is pretty dark, and then I got a fix it ticket the next day. Just curious who has tinted windows, how dark are they, and have you gotten any tickets. I usually drive with the windows down, but since I just got em done, I can't roll them down for a couple for days. It looks really hot, but I might have to get rid of at least the tint on the front 2 windows.

egui42
02-26-2005, 11:46 PM
1. 35% Tint in the front, and limo on the back windows.
2. Yes, got a fix it ticket after having them for a year.

1stSAGE
02-27-2005, 12:00 AM
20% all around and I've had it for about 2 months now.

Got pulled over once while I had my windows down, he said I had tinted windows but never asked me to roll them up, he just told me to remove them and let me go. *knock on wood*

Maldo
02-27-2005, 12:27 AM
50% up front... 15% in the rear.... I think the difference makes it appear as though the fronts aren't tinted...

Bullet
02-27-2005, 12:29 AM
I have 35% in the front and 5% in the back...

warpspeed
02-27-2005, 11:35 AM
I am not being a jerk but you should have checked what the law concerning tinted windows because it could have save you a little money(meaning, is cheaper to tint only the back and two sides then all around). In Cali. we can't have the driver's side window tinted but the rest is okay. It's kinda dumb because a car would look funny if everything else is tinted and the driver's side is not. But there is a way to get around it. :wink:

twEeker
02-27-2005, 02:27 PM
I was well aware of the legality issues before I got it tinted, I just decided to take my chances. I'm just curious if being ticketed for the tinted windows is more common then I'v heard of. I'm planning on keeping the tint, unless I get hassled nonstop.

Mo Evo
02-28-2005, 12:51 AM
I'm a window tinter by trade. My Evo has 5% limo on the rear, 20% on the rear doors and 35% on the front roll-ups. California state law dictates no darker than 70% on the front roll-ups. If you get popped for illegal front tint, there's little known loop-hole...have a note from your doctor/eye doctor saying you must be shaded from the sun's uv rays and keep it with you at all times. Should you be stopped DURING THE DAYTIME, it is legal to have tint darker than the law allows. Just don't let on that you actually drive at night!! The CHP WILL stop you for tint only. If you see one patroling around you, roll one front window all the way down. This will make the other window look lighter than it really is. And NEVER have the window half way down, as you can clearly see the difference. Be aware that some CHP are now carrying meters that can tell what percentage you actually have on the glass, so if your dark, your SOL! If you want tint, a safe way to go would be 35% on the rear 5 windows and 55% on the front roll-ups. And you can tint only the top 4 inches of the windshield. If anyone needs more info, just pm me.

Mo

chris
02-28-2005, 01:06 AM
i have 50% front, 35% back. so far no tickets and had tinting for the last 8 months *knock on wood*

cmydust
02-28-2005, 09:07 PM
I have limo tint all around the back and none on the front due to the tinting guy saying that he has a couple ppl bringing their cars back to take the tint off because they got ticketed for it...he said that the fine was couple hundred. Can you please update us as to what the fine is?..Im interested as to what it actually is.

twEeker
02-28-2005, 11:22 PM
Will do. The cop said it would be here in a week or so. I like to drive with the windows down even in cold wether anyways, and if you see a cop, just roll down the windows. I would have been driving with the windows down the night I got a ticket, but I got it done the night before, and couldn't. I'm keeping it, I'll take my chances. My evo looks hot with the even tint all around.

threepointsix
03-02-2005, 03:17 PM
I'm a window tinter by trade. My Evo has 5% limo on the rear, 20% on the rear doors and 35% on the front roll-ups. California state law dictates no darker than 70% on the front roll-ups. If you get popped for illegal front tint, there's little known loop-hole...have a note from your doctor/eye doctor saying you must be shaded from the sun's uv rays and keep it with you at all times. Should you be stopped DURING THE DAYTIME, it is legal to have tint darker than the law allows. Just don't let on that you actually drive at night!! The CHP WILL stop you for tint only. If you see one patroling around you, roll one front window all the way down. This will make the other window look lighter than it really is. And NEVER have the window half way down, as you can clearly see the difference. Be aware that some CHP are now carrying meters that can tell what percentage you actually have on the glass, so if your dark, your SOL! If you want tint, a safe way to go would be 35% on the rear 5 windows and 55% on the front roll-ups. And you can tint only the top 4 inches of the windshield. If anyone needs more info, just pm me.

Mo

Good info for me sir. I am a Texas transplant and they(Texans) can go 30% now on fronts! Different states have different legel limits on 'eyebrows' if no marker(EVO VIII) In TX it is only 2-3 inches. 6" is pretty big on the eyebrow?? I had 20% all the way around on my white RS yesterday after leaving Omega tint next tint Vishnu. 5 minutes after leaving CHP had me on the shoulder of Hacienda!! I went back & had him rip it off asap! I will run 50-70% and no worries. Too bad EVOs bring the bad attention. My old AMG C class slammed on 18's ....NEVER got followed or pulled over & it was dark as F***. I figured the RS would keep me out of trouble...not so :cry:

Mo Evo
03-03-2005, 01:45 AM
I have limo tint all around the back and none on the front due to the tinting guy saying that he has a couple ppl bringing their cars back to take the tint off because they got ticketed for it...he said that the fine was couple hundred. Can you please update us as to what the fine is?..Im interested as to what it actually is.

The 'fine' as you put it depends on how the ticket was written up. If it's 26708A-tinted forward windows, it will most likely be around 30-50 bucks. If it's written up as blocked forward windows it will be more, but you can fight that one, as they are not 'blocked' persay. It is just a fix-it ticket, no points on your record. And hey, if you have any friends who are cops from any jurisdiction in California, buy 'em some donuts and they could sign it off for you!

I've been using a 55% on forward windows and not one customer has returned with a citation in hand.

Mo

threepointsix
03-04-2005, 09:02 AM

The 'fine' as you put it depends on how the ticket was written up. If it's 26708A-tinted forward windows, it will most likely be around 30-50 bucks. If it's written up as blocked forward windows it will be more, but you can fight that one, as they are not 'blocked' persay. It is just a fix-it ticket, no points on your record. And hey, if you have any friends who are cops from any jurisdiction in California, buy 'em some donuts and they could sign it off for you!

I've been using a 55% on forward windows and not one customer has returned with a citation in hand.

Mo

.....nice. Ill be looking into the 55% option soon after its 'fixed' Funny how I can go buy a litre of Jack Daniels at the grocery store, pierce my nose or buy bullets at WalMart, but I cant install 35% film on my $30,000 car! HAHA WTF is so cool about this country.

warpspeed
03-04-2005, 09:32 AM
Mo
.....nice. Ill be looking into the 55% option soon after its 'fixed' Funny how I can go buy a litre of Jack Daniels at the grocery store, pierce my nose or buy bullets at WalMart, but I cant install 35% film on my $30,000 car! HAHA WTF is so cool about this country.

Did you ever think of this one: You can buy any car you want but you have to have the states permission to drive it legally. :wink: How about this one: You can take the written driving test in different languages(meaning you can't understand english well) but everything on the road is in english. :wink:

MadStylez707
03-09-2005, 01:24 AM
60% on front roll-ups, and limo tint on the rears..no problems (knocks on wood) other than one incident where a cop stare at it for awhile waiting on a red light... :shock:

twEeker
03-23-2005, 04:00 PM
Can you please update us as to what the fine is?..Im interested as to what it actually is.

Just got the ticket today. If I remove the tint, and get it signed off, it's $10 even. If I don't remove the tint, and don't get it signed, it's $112.50. I plan on keeping the tint. Just a little update for you. The guy that tinted it might redo a couple windows because there are air bubbles, but the passenger side window itsn't too bad. If the guy redoes the whole thing, I might ask him to take off the tint, and then come back another time so I can get it signed off, and then put back on.

SJCoruja
03-23-2005, 04:08 PM
Can you please update us as to what the fine is?..Im interested as to what it actually is.

Just got the ticket today. If I remove the tint, and get it signed off, it's $10 even. If I don't remove the tint, and don't get it signed, it's $112.50. I plan on keeping the tint. Just a little update for you. The guy that tinted it might redo a couple windows because there are air bubbles, but the passenger side window itsn't too bad. If the guy redoes the whole thing, I might ask him to take off the tint, and then come back another time so I can get it signed off, and then put back on.

Or, if he has to redo one of the front, ask him how much to just do the other front again. All you have to do for the ticket to get signed off is have the 2 fronts clear.

threepointsix
03-27-2005, 12:19 AM
Anyone know if there is a place that does some type of chemical coating(like sunglasses or SUV glass) so you could show the cop that it isnt removable film. That would be the coolest thing. "sorry sir, it has 'factory' tint"

Mo Evo
03-27-2005, 11:05 PM
Anyone know if there is a place that does some type of chemical coating(like sunglasses or SUV glass) so you could show the cop that it isnt removable film. That would be the coolest thing. "sorry sir, it has 'factory' tint"

Uh-huh, trying that 'factory' angle won't work either. Once it's 'dipped' your stuck with it and that's if you can afford to do it that way. BIG bank. If you get a ticket and have to remove it, just buy all new glass cause that's the only way it's coming off!

Mo