PDA

View Full Version : buddy club cams

rexorz
03-09-2005, 01:18 AM
does anybody here have any input on the buddy club cams? im about to put them in my car either this weekend or next weekend. please give me some input. thanks in advance.

MadStylez707
03-09-2005, 02:39 AM
hey where'd u get them thru and how much did u get them for?...thinking of either getting these or the works 269s....

evo_dadi
03-09-2005, 05:52 AM
cal@gruppe-s or 500whp can order them for you and i think theyre a tad cheaper than the hks.i havent seen anybody who has them yet but i know somebody thats gonna have them soon.

DRFTR8
03-09-2005, 09:09 AM
:twisted: oh yeah.. and thanx to the state im getting them tomorrow with the gears...also im getting the hotside...

mrprotocols
03-09-2005, 09:23 AM
:twisted: oh yeah.. and thanx to the state im getting them tomorrow with the gears...also im getting the hotside...

Let me know how that feel =).. I might get it after april...

LEVIII
03-09-2005, 09:31 AM
Ive heard they are cut by the same factory that cuts cams for HKS

JanSolo
03-09-2005, 10:09 AM
Anyone got info regarding duration, lift and if you need valve springs and retainers?

Whooopasss
03-09-2005, 10:10 AM
looks like they are thesame with HKS.. a tad cheaper. it is a 264/272 combo.

Call Cal at gruppe-s.. they ahve them in stock.

91z28-350
03-09-2005, 10:26 AM
Well, the duration is the same. What about the lift, ramp rates, and lobe separation?

Whooopasss
03-09-2005, 10:33 AM
Buddy Club

http://www.gruppe-s.com/Evo/evoeng/buddyclub_cam.jpg

HKS 264 :
Duration of 264 deg
Duration of 206 deg @ 1mm
Lift of 10.8mm intake / 10.2mm exhaust

HKS 272 :
Duration of 272 deg
Duration of 214 deg @ 1mm
Lift of 10.8mm intake / 10.2mm exhaust

The buddy club is now less $500 at Gruppe-s look to the bottom of the page

http://forums.evolutionm.net/showthread.php?t=122036&highlight=buddy+club l

rexorz
03-09-2005, 10:33 AM
yeah.. alot of people are saying stick with the hks which are proven and stuff.. but yeah.. im not sure.. im still thinking if i want to get them or not... people are saying what if it messes up the head or whatever. its kind of scary because nobody else has it on their car yet...

yeah btw.. im getting them thru cal at gruppe-s

91z28-350
03-09-2005, 10:54 AM
I wouldn't worry about it too much. It looks similar. The only differentiation, if any, may be the ramp rates to the lift@duration. One may be more aggressive than another, but nobody is advertising the full cam profiles. I'm just speaking in general, as I know 0 details on these cams and am making mental notes for the ones I should get.

91z28-350
03-09-2005, 10:58 AM
Oh, one other thing, does anyone know the stock cam profiles? What's the life expectancy of springs with these cams? Every 8k miles or so? Are there recommended springs or seat pressures? I know companies like Crane or Comp Cams always recommend certain springs where you can look up the data.

nebolic
03-09-2005, 11:13 AM
wow wow wow, what do you mean life expectancy of 8k miles... I'm assuming you're talking about the aftermarket cams right?

Theres actually a pretty good thread on EVOm about it.

Nebo

91z28-350
03-09-2005, 11:18 AM
Yep, aftermarket cams. Thanks, I'll search on evom. I just threw that 8k miles number out, because that is somewhat expected in the non-import world with aggressive ramp, high lift, cams. Better springs last longer, but they still wear out.

Edit: Found the thread, thanks. The lifts on the aftermarket cams are really low. It looks like it's just more duration people are going after. I wonder if any of the cam companies have tried using more lift, provided the heads can flow the amount to justify higher lift.

EvoVIII
03-09-2005, 01:08 PM
try it Rax, I am sure those cams will become the best bang for the buck, I am sure the gains are there!!

rexorz
03-09-2005, 11:14 PM
try it Rax, I am sure those cams will become the best bang for the buck, I am sure the gains are there!!

thanks.. i still owe u $3. haha.. i need to meet up with you sometime.. but yeah.. thanks for all the input everybody.

DRFTR8
03-13-2005, 09:48 AM
ok here goes... yesterday i installed my cams with the help of my brother in law and Jay(whoopasss)... pretty easy install, got it done in a total of 3 hours but finished it in 4 cuz we were all bull-sh*ting in between...when we installed it we decided to coat the cam with white lithium grease.. and we couldnt find the spot where to bleed it.. so when it was all done we ran the car for 1.5- 2 hours before we test drove it.... there were no knocking of the lifters at all, it ran smooth all the way thru... we drove it on the highway and noticed that the lag almost disappeared... you could hardly notice it now due to the fact that the car pulls harder than before all the way thru the redline and on the top end is where you feel it :shock: i drove it down to gruppe-s to pick up another part and i had one of the guys there drive it.. he to was amazed on how it ran.. but also i noticed that my exhaust got loud..i am running a full turboback with no cat.... now one issue i had after installing the cams was that it started to leak oil from one of the cam gasket.. so i opened her up again and noticed that when i reused the gasket it didnt seat in correctly and it rubbed on the cams and it cause the spring in the gasket to give.. so now i have to get a gasket and do it the right way and use new gasket... so make note to use new gasket when you install the cams, dont rely on what they tell you... but over all my impression including jay and brother in law is :shock: :shock: :shock: :twisted:

rexorz
03-13-2005, 12:44 PM
dayuum.. im juiced.. did you get any dyno #'s for it?

EvoVIII
03-13-2005, 01:20 PM
oh and be sure to geta new cam seals

MitsuMan
03-13-2005, 01:50 PM
uh duhh!!!! when aever you reseal anything your should use new Cam seals and even a V/c gasket Rubber retains a memery of how it made contact with a given surface Its usually safe to say that it willl never seal the same sometimes youll be ok but not for long the cams should just be soaked is oil or molly lube not white lithium thats used for lubing door hinges but ol well what ever cams and cam seals get a wear pattern just like any thing that moves and creats friction i.e. brake rotors bearing ect. after you start the car run it and 1500 RPM FOR 15 MIN standard breakin procedure to get the lobes to form a wear pattern then your done!!!!! is there any thing I forgot oh yea timing tension it set with a special spaner wrench that fits in the tensioner pulley put the pin in the Hyrdaulic tensoiner and then load the pulley against the belt untill the pin in the hydro tensoiner gets loose. turn the engine over twice (each piston once) and check the pin. it should be loose still other wise your too loose or too tight and there ya go everybody lets cam tonight

evo_dadi
03-13-2005, 02:12 PM
alright mikey :twisted: :twisted: now you gotta watch out more for cops now 8) :lol:

Whooopasss
03-13-2005, 02:15 PM
Yup.. DRFTR8's car now pulls like a mother humper.. I was sweating like a prostitute in church when we were test driving it.. lag was gone.... instantanius power to red. Excellent cams. I should get one myself But my wife belongs to the "Assosiation of Woman Agains Racing Cams and Aftermarket Rims".

evo_dadi
03-13-2005, 02:17 PM
hahahahah cmon jay you gotta work it first man ;) not too sure about sweating prosti part :lol: :lol:

V8KiLL3R
03-13-2005, 02:49 PM
Yup.. DRFTR8's car now pulls like a mother humper.. I was sweating like a prostitute in church when we were test driving it.. lag was gone.... instantanius power to red. Excellent cams. I should get one myself But my wife belongs to the "Assosiation of Woman Agains Racing Cams and Aftermarket Rims".

hahahahaha so does mine, shes the president :lol: :lol: :lol:

lancerboy
03-13-2005, 04:53 PM
Yup.. DRFTR8's car now pulls like a mother humper.. I was sweating like a prostitute in church when we were test driving it.. lag was gone.... instantanius power to red. Excellent cams. I should get one myself But my wife belongs to the "Assosiation of Woman Agains Racing Cams and Aftermarket Rims". :lol: :lol: :lol:

brwnrice
03-13-2005, 05:14 PM
DRFTR8's set up is 264in/272ex using stock cam gears still. now it only needs a good tune. :wink:

rexorz
03-13-2005, 09:34 PM
oh and be sure to geta new cam seals

how much do cam seals run?

MarkSAE
03-13-2005, 09:50 PM
I think cam seals are around $7 each, the last time I ordered some for my old GSX. The seals should be similar in price (they're probably the same part) for the EVO.

How's the idle w/ these cams?

Whooopasss
03-13-2005, 10:09 PM
idle is almost same as stock.. just a little hint that it has cams.. a great buy for $500.

DRFTR8
03-13-2005, 10:18 PM
idle is almost same as stock.. just a little hint that it has cams.. a great buy for $500.

i cant get enough of the idle, specially when you just started it.... :twisted: and when your sitting at the light... also from what Cal told me he can tell from the sound of the car its different when i pulled up at Gruppe-S.. :wink: :twisted:

Gruppe-S
03-14-2005, 02:54 AM
If you guys need these cams, please give me a call! I have special pricing for norcalevo. :)

Thanks

Cal

ob4
03-14-2005, 11:34 AM
over all my impression including jay and brother in law is :shock: :shock: :shock: :twisted:

Good to know that everything went well... your idle can be fixed with a set of cam gears.

-Terry

Whooopasss
03-14-2005, 12:09 PM
over all my impression including jay and brother in law is :shock: :shock: :shock: :twisted:

Good to know that everything went well... your idle can be fixed with a set of cam gears.

-Terry

What Mike means is, he loves the idle!!! it sounds like the old school full race toyota 2tg and 18rg's in the late 80's. Mike might be young, but he is OLD SCHOOL FOR SURE!!

DRFTR8
03-14-2005, 12:33 PM

-Terry

What Mike means is, he loves the idle!!! it sounds like the old school full race toyota 2tg and 18rg's in the late 80's. Mike might be young, but he is OLD SCHOOL FOR SURE!!

yeah cuz i still got some old school blood.... :D

ob4
03-14-2005, 12:41 PM
:lol:

EVO GRIM
03-14-2005, 07:12 PM
Can't wait to see dyno gains!