PDA

View Full Version : so whats with the dealerships asking for over MSRP?

b0yw0nder
02-27-2005, 01:14 PM
I went to CAPITOL mitsu yesterday and the salesman and manager both said that they were not willing to let the EVO's go for less than 3000 over MSRP.

Steven's creek mitsu was willing to go MSRP but nothing less.

In this day and age, is it not even worth going to the dealership until you are ready to close the deal? Through the internet fleet managers, I was able to get 1.5% over invoice....

San Rafael was able to do about 800 under MSRP which is about 2.5% over invoice which is pretty good and I commend them for that. To be fair, that was done over e-mail and maybe I would have different results if I was to go down there in person.

I don't know...thats just a little rant. The subaru dealership on stevens creek also wanted 3K over MSRP and their internet dealer was about 2K less than MSRP.

1stSAGE
02-27-2005, 02:02 PM
That would explain why they have so many evo's on their lot at capital mitsubishi, hehe.

vtluu
02-27-2005, 11:26 PM
I was able to get mine for about $1500 below MSRP back in September of '03 when Evos were still fairly uncommon. Back then I think the price started out at $3000 over as well, but I got that right down to MSRP in an instant merely by pointing and laughing. ;)

TogueMonster
02-28-2005, 01:17 AM
First off, every manager is gonna say that he wont take less than the asking price. Especially if you are not in the showroom filling out paperwork. Lots of dealers add a mark up on thier cars, especially cars like the Evo, 350z, or limited production cars like the Mazda MP3. Yeah, if its rare, or has a hard to find color, like my Evo, the dealer is going to try like hell to get you for it. I found out that a guy tried to buy an Electric Blue 05 Evo like mine but they couldnt find one in Cali. They found one in Washington and the dealer wanted an extra $900, because of the color, just for a dealer trade for a White Evo. The guy ended up paying an additional $2,000 just to get the color. Usually car guys just want to see if someone will actually pay the mark up. You know how the game goes :lol: When I was a salesman, if I asked the right person the right way, they would pay the markup. Larger dealerships will "whore out" thier vehicles way cheaper than smaller dealerships. They rely more on the amount of sales per month than profits per sale. If youre looking for a great deal, find a big dealership that will sell for a bit over invoice like vtluu, smart buyer. Another trick is to go during the last day of the month, when salesmen are trying to hit quotas or bonuses. I just didnt want to deal with the drive or having to wait on shipping. So I bought in Fresno.

turbotiger
02-28-2005, 02:20 PM
I bought my MR for almost $1,500 less than MSRP.
You can get a good deal if you know how to bargain.

kimmievo
02-28-2005, 03:08 PM
I remember when Hayward Mitsu got their first Evo in...after the dealer mark-up, they wanted $45,000.00 for it. About a year later, I drove mine off the lot for $29,800. It's insane that dealerships try to get away with mark-ups like that.

Evo8andahalf
02-28-2005, 03:11 PM
I remember when Hayward Mitsu got their first Evo in...after the dealer mark-up, they wanted $45,000.00 for it. About a year later, I drove mine off the lot for $29,800. It's insane that dealerships try to get away with mark-ups like that.

thats about what i got for mine but 400 less

vtluu
02-28-2005, 03:18 PM
It's insane that dealerships try to get away with mark-ups like that.
It's capitalism; if you don't like it, move to Cuba! :nana: ;)

BluEvo
02-28-2005, 03:37 PM
i saw an RS advertised at $24,999 in the sunday paper at capital mitsu.

kimmievo
02-28-2005, 06:21 PM
It's insane that dealerships try to get away with mark-ups like that.
It's capitalism; if you don't like it, move to Cuba! :nana: ;)

Oh heck nah! I think I'll stay here, Capitalism and all! lol

RgistRdShowoff
06-15-2005, 06:57 PM
^.^ If you're young and pull into a dealership to browse the guys think "waste of time" and yet still approach.

I went to Fairfield Mitsu (i seriously don't like the parking system there) and was "greeted" by a dealer immediately. 30 seconds in i was annoyed and so was he. I'm 18 on a car lot. I just say I'm browsing. Asking for what, I say I'm just looking at Evos.......start the look of "you're wasting my time" from him. He says "Ok make yourself at home. Call me if you want to sit in any of the models." I think ok that's the end of him.

So I'm over at the EBlue Evo and he's walking over. I noticed that the ASilver Evo has a 18/26 gas mileage while the EBlue has a 19/26 (iono i found it weird) so i asked him. He didn't know....I'm thinking it's a misprint anyway. After about 5 minutes I'm annoyed with his lack of knowledge about his cars. It wasn't like I was expecting a test drive but I could be an envoy for my parents, ya know? He was kinda rude; short answers and giving me a skeptical look like "why are you here?". So I decide to end it there.

Oh yeah. Their EBlue Evo was like 36k and I couldn't find anything on the sticker that would make it that much....As far as I could see it was a plain GSR. Yeah. My rant. >.< don't Flame me plz. lol...seroiusly....I've had better encounters. I like the Internet managers more personally.