PDA

View Full Version : HKS Super Mega Flow intake questions

Matz
03-06-2005, 09:34 AM
Hi everyone,

I'm new here, just bought a used silver 2003 Evo and absolutely love it. After driving an automatic for 16 years, it's nice to have a manual shifter.

I've never been able to keep any of my cars stock, and I am looking at starting with some of the basics. All of my previous cars ended up getting some sort of hi-flow intake system. I ended up purchasing an HKS Super Mega Flow intake last week, but now I'm a little worried.

First, I haven't been able to find very many posts here about the intakes. I only found one that says it's better to use a drop-in filter replacement.

Does anyone have an opinion about this particular intake? I love the way it sounds, and assumed it would help a little on the power side, but would appreciate any other comments.

Thanks!

evo_dadi
03-06-2005, 11:08 AM
imo the intake would really benefit with tuning,just putting them on just doesnt make the car feel right.drop-in's are usually recomended since it flows better than the stock filter and you still get to use the ram air effect of the snorkel.

Matz
03-06-2005, 12:31 PM
Thanks for the reply! Will it just not help, or would it actually hurt the car? I'm planning on going with a P2 Brain Flash at some point anyway, so maybe I'll just install it if it doesn't hurt performance or the car.

EvoVIII
03-06-2005, 12:42 PM
I am sure it will hurt the car performance, and the RPM will DIP, if u put the stock box back on, I am sure u will feel some power gain, and the car will pick up much faster

Matz
03-06-2005, 02:11 PM
I'm planning on getting a Brain Flash P2 as well, so if I tell WORKS that I have this mod, then it should be able to take advantage of it, right?

Thanks!
Dave

EvoVIII
03-06-2005, 02:34 PM
I don't think they have a custom map for After market intake?? but I might be wrong

cerebus
03-06-2005, 02:40 PM
The only way to really tell just how well your intake works is to use a dyno. Talk to the guys at San Rafael Mitsubishi and they might be able to tell you if they've dyno'd a car with your intake.

Obviously, if it really makes a big difference, you should be able to feel it. Look for the Buschur thread that's a sticky as he got the most benefit out of the air filter after other mods were done. So it might be fine if you're going to do other stuff.

The Works guys are great and should be able to help you out as well.

Matz
03-06-2005, 10:46 PM
Ok, thanks everyone for your input. You guys are the best!

Matz
03-14-2005, 11:10 PM
I am sure it will hurt the car performance, and the RPM will DIP, if u put the stock box back on, I am sure u will feel some power gain, and the car will pick up much faster

I think you may be right. I got my SMF installed, and I love the sound of it, but in 5th gear my Evo doesn't seem to pick up as quickly as it did right after the Brain Flash P2. I may experiment with this and put the stock filter back in temporarily, just to see if I'm imagining things.

However, 1st - 3rd seem just as powerful as before... :?:

EvoVIII
03-14-2005, 11:39 PM

I think you may be right. I got my SMF installed, and I love the sound of it, but in 5th gear my Evo doesn't seem to pick up as quickly as it did right after the Brain Flash P2. I may experiment with this and put the stock filter back in temporarily, just to see if I'm imagining things.

However, 1st - 3rd seem just as powerful as before... :?:
trust me, after u put ur Stock box back on, u will feel a different even on 1st-3rd gear pull

Matz
03-15-2005, 04:48 PM
Yup, you were right. All gears pull significantly more than before. I guess that was a huge waste of $$$!!! Anyone want to buy an HKS SMF that was only used for 3 days??? :D