PDA

View Full Version : stock intercooler spacing?

typhoon 28
09-12-2008, 09:40 PM
If some turbolovers complain about the heatsoak of a stock intercooler, why not take steps to cure that? I considered a crazy idea about putting little metal spacers between the mounting points of the intercooler to space it away from the hot radiator & stuff. Obviously there are limits to how far you can move it out before cutting bumpers becomes an issue, but a little closer to outside air & away from heated components. I just wonder if anyone who kept the original intercooler has tried this? what did you think?

RREVOVIII
09-12-2008, 09:58 PM
not much room to move it, so i doubt it will help your heat soaking problem.. but you can start by making sure you have some sort of heat shield on your intake filter if your not running the stock airbox anymore...

typhoon 28
09-12-2008, 10:31 PM
AEM - shield included - doesn't do much once it hits hot turbo, that's why cooling efficiency of the front-mount is more important. it seems like I could space it a little without cutting bumper re-bar.

mtsevovii
09-12-2008, 11:02 PM
mount fans infront of your intercooler ;)

typhoon 28
09-13-2008, 10:16 PM
I just tried it today, the bottom half will push out an inch more. The top bracket is already pushed out towards the re-bar, the bottom 2 brackets I put 1/2 in. thick round metal spacers between the mounts & core support they attach to. the result was more separation from the hot radiator & closer proximity to bumper opening without cutting the bumper.

No pics yet, but to give an idea it went from this \ to this | the stock mounting was at a slight angle inward from top to bottom, I straigtend it perfectly vertical w/ what I estimate as 4-5 inches of separation of the lower half (which appears to recieve most of the air charge) from the hot radiator core. So in my hypothesis, just 2- 1/2in. thick metal spacers w/ 2 longer bolts should space the core further out w/ little clearance issues.

RREVOVIII
09-13-2008, 10:43 PM
^let us know how it goes, but for us with an aftermarket FMIC, this cannot be done ;)

typhoon 28
09-13-2008, 11:38 PM
^let us know how it goes, but for us with an aftermarket FMIC, this cannot be done ;)

I know, those have a thicker core typically & provide good cooling efficiency. This "low budget solution" was hopefully the help the stock I.C. crowd

typhoon 28
09-21-2008, 07:27 PM
After some trials, it seems my throttle response is a little better. I doubt there will be any noticeable changes in dyno #'s, but the core seems to get a better charge closer to the outside air. I wish I could show you the metal spacers I used, need camera.