PDA

View Full Version : Roll Cage Newbie

mikeski38
03-02-2005, 06:40 PM
Whats up? I have never seen a newbie board of a forum before, but since it is here I guess I had better post. I'm Mike Lock, some of you may know me SRM's roll cage guy. My company is called Calculated Risk, and I build SRM's cages. So if anyone out there wants a roll cage, call Oliver at SRM tuning, or if you can't reach him, you can call be directly at 831 801 6803.

I race a del sol in NASA's honda challenge, and I'm the cheif mechanic and fabricator for GOTO:Racing's #44 USTCC WRX. I had a great time hangin' out with some of you at T-hill last saturday. It was a bummer to see the two evo's roll over, luckily everyone was ok. Drive safe all!

vtluu
03-02-2005, 07:05 PM
Welcome Mike, yeah too bad about those Evos but at least one of them proved your great design and workmanship. As luck (or lack thereof) would have it, you couldn't have asked for a better real-life "with rollcage vs. without rollcage" comparison. Thankfully no-one got hurt, but it definitely got many Evo owners (including me) thinking about getting some kind of rollcage/rollbar setup.

The common opinion I've heard is that rollcages aren't suitable for daily driven cars because without a helmet, your head will smash like a melon against the cage in the event of an accident. Your expert thoughts on this?

I'm looking at a rollbar setup but I use the back seats to transport tires, and the solutions I've seen so far (notably Autopower) don't allow enough room to maneuver tires in and out of the back seats. I've heard some rollcages do, but aren't suitable for daily driving. I wonder if it would be possible to make a "half-cage" setup--basically like a full cage, but only with the main hoop and back (and later upgradeable to a full cage)--that would allow (cargo) acess to the back seats and be at least as effective as a rollbar?

Still trying to figure out how to have my cake and eat it too... ;)

mikeski38
03-02-2005, 07:35 PM
The common opinion I've heard is that rollcages aren't suitable for daily driven cars because without a helmet, your head will smash like a melon against the cage in the event of an accident. Your expert thoughts on this?

I'm looking at a rollbar setup but I use the back seats to transport tires, and the solutions I've seen so far (notably Autopower) don't allow enough room to maneuver tires in and out of the back seats. I've heard some rollcages do, but aren't suitable for daily driving. I wonder if it would be possible to make a "half-cage" setup--basically like a full cage, but only with the main hoop and back (and later upgradeable to a full cage)--that would allow (cargo) acess to the back seats and be at least as effective as a rollbar?

As far as the streetablility of a full roll cage, yes it is limited. But if you install the cheap roll bar padding, it is nice and soft and squishy. It isn't as effective in a racing accident, but as far as bumping your head on it, it is more comfortable then the fancy high density racer stuff.

As far as the useable rear seat, not to worry. I working on a solution right now for Oliver's car. The cage is ready to be installed, I just need a car to put it in. Oliver has been very busy running the new shop so he hasn't had the time to leave his car with me for 4 days or so. Call me if you want to talk about putting something in your car, I can keep the back seats useable with this new set up. 831 801 6803

evo_dadi
03-02-2005, 08:12 PM
this sounds good since i need my back seats also like what tam stated.hey mike by any chance you live here in santa cruz county?noticed you area code was 831 :D

mikeski38
03-02-2005, 10:17 PM
this sounds good since i need my back seats also like what tam stated.hey mike by any chance you live here in santa cruz county?noticed you area code was 831 :D

Funny, I just moved from Scotts valley to folsom. I graduated from SJSU in the fall with a BS in Aviation Design. If there is no way for you to get your car up to me in folsom, I can come pick it up, build the cage, and deliver it.

onesicklambo
03-03-2005, 06:11 PM
saw the cage in snores MR...very nice..and i dont agree that its "overbuilt". it did tweak in a few spots though. Oliver told me how your working on a cage that is removeable and you can use the back seat still. keep all door panels/headliner in tact? sounds pretty nice

mikeski38
03-03-2005, 07:13 PM
After seeing it after the accident, It certianly was not overbuilt. It did its job.

Yeah, I have a great solution for the serious track day enthusiast, who still want to be able to use their back seat. This cage will be a competition approved cage.

Evo442
03-05-2005, 08:43 AM
Hey Mike - FYI - I think the name of your company is Calculated Risk...

Check your sig. :wink:

hagakure
03-05-2005, 09:37 AM
I've got a "system" that allows me to fit an extra set of wheels and all my track-day gear intot he car with the autopower bar intact....2 wheels int he front seat, two in the trunk, and all my gear, including floor jack, etc, in the back seat....works.

Percy

Welcome Mike, yeah too bad about those Evos but at least one of them proved your great design and workmanship. As luck (or lack thereof) would have it, you couldn't have asked for a better real-life "with rollcage vs. without rollcage" comparison. Thankfully no-one got hurt, but it definitely got many Evo owners (including me) thinking about getting some kind of rollcage/rollbar setup.

vtluu
03-05-2005, 12:00 PM
I've got a "system" that allows me to fit an extra set of wheels and all my track-day gear intot he car with the autopower bar intact....2 wheels int he front seat, two in the trunk, and all my gear, including floor jack, etc, in the back seat....works.
Cool, that's exactly what I needed to know, thanks!

hagakure
03-05-2005, 12:08 PM
Glad to help.....
Also, I have an autopower bar installed, and it's a JOB....if you get one and need some help, I'm glad to lend a hand.

Peace.

Percy

vtluu
03-06-2005, 04:54 AM
Glad to help.....
Also, I have an autopower bar installed, and it's a JOB....if you get one and need some help, I'm glad to lend a hand.
Thanks. http://www.sandmracing.com/srollbar.html has a nice step-by-step install of the AutoPower bar in an ITR. I'm guessing the Evo install will be similar; it does indeed look like quite a job.

Mike, sorry didn't mean to hijack your thread. I'd be interested in a weld-in rollbar if it can be later augmented into a full cage; can you do something like that? Or would I be better off, if I just want a rollbar for now (I just don't think a cage is safe for daily driving), to get a bolt-in solution that I can later remove and replace with a full cage?

mikeski38
03-06-2005, 08:33 AM
Glad to help.....
Thanks. http://www.sandmracing.com/srollbar.html has a nice step-by-step install of the AutoPower bar in an ITR. I'm guessing the Evo install will be similar; it does indeed look like quite a job.

Mike, sorry didn't mean to hijack your thread. I'd be interested in a weld-in rollbar if it can be later augmented into a full cage; can you do something like that? Or would I be better off, if I just want a rollbar for now (I just don't think a cage is safe for daily driving), to get a bolt-in solution that I can later remove and replace with a full cage?

Not a problem about the highjacking. It is possible the augment a roll bar into a roll cage but the fitment of the A pillars would be poor. When properly installing a roll cage, you have to build the front section first, lower it through the floor so you can weld the top, then raise it back up, install the mounting plates, then the rear of the cage.

Now, you can do it out of order and have a roll bar before a cage,but you sacrifice about an inch at the top of the main hoop to give yourself room to weld. If you know you eventually want a cage, but think you need a roll bar now, I can install a bolt in roll bar (that fits better then the autopower) then at a later date, remove the roll bar and install a full roll cage. The bolt in roll bar should be easily sellable so you can recover some cost at that point. I will offer anyone who buys a one of my roll bars 10% off your cage when you are ready, but I won't turn a roll bar into a cage because the fitment I could achieve and have legal and safe welds at the top joints is not acceptable to me, and you wouldn't like it either.

Evo442
04-03-2005, 06:39 AM
This post is a bit late, but kudos to Mike at Calculated Risk on his high quality work. Beautiful welds and (unfortunately) a crash tested design. Really firmed up the chassis too. He's easy going, prompt, and got my cage done with a miniscule amount of down time.

Thanks Mike! Two thumbs up!

wilson1
04-03-2005, 10:23 AM
This post is a bit late, but kudos to Mike at Calculated Risk on his high quality work. Beautiful welds and (unfortunately) a crash tested design. Really firmed up the chassis too. He's easy going, prompt, and got my cage done with a miniscule amount of down time.

How about some pics! :D

dohcvtec
04-03-2005, 05:21 PM

How about some pics! :D
:werd: