PDA

View Full Version : The Death Of My 18-55 kit lens...

DaveLC2
08-27-2008, 12:45 PM
The Bad -

Last Sunday I was at my buddy's in Healdsburg and I went to a winery where the bakery that my buddies wife works were celebrating 85yrs in business. I figured I'd take some shots while I was there. After taking only about 35 shots I received a bull shit call from work about some drama. I set my camera down on the park bench and took the call. When I returned I went to sit back down and the heel of my shoe caught the camera strap and flung the camera body and lens straight down and the side of the barrel struck the wood seat part and instantly busted stuff inside :x Everything was all loose inside. In the 2 plus years and 30k + shots this was the FIRST TIME I had EVER dropped my camera. The body landed on some soft bark. Well at least it's softer than concrete. The lens was complete shit after this and it was locked at 55mm. I had to spend the rest of the day shooting with my 70-300 :( The worst part of this is that I have some pregnancy pics to take and a trip to Apple Hill next weekend.

The Good -

So last night my wife & I went to Wolf's Camera in Pleasant Hill and I picked up the last Tamron 17-50 f/2.8 lens in stock and got a five year warranty :lol: All I got to say is that this lens in such an improvement over the kit lens. The build quality is far superior. Now I have to go back and take all my 30k + pictures over again :P I can't wait to take more pics with it. I will have to post some general pics a little later on.

Dave

steevo8
08-27-2008, 12:52 PM
Damn that bites man. Honestly though it's a blessing. The kit lens sucks in anything shy of good light.. Hopefully you'll have some new crispy shots with the new 2.8 Cant wait to see em.